• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A&D FX120 issues help needed

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
So I’m having a hard time getting my scale to stabilize.
I have the top on and side screens on. No major drafts.
I have it plugged into a UPS
its level and I left it plugged in for a day powered up so it’s definitely warmed up.
It’s in my garage 87* and 50%
Any ideas on what to do.

I’d agree on moving it inside if it were fluttering but its just continually increasing, that says to me that it’s not a draft but something else.
Taking it inside when the ac isn’t on is still a good test though.

Mine has done this a couple times now. I’m using V2 > V3 Bluetooth module controlled from the app. I assumed it might be a bug. Cycling power seems to fix it. Never had issue prior to the new module.

According to the A&D manual:
 Install the balance in an environment where the temperature and humidity are not excessive. The best operating temperature is about 20°C / 68°F at about 50% relative humidity.
 Install the balance where it is not exposed to direct sunlight and it is not affected by heaters or air conditioners.
 Install the balance where it is free of dust.
 Install the balance away from equipment which produces magnetic fields.
 Install the balance in a stable place avoiding vibration and shock. Corners of rooms on the first
floor are best, as they are less prone to vibration.
 The weighing table should be solid and free from vibration, drafts and as level as possible.
 Level the balance by adjusting the leveling feet and confirm it using the bubble spirit level.

I noticed when I set mine up, it would be fine for a few hours but by morning it would be .06 or more off.

even when I was playing around with it, by the 10th weighing of a charge it would be off.

wiping it down with a dryer sheet, even hanging a dryer sheet under the lid, made it go away.

yours seems to be a bigger issue, but I would at least try the dryer sheet first

I hear something running like a fan. The faintest breeze or air movement from a fan will cause it to not be stable. I have a ceiling fan in my office and have to turn it off when I’m ready to start loading with my V3.

I hear something running like a fan. The faintest breeze or air movement from a fan will cause it to not be stable. I have a ceiling fan in my office and have to turn it off when I’m ready to start loading with my V3.
No fan, I think in the video it’s the compressor on a deep freezer kicking in (different electrical circuit ) but if it is air current I would expect it to bounce. This will just climb it will go from zero to 40 grains then bounce than go down.

So I’m having a hard time getting my scale to stabilize.
I have the top on and side screens on. No major drafts.
I have it plugged into a UPS
its level and I left it plugged in for a day powered up so it’s definitely warmed up.
It’s in my garage 87* and 50%
Any ideas on what to do.

Disconnect trickler and auto throw, see if problem goes away.
Reconnect just autothrow, problem return?
If problem does not return, reconnect trickler.
Turn off BT or remove the plug in electronics from scale. Need to see if scale has issue or problem is induced by add on electronics.

Potentially something in electronics feeding back that is causing an error.
Potentially an EMI or magnetic field issue.

I test it by putting scale inside house in a stable table,stable temperature, away from Fluorescent lights, and anything that can interfere with scale? Vibrations? Electrical outlets that doesn't have any other equipments on the same line? Make sure the scale feets are balance and did you Calibrated the scale? Also use dryer sheets or spray for static electricity. Also as test, try a ground wire in back of scale? Lastly, lift the chrome plate and make sure that is clean below.
Try all those first before you need to use your warranty service which is 5 years from date of purchase. I ended up sending mine in and the customer service was outstanding. I hope this is of help and good luck.

So I brought it in side using the sale UPS and it was stable!

so now it’s a question of temperature or Magnetic field.

no fluorescent lights in the area so that’s not the issue and I don’t think static was the issue. I’m go to see if I can find a nice isolated spot in the garage and test it there. I also ordered an anti static mat with ground I can set it on

Spitballing here, is there some large mass of ferrous metal near the scale when in the garage and not in the house? I have zero experience with this scale but it would seem something that is that sensitive to magnetic fields would be affected by it.

I've built my own electronic compass that required calibrating the sensor for both hard-iron (think magnetic fields) and soft-iron (ferrous metals etc.) distortions. No idea if this scale has a way to calibrate for both types of distortion.

Lotta plastic around the scale.
Air currents over plastic can / will generate a charge.
Clear plastic container with plastic inside, behind and right of scale.
Charge builds, scale reacts.
Plastic lid on trickler, trickler extends over platten.

I went to metal pan, got rid of the plastic cup as it was source of error.

Last edited:
So I was playing around Having moved it I. Side it stabilized perfectly.
So what was the issue magnetic field, static, air currents or temperature.
So I moved it back to the garage but inside an enclosure. The enclosure is a high density polymer. I wiped down all surfaces with a commercial tread anti static solution. I’m using the same UPS I used indoors. The scale is on an anti static mat and the scale is grounded to the mat.

temperature is 88* and humidity still at 50%
no fans and air current is stable and the unit is shielded on 5 sides.

I’m thinking it’s just the operating temperature.
anyone have success running this unit in an area that is hot?

EF989563-9E98-46D5-8475-8F55921D1A72.jpeg

I don’t have that scale but I do have another brand with the same magnetic restoration thingy. Mine likes to be around 72 degrees. That’s when it’s most stable. Around 78-80 is where it starts drifting up and down.

So I was playing around Having moved it I. Side it stabilized perfectly.
So what was the issue magnetic field, static, air currents or temperature.
So I moved it back to the garage but inside an enclosure. The enclosure is a high density polymer. I wiped down all surfaces with a commercial tread anti static solution. I’m using the same UPS I used indoors. The scale is on an anti static mat and the scale is grounded to the mat.

temperature is 88* and humidity still at 50%
no fans and air current is stable and the unit is shielded on 5 sides.

I’m thinking it’s just the operating temperature.
anyone have success running this unit in an area that is hot?

View attachment 7391433

Used my FX-120i yesterday at 87 F, zero issues.
You have a ton of plastic around scale. I realize you wiped with staticide but I suspect that is root cause; too much plastic that is generating a charge.

When you moved scale inside, how much plastic from garage went inside also?

So got a call today from both A&D and Cambridge equipment who I purchased it from.

first off I just want to say both companies were top notch, informative and a pleasure to speak with.

consensus from both was let’s get it replaced.

now the gentlemen that A&D he did indicate that there has been some issues with drift related to the power supply for the autothrow. In this case since the unit had issues both with and with out the autothrow he does not believe that’s it and typical thedrift he has seen is in the hundredths of a grain on the 20grain shift I was seeing.

so now we wait for the replacement and will see what’s up

May new scale solve the issue and you can get back to loading w/o further drama / troubles.