• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm Power Pistol

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
New to reloading 9mm, would power pistol work well for a 10.5 9mm pistol and also shorter barrel pistols?

...FWIW, with 5.9gn of PowerPistol I get an average of 1134fps with 115gn Hdy HAP bullet out of my FN9C (3.6" barrel). With 5.1gn I get an average of 1002fps with the 125gn Hdy HAP. These loads pretty much match factory FPS for same bullet weights and neither charge weight is MAX possible per Hornady or Alliant load data.

...another good powder is TrueBlue, 5.2gns with Berry's plated 115gn RN will average 1162fps in the same FN9C. That isn't the MAX possible charge weight per Ramshot's load data.

YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: jLorenzo
...FWIW, with 5.9gn of PowerPistol I get an average of 1134fps with 115gn Hdy HAP bullet out of my FN9C (3.6" barrel). With 5.1gn I get an average of 1002fps with the 125gn Hdy HAP. These loads pretty much match factory FPS for same bullet weights and neither charge weight is MAX possible per Hornady or Alliant load data.

...another good powder is TrueBlue, 5.2gns with Berry's plated 115gn RN will average 1162fps in the same FN9C. That isn't the MAX possible charge weight per Ramshot's load data.

YMMV
Thanks, any comments on the Hornady HAP bullets? Thinking about some of those but 115 fmj will probably do the job. This will just be bulk training ammo.

I just shot a fuck load of 9mm yesterday out of a G19 (testing some KKM precision barrels, which by the way were excellent!).

124gn FMJ
5.3gr Power Pistol
CCI 500 Primers
1.150 COL
Starline Brass

I'm sure I chrono'ed this load when I was first working it up but I couldn't find the data. Everything cycled beautifully, no issues

Thanks, any comments on the Hornady HAP bullets? Thinking about some of those but 115 fmj will probably do the job. This will just be bulk training ammo.

....the HAP bullets are relatively cheap when you buy the 500 qty boxes. Another good thing is if you decide to use the Hornady Defense line of factory ammo with the XTP bullets, your training with the HAP's (assuming you match the FPS) will give you the same relative feel, recoil and POA/POI. No issues with feeding in my FN9C, feed as well as RN/FMJ.

Hornady 9mm HAP Bullets

121_hap_01-2221123.jpg

To evaluate the absolute accuracy/precision of the Hornady 9mm HAP bullets I used a Colt 6450 with a free-floated Noveske barrel.

noveske_9mm_barrel_003__resized-2280699.jpg

molon_benchrest_004-2280698.jpg

25 Yards

10-shot group of 115 grain HAP at 25 yards. Extreme spread = 0.62".

control_load_115_grain_hap_at_25_yards_0-2198240.jpg

10-shot group of 121 grain HAP at 25 yards. Extreme spread = 0.499"

121_grain_hap_25_yard_group-2198237.jpg

10-shot group of 125 grain HAP at 25. Extreme spread = 0.413"

125_hap_group_22-1619400-2198239.jpg

50 Yards

10-shot group of 125 grain HAP at 50 yards. Extreme spread = 0.849".

125_hap_measured_10_shot_group_at_50_yar-2198238.jpg

….

I load 5.8 Power Pistol over 124 grain PD with CCI 500 at 1.120" in my 3" Springfield Hellcat, no chrono data.

The same load runs avg of 1,167 fps in my M&P 2.0 factory 5" barrel per chrono data.

Power Pistol and 115 XTP and HAP is the most accurate combo I have tried.

PP gives good velocities but the recoil is a touch snappy compared to other faster burning powders.

Hornady 9mm HAP Bullets

121_hap_01-2221123.jpg

To evaluate the absolute accuracy/precision of the Hornady 9mm HAP bullets I used a Colt 6450 with a free-floated Noveske barrel.

noveske_9mm_barrel_003__resized-2280699.jpg

molon_benchrest_004-2280698.jpg

25 Yards

10-shot group of 115 grain HAP at 25 yards. Extreme spread = 0.62".

control_load_115_grain_hap_at_25_yards_0-2198240.jpg

10-shot group of 121 grain HAP at 25 yards. Extreme spread = 0.499"

121_grain_hap_25_yard_group-2198237.jpg

10-shot group of 125 grain HAP at 25. Extreme spread = 0.413"

125_hap_group_22-1619400-2198239.jpg

50 Yards

10-shot group of 125 grain HAP at 50 yards. Extreme spread = 0.849".

125_hap_measured_10_shot_group_at_50_yar-2198238.jpg

….
Really enjoy these posts like the Hornady 75gr one especially. Thank you.

How would power pistol compare to HS6?

....I would suggest you visit the Hodgdon web site and run the query for the bullet eights you might use and select ALL powder brands, ALL powders to generate a listing of recommendations that have been tested by Hodgdon. The key factors you want to look at are the Grains (case fill) and the Pressure associated with that charge weight. Don't focus solely on the FPS, the pressure is what will determine if damage occurs to your platform (and you) and the Grains also corresponds to "case fill". A powder that gives a greater case fill decreases the possibility of a "double charge" that the smaller charge weights/case fills can occur if special attention isn't paid during the reloading process. A double charge of 9mm is a guarantee of a bad time...

...availability of powder will be the deciding factor, best to have multiple "options" as opposed to "optimal"...

Last edited:
....I would suggest you visit the Hodgdon web site and run the query for the bullet eights you might use and select ALL powder brands, ALL powders to generate a listing of recommendations that have been tested by Hodgdon. The key factors you want to look at are the Grains (case fill) and the Pressure associated with that charge weight. Don't focus solely on the FPS, the pressure is what will determine if damage occurs to your platform (and you) and the Grains also corresponds to "case fill". A powder that gives a greater case fill decreases the possibility of a "double charge" that the smaller charge weights/case fills can occur if special attention isn't paid during the reloading process. A double charge of 9mm is a guarantee of a bad time...

...availability of powder will be the deciding factor, best to have multiple "options" as opposed to "optimal"...

Thank you. Yes ideally Id like to have the case more full than not. This will be run mostly through a 10.5" semi but also shorter handguns. Gonna buy a lot of it soon just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it one way or another. Don't want to invest if it's not going to be what I need.

Also it would appear that Alliant Power Pistol is not listed there.