• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A couple quick NF NXS questions

Jedi5150

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Marina, CA
I'm about to pull the trigger on a NF NXS 2.5-10x32 for my new bolt gun (700 XCR Compact Tactical). I just have a few quick questions about which options to get on it.

1. I believe the reticle can be changed at a later date. Is this also true of the turrets? In other words, could I start off with basic MOA turrets and later upgrade to .1 Mil and Zero-Stop turrets?

2. I'm still a bit confused by all the FFP vs SFP talk. I anticipate doing the majority of my shooting at a low power setting. I've read that a FFP reticle is smaller/ thinner at lower settings, is this right? And is the main advantage of having a FFP reticle to be able to estimate range at any power setting? I guess what I'm getting at is for primarily low power settings and shorter distances, what will I be giving up by not getting a FFP?

Thanks in advance

Re: A couple quick NF NXS questions

For mostly short distances. Range mishaps should not be too bad. I would get SFP. I don't even know if you can get FF in the compact NXS's maybe. On the turrets, I would just have it match the reticle whichever way you go. I like MOA, get one and learn it. Swapping everything around just makes it harder. And also, I would look into a NXS 3.5x15 zero stop with either np-r1 or np-r2 reticle with high speed MOA turrets. Thats what I would do, but thats me.

I believe that NF charges to change reticles. I think you would be much better off waiting until you know exactly what you want, then purchasing that. There is not much point in spending money if your going to spend even more later to get what you could have started with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that NF charges to change reticles. I think you would be much better off waiting until you know exactly what you want, then purchasing that. There is not much point in spending money if your going to spend even more later to get what you could have started with. </div></div> Amen Brother. And I also believe it costs about 4-500 dollars to swap reticles

What they all said. Make sure you either get moa/moa type or mil/mil type. It costs a lot of money to either change the reticles or either change the knobs. Its cheaper to just buy it right the first time and save money.
Also, make sure you get ZS, theres no hash lines to indicate which turn you are on elevation.
And no buenos on FFP for compacts. I wish, I'd be first in line.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't intend to change the reticle, it's the turrets I'd be looking to change. I was using the reticle as an example that things can be changed down the road. In other words, the exact scope I want is out of my price range. I can either A- get the NXS with the base turret set-up, and upgrade turrets later, or B- get a less expensive (and lower quality) scope. I suppose C- (save up for the NXS with the nice turrets) is an option, but I've waited a long time to get this rifle to beign with and don't look forward to waiting more months to get the Zero-Stop and .1 Mil turrets.

From the factory service form

___ .1 Mil* w/ Zero Stop- $320
___ .25 MOA** - $150
___.25 MOA** w/ZeroStop- $320
___ 1.0 E & .5 W MOA** w/ZeroStop - $320

*Mil = ( Mil-Radian or 10 cm. @ 100 meters)
**MOA = (Minute of Angle or 1.047 in. @ 100 yards)
-ZeroStop conversions are available on the NXS 1-4x, 2.5-10x, 3.5-15x, and 5.5-22x models. The ZeroStop is an elevation adjustment conversion only.
-Compact model conversions include a Windage Limiter windage adjustment. Velocity reticles are only available for 2.5-10x scopes.
-.1 Mil-Radian adjustment conversions are available on the NXS 1-4x, 2.5-10x, 3.5-15x, and 5.5-22x models.
-An added benefit of conversions is that each riflescope undergoes a 100% inspection and testing on all mechanical and optical components. The service includes any updates and upgrades to meet factory-new standards. This process is completed with a 70 point inspection that ensures that current factory specifications are met; excluding repairs to cosmetics and/or external wear and tear.

Before you pull the trigger my advice is:

- Decide before you purchase on the type of reticle that you want. If its a mil based reticle get matching turrets. Same goes for moa reticles.

- If you intend on ranging using you reticle, chose a reticle thats easy to range with.

- Exactly how critical is ranging with your scope going to be? Are you going to be using it in a tactical situation where timing is critical on estimations and follow up shots? If you answered yes then FFP will make your life easier.

That main advantage of FFP over SFP is that FFP offers faster ranging whilst using the reticle and the operator can make quick holdovers using mils at any power.

IMO if you can save up and get the scope you want off the bat, do that. If your getting a 2nd hand NXS at a crazy low price and think you may update in the future, then maybe updating later is justified by a low purchase price.

AQC440, thanks for that, I didn't see it on their site.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice. Vman, your description is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!