• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm powder

Sincerd

Drone
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Freestate
So... what are you guys using? I'm running out of titegroup and really want to try something else. Looking at the velocity that n 350 can give you a looks nice. But I think it's too slow for 9mm. I think I've all but settled for n330 for 9mm from 115-147s. I want something that can cover those ranges, is clean, not as smokey as titegroup. Anything else I should consider? Price really isn't a factor I'm powder because it lasts me so long. I wish they had #8s of vv pistol powders.

Why does everyone seem to like n320 so much? It seems like the velocities listed are pretty low compared to the other slower burning powder

Why does everyone seem to like n320 so much? It seems like the velocities listed are pretty low compared to the other slower burning powder
Depends on what your trying to do.
I’m not one to push velocities to the max in pistols or make the biggest flash ball.

So in comparison n330 will have more flash and recoil?
I don’t know VV powders well.
I Typically shoot faster powders in pistol like WST as they are mild to shoot, fun gun stuff.
For service loads WSF is fantastic, decent speeds without getting silly.

Some like to make big blaster loads with something like blue dot.

I switched from Titegroup to BE86 and will never go back. Burns cleaner and not near as smokey as TG. It also has less flash in low light.

4.7grs of Power Pistol is great under 147’s

PP is prolly the best powder for the 9mm. It has such a forgiving pressure curve that you can’t blow anything up. You can reach 6” 357 Magnum revolver velocities in a 9mm carbine using PP.

BD sucks in the 9mm. Unburdened powder, too much flash, too much recoil. POS.

Reactions: txguero and mgrs
I did like using Power Pistol.

I actually like Unique...but it is quite flashy. I'm currently using Titegroup and Clays, although Clays is really for my .38 light loads.

HS-6 is another to try. I've liked that for the few hundred 9mm I've loaded with it. Will be switching back to that for 9mm once I run through the lb of Titegroup I have.

Another vote for BE86. I have another 16lbs of TG to burn through before I can switch completely over. I've used TG in 9mm, 45, and 38 for years but bought a pound of BE86 on a whim and thought it outperformed TG in every category.

I'm kind of on a vv kick ever since I used n120 and n110 for 300 blk. Both work their uses extremely well.

VV N320 under 147 grain zero bullet. No recoil, no flash and accurate as hell. 3.2-3.6 grains depending on the velocity you're looking for.

Reactions: Kadams1563
What do you want to do with it?

I can only recommend what I have used:

General use, mid-range and multi-caliber:
HP38/ WIN231- Very versatile, good 'one' auto/mid-range pistol powder
Alliant Power Pistol- Great advice above. Forgiving, accurate with jacketed ammo but loud and dirty at lower pressures. I wouldn't use it in a .45 for example
Alliant Sport Pistol- More of a gaming powder that excels at lower speed/charge weight loads. Seems like it is just a bit slower burning than titegroup and less smokey

Besides titegroup, other powders that work well for light recoil with cast bullets at minor PF:
-Alliant E3
-Alliant Red Dot/Promo
-Win WST
(most of these are probably best in .45 but I have burned kegs of them in 9mm minor PF loads). WST has some really weird reverse temperature sensitivity to it though.

Running 6 grains of BE-86 under 115g

works very well for me. I've been using BE-86 for years. When I got into reloading (right after the Newtown Shooting) I found an 8lbs jug of it when nothing else could be found anywhere.

I've stuck with it.

Reactions: Alabusa
BD for 147 gr Subs. HS-6 for the standard 115 gr fodder.

HS-6 works better in a powder measure, BD is great for a simple Lee dipper and impossible to double charge for the subs...

I got a 12 lb keg of 700x out of a storage unit on a property my wife sold. It’s old and I’ve been using it for years. 84,000 grains of powder and I think I’m using 4.5 or 5grains per round. That’s 16,000 rounds. Meters well in my Dillon 650

45acp I use WSF but I’ve heard it works well in 9mm also

Reactions: Sniff
My go to pistol powder is Power Pistol. When I was just starting reloading, Winchester 231 was highly recommended by a number of my friends but I couldn't find any for several years so gave up on even trying it since I settled on PP. I tried several powders including Titegroup, Bullseye, Unique, and True Blue but ended up liking Power Pistol the best.

VV N320 under 147 grain zero bullet. No recoil, no flash and accurate as hell. 3.2-3.6 grains depending on the velocity you're looking for.

this is exactly what I use as well. I am loading to 130 PF and usually set at 3.2-3.4.

going out today to see what my old load measures in a new 1911.

Are y'all not getting a lot of flash with power pistol?

Are y'all not getting a lot of flash with power pistol?

I noticed some flash when watching my buddies shoot..but not noticing when behind the sights to put in it perspective If it's speed you are after PP can get you there.

Accuracy with PP is oustanding with 124jhp loads across 5 diff pistols. It's a bulkier powder so it fills the case well and meters very well and for the most part burns cleanly. For these reasons I ended up sticking with PP. N320 is some good stuff too just a bit pricier for me to load in high volume.

I've been using 231/HP38 and Power Pistol in all of my handgun loads for years. No complaints with either.

Reactions: Caterpillardoc
So... what are you guys using? I'm running out of titegroup and really want to try something else. Looking at the velocity that n 350 can give you a looks nice. But I think it's too slow for 9mm. I think I've all but settled for n330 for 9mm from 115-147s. I want something that can cover those ranges, is clean, not as smokey as titegroup. Anything else I should consider? Price really isn't a factor I'm powder because it lasts me so long. I wish they had #8s of vv pistol powders.

What do you want to do with the ammo? If it is for competition then N320 is generally considered the standard for reduced recoil and cleanliness. With that said, any of the common powders in that energy range don't make velocity very well before showing pressure. If you're loading the 147's for self defense and want velocity then a slower powder like HS6 will be better suited.

N320 is low flash and low felt recoil and plays well with polymer coated bullets, competetive pistol shooters love that stuff.

I use HS-6, Power Pistol and AAC#7. But I load my 9MM hot.

For "powder puff" loads, Red Dot and Bullseye are hard to beat.

Anyone use Clays for 9mm? I've heard mixed reviews but plenty of guys using it with success.

The point would be to use only one powder for .38 and 9mm. All plinking style loads.

Other powders I could use for this purpose would be Titegroup, but I don't really like how it meters... its a dirty powder before it even gets ignited lol

Other powders for this purpose could be W231? HS-6 maybe?