• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A burning question.

Texasflyer

Koala Gladiator
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    A number of years ago i read about a process of wrapping a rifle stock in rope, soaking some type of flammable substance and lighting it on fire. The thin places in the rope wrap are supposed to get warmer and draw the oils in the wood to the surface and give a tiger stripe look to the wood. I didnt save what i read then, and i cant find anything on the process now when i search. Im sure somebody on here knows exactly what im talking about. Any info on rope size, accelerant used, time for burning/when to put it out for best results ect ect would be greatly appreciated. I have a stock that i am going to try this on for better or worse very soon, but for better would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can supply.

So we want grill marks on a wood stock? Lol

Any picures of this effect?
    Not grill marks, its supposed to look like this
    ic7p.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

I think it will depend on the finish of the wood. I'm thinking you'd have to strip the finish off of the wood. Oil the wood, then do this process. Afterwards, put a finish back on the wood. I'm not sure how tight the rope should be and how close the rope should be wrapped. I guess it could work.

Good luck!

Chatoyancy !!!!!

Chatoyancy is the look your going for.... usually cause by the growth of the wood......

This video may help, if you want to try and replicate the look.

That was cool, but different than what im talking about. I dont actually want to burn the wood.

I think it will depend on the finish of the wood. I'm thinking you'd have to strip the finish off of the wood. Oil the wood, then do this process. Afterwards, put a finish back on the wood. I'm not sure how tight the rope should be and how close the rope should be wrapped. I guess it could work.

Good luck!
    Yeah, looking at different pics i think its done before final shaping of the wood even. Pretty sure thats why it looks not so great on an allready shaped stocks. Who is the expert on the hide in lost arts? Lol

Yeah, looking at different pics i think its done before final shaping of the wood even. Pretty sure thats why it looks not so great on an allready shaped stocks. Who is the expert on the hide in lost arts? Lol

I think that type of knowledge is even beyond the Hide. GoogleFu is your best bet.

Asking my gunsmith he was trained in a lot of old school methods.

One of his specialties is wood stocks.

Get back to you.

Reactions: Texasflyer
    my friend did that exact same thing with the string on his Kentucky long rifle it turned out really nice . But with that said Id have to buy more of those 100 dollar Mauser rifle to practice on before using something I have only one of , even some cheap wood from the store would be great for practicing on . Good luck if you do it post pics

my friend did that exact same thing with the string on his Kentucky long rifle it turned out really nice . But with that said Id have to buy more of those 100 dollar Mauser rifle to practice on before using something I have only one of , even some cheap wood from the store would be great for practicing on . Good luck if you do it post pics
    Im gonna gather as much of an idea as possible before i attempt it, but i have a decent model 70 stock that i want to try it on. I usually buy a gun partly based on the stocks wood so i dont have many to practice with, and what i have is pretty plain in comparison to what alot of guys have on here. This is more of a thing i havent been able to shake from my mind in the last 20 or so years and think there is alot of knowledge here, i do want to try it, but dont want to do it to every single rifle i own or anything lol.

Technically you could practice it on a 2x4 or scrap whatever wood. Im interested in it historically as well, its interesting so many old rifles have it done and yet i cant find alot about it.

My smith has not done the burnt method, no help. He just dropped off an upper he was working on.

I personally wonder if two different stains could get that look?
    Next beater stock I have will try that.

What's another ten hours worth of sanding anyway. Lol

The wire method, if you took the wire and flatened sections you could get a variation in the pattern?

Last edited:
    I've tried it....results are ....meh....

It doesn't look terrible but it also doesn't look like legit tiger stripe maple.

I did it slightly differently however. I soaked the rope in water and tightly wrapped it around the stock and used a torch to lightly scorch the wood between the wrappings.

Not fire a "metallic solution". Some kind of "chromate" or such.

It was a chemical process that embedded the solution in the wood and caused the striping effect.

Look up old school Kentucky/Pennsylvania lock rifles.

Maybe it was "iron oxide"

Beretta sells some shotguns w burned in grain. Not the Extra wood which was a dip.

the one I saw recently looked good from a distance but was apparent on closer inspection. No substitute for good figured wood but of course it’s pricey.

Have you considered having it dipped? If you google it, you can see that these companies offer wood grain in addition to camo, etc.

Disappointed.

Thought this was going to be about when you go pee.

Also, in before a thread where OP's house caught on fire and he doesn't know why.
    Dude... if my house catches on fire ill just put it out with chlyamidia lol.

Looks like a dog chewed it after i filled up 2 sheets of 150 grit sandpaper getting the nightmare clear coat and stain off

That looks like some really died up wood. I'm not confident that this technique is going to work.

That looks like some really died up wood. I'm not confident that this technique is going to work.
    Its pretty dry, i spent the last few hours sanding it down from clear it could soak up some oils lol.

I think im gonna get it smooth, then do 2 coats of truoil and then try tiger striping it

A number of years ago i read about a process of wrapping a rifle stock in rope, soaking some type of flammable substance and lighting it on fire. The thin places in the rope wrap are supposed to get warmer and draw the oils in the wood to the surface and give a tiger stripe look to the wood. I didnt save what i read then, and i cant find anything on the process now when i search. Im sure somebody on here knows exactly what im talking about. Any info on rope size, accelerant used, time for burning/when to put it out for best results ect ect would be greatly appreciated. I have a stock that i am going to try this on for better or worse very soon, but for better would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can supply.
    My father would just use a torch. The heat pulls oil and darkens the grain.

Aquafortis reagent, check trackofthewolf website, I think this is mostly used on maple stocks though. My old man has used this on stocks and knife handle for along time, makes for a nice finish. There are some videos on youtube as well.

Aquafortis reagent, check trackofthewolf website, I think this is mostly used on maple stocks though. My old man has used this on stocks and knife handle for along time, makes for a nice finish. There are some videos on youtube as well.
    This is interesting!!!!! Thanks! not exactly what i was looking for but awesome none the less.

If the wood doesn't already have the inherent grain patterns you want, no amount of soaking, burning, chemical agents, or even stains are going to make it look the way you want it. Real curly maple looks the way it does because it's got curly grain!

My wife used to do interior faux finishing: made wood fireplace surrounds look like marble, painted drywall to look like barn-wood, painted a wall so it looked like it had been wall-papered. Ultimately you'll need some speciality glazes and such to "paint" over a common wood stock. Look up faux finishing in YouTube. Also search for woodgraining. Lots of different finish possibilities. People use some of those techniques to reproduce wood-finish car interiors and such.

Thats the stuff I remember hearing about on the old Lock rifles......

Last edited:
    Not what I was expecting.
    I was thinking... Who's this boot? Get your ass to the doc and get a shot of penicillin.

The Aquafortis reagent darkens and also pops the naturally occurring grain. If you apply it to clear maple with no curl, you’ll just get darkened maple. The two stocks shown above have natural figure like these maple boards:
    69E60660-F3B5-4730-839F-B72FE6640D51.jpeg

69E60660-F3B5-4730-839F-B72FE6640D51.jpeg

And this walnut board:
    B0DC5CEA-E22A-49D5-9F3D-B6BCE8B25F65.jpeg

Burning the surface is just that, burning the surface. It’ll look like a burned surface and never have the depth and chatoyance of figured wood.

The Aquafortis reagent darkens and also pops the naturally occurring grain. If you apply it to clear maple with no curl, you’ll just get darkened maple. The two stocks shown above have natural figure like these maple boards:View attachment 7620013
    View attachment 7620013

And this walnut board:
    View attachment 7620015

Burning the surface is just that, burning the surface. It’ll look like a burned surface and never have the depth and chatoyance of figured wood.

Whats the red stuff on the maple....some sort of epoxy to fill voids in the wood?

That walnut looks like a birds iridescent feather.

Epoxy with red dye. Making a table for a lady who likes rubies. I fill the voids with the ruby red epoxy, and when I’m done planing flat, staining, and finishing it will look like rubies in the table.

Epoxy with red dye. Making a table for a lady who likes rubies. I fill the voids with the ruby red epoxy, and when I’m done planing flat, staining, and finishing it will look like rubies in the table.

Stay away from the chicks that like diamonds....

What do you do for the ones into Pearl Necklaces?

Back on topic.....whatever epoxy that dude used in the electro burning method video up above is crazy when it glows....that looks like pretty cool work as long as you dont electrocute yourself.

Would be complementing art if you could find a fulgurite that gets produced from beach sand lightning strikes.

Stay away from the chicks that like diamonds....

What do you do for the ones into Pearl Necklaces?

Back on topic.....whatever epoxy that dude used in the electro burning method video up above is crazy when it glows....that looks like pretty cool work as long as you dont electrocute yourself.

Would be complementing art if you could find a fulgurite that gets produced from beach sand lightning strikes.
    I have 2 vases that are lightning glass, some of my favorite peices.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Just for my own curiosity i have formulated a plan. I think im going to wrape the stock in a rope, coat the rope in something i havent decided yet, and put the rifle on a rotisserie over coals and basically cook it for awhile.

Here’s a fiberglass door I did for the house, wood graining and a gel stain, in my old house built in 1873 great uncle woodgrained the doors with a feather , looked good even after 100 years. Sorry a bit off topic.

Attachments

• 43D617CF-611F-46F2-8F57-ED5F44125CE9.jpeg
      43D617CF-611F-46F2-8F57-ED5F44125CE9.jpeg
      750.6 KB · Views: 49
    • Love
    This is the natural figure of curly maple. Using a 50/50 mix of dark walnut/ golden oak stain makes the figure pop. These are the same boards as shown above, except now they have been stained and the 1st coat of oil finish is applied. The first 4-5 coats are thinned with mineral spirits to penetrate and build IN the wood. The last 2-3 coats will be full strength. This will build a tough, durable, repairable finish that is miles deep and brings out the chatoyance.

BF86773E-D20C-4FFE-9F3B-01B37A36F962.jpeg

Last edited:
    This is the natural figure of curly maple. Using a 50/50 mix of dark walnut/ golden oak stain makes the figure pop. These are the same boards as shown above, except now they have been stained and the 1st coat of oil finish is applied. The first 4-5 coats are thinned with mineral spirits to penetrate and build IN the wood. The last 2-3 coats will be full strength. This will build a tough, durable, repairable finish that is miles deep and brings out the chatoyance.

View attachment 7624703
    Fuckin wow