• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Few Armalite AR-10 Build Questions:

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    Greetings Y'all, and Top of the New Year to ya!!!!

I am seriously wanting to complete my build this year. Any offerings of assistance, guidance, and information is greatly appreciated. I'm not afraid to admit/state what I don't know. I don't know much about the AR platform in and of itself. We have practically NO exposure to them up here in Canada, and even less exposure to the AR-10 platform. Hence why I am building one. Jumping in with both feet and what's left of my wallet, and going nuts. I'm intending a "typical" Long Range type AR. I've no interest in CQB type application with this one

To be expressly clear, we are talking about Armalite here. I'm probably going to be firing this mostly from the Left Hand position. Over the past few years, I have amassed the following parts:

Lower,
    Lower Parts Kit
    Bolt Carrier Group
    Standard trigger
    A2 buttstock
    Upper (AR10 T, I believe)
    Standard Pistol Grip
    a few M-14 magazines

I do want to upgrade to a Magpul PRS stock, Gieselle Trigger, and maybe some Magpul magazines. As it is, so far I have a few M-14 magazines that I have to "convert" to work in this AR.

I still need to acquire:

Bolt Stop Plunger Spring
    -should be simple yet nearly Unicorn status up here. Can someone simply give me dimensions ie: length and 'strength'?

Charging Handle
    - so many to choose from, yet which one would be 'best'? Ambidextrous?

Barrel
    -I'm wanting to get a blank, and turn/profile/chamber it myself. 6mm Creedmoor is the intent.

Hand-guard
    -I've some Aluminum pieces acquired and set aside for this project. Looking to make it myself as well. Input/suggestions anyone?

Muzzle Brake
    -Is this something really needed and/or helpful? Or is it primarily for the ease of mounting a silencer?

Pistol Grip
    -Again, with so many out there, what is the most comfortable/useful for precision (very slow rate of fire, prone) shooting.

Magazines
    -I obviously need to 'alter' these stock M-14 magazines, and what (if any) points are there to watch out for? Also, are there any improvement parts/followers that would improve function?

Gas Tube

Gas Block
    -This too I would like to make myself. Pointers as to what to aim towards, and/or what to stay away from are appreciated. I've read about many different folks talking about "adjusting" the gas via gas block, as well as turning the gas on and off, etc. Best of all world designs?

Barrel Extension
    -Its been suggested that I don't pursue building this, due to heat-treating needs and whatnot. Therefore, are there choices of these as well, or simply one to choose from?

That's it for the moment. There are so many different threads here, as well as so many other sites containing bazillions of other opinions of 'what is best' and whatnot. The folks here are generally of a different mindset, and aren't really gearing towards Wolf ammo and spray-and-pray functions.... so hence my questions here.

If I knew the specific'er questions to ask, I'd have done that already. I'm jumping in here with both feet, and wanting to manufacture as much as I can, and do it right. I don't want to just 'use' this platform, I want to know as much as I can about it and get involved.

Thank in advance, and I'm appreciative of your help. I know I don't know everything yet,,,,, gimme another week. HA.

Greetings Y'all, and Top of the New Year to ya!!!!

I am seriously wanting to complete my build this year. Any offerings of assistance, guidance, and information is greatly appreciated. I'm not afraid to admit/state what I don't know. I don't know much about the AR platform in and of itself. We have practically NO exposure to them up here in Canada, and even less exposure to the AR-10 platform. Hence why I am building one. Jumping in with both feet and what's left of my wallet, and going nuts. I'm intending a "typical" Long Range type AR. I've no interest in CQB type application with this one

To be expressly clear, we are talking about Armalite here. I'm probably going to be firing this mostly from the Left Hand position. Over the past few years, I have amassed the following parts:

Lower,
    Lower Parts Kit
    Bolt Carrier Group
    Standard trigger
    A2 buttstock
    Upper (AR10 T, I believe)
    Standard Pistol Grip
    a few M-14 magazines

I do want to upgrade to a Magpul PRS stock, Gieselle Trigger, and maybe some Magpul magazines. As it is, so far I have a few M-14 magazines that I have to "convert" to work in this AR. MAGPUL MAGS WILL NOT WORK WITH AN ARMALITE AR-10. While some newer Armalites (the AR-10A models) have been built to used only the DPMS/KAC pattern mags like the Magpul LR/SR mags, the far more common AR-10B (Armalite pattern mags/converted M1A/M14 mags) won't work with the Magpul mags unless you DRAMATICALLY modify the mags which, in my experience, can compromise their integrity/function. The PRS stock is a nice addition for a precision large-frame AR. The addt'l weight in the butt helps to balance things out slightly, especially with a longer/heavier barrel. All of the Geissele triggers will work with the Armalite AR-10 pattern rifles. Its your call on which of the umpteen different models Bill makes will best fill your needs. I personally like both the SSA-E and SD-E for non-adjustables and the HS NM for an adjustable trigger.

I still need to acquire:

Bolt Stop Plunger Spring
    -should be simple yet nearly Unicorn status up here. Can someone simply give me dimensions ie: length and 'strength'? I don't have one in hand to give you the specific measurements, but I'll see what I can do. Also, they are the SAME part as an AR-15 plunger (and spring and pin too for that matter) if that will help you more easily source one in Canada.

Charging Handle
    - so many to choose from, yet which one would be 'best'? Ambidextrous? The best "ambi" charging handle for the large-frame ARs is the Rainier Arms/AXTS Raptor 7.62 as seen here for one example: https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3335

Barrel
    -I'm wanting to get a blank, and turn/profile/chamber it myself. 6mm Creedmoor is the intent. You picked the right platform for a 6mm CM build based on the design/function of the Armalite bolt/carrier/firing pin hole. I'm assuming you can source quality barrel blanks "up North" so I won't go on at length on this one.

Hand-guard
    -I've some Aluminum pieces acquired and set aside for this project. Looking to make it myself as well. Input/suggestions anyone? Tons of options. I have never done a full DIY handguard despite having modified a ton of them over the years. Best to have a long look around at all the options available on the market these days to get an idea of what you like/dislike then design away from there.

Muzzle Brake
    -Is this something really needed and/or helpful? Or is it primarily for the ease of mounting a silencer? It is mostly a matter of personal preference. Many large-frame ARs that I see, especially those with longer/heavier barrels that weigh half a metric ton fully equipped do NOT need a muzzle device/threaded barrel unless it is a matter of the owner needed further recoil reduction/muzzle flip/etc. or for mounting a suppressor as you observed.

Pistol Grip
    -Again, with so many out there, what is the most comfortable/useful for precision (very slow rate of fire, prone) shooting. I am a big proponent of the Ergo Tactical Deluxe grips for the large-frame ARs or any AR for that matter that is for a dedicated precision rig. They have different models, including some with adjustable palm shelfs/rests, as well as different textures (soft/pencil eraser style or harder, less tactile models). Here's a link: ERGO Grips - Rifle Grips

Magazines
    -I obviously need to 'alter' these stock M-14 magazines, and what (if any) points are there to watch out for? Also, are there any improvement parts/followers that would improve function? As noted above...on the Armalite pattern ONLY rifles/lowers, you are stuck with either: a) modified/converted M1A/M14 mags; or b) Armalite production Gen II OEM mags (not sure about availability of the new, Armalite production mags in Canada though). Furthermore, nobody makes "improved" parts for the Armalite pattern mags to speak of, aside from the original Magpul mag pulls. Wolff makes extra-power mag springs for the 20-round mags (converted or OEM), but that's it. As for other internals like floorplates, etc., you are stuck.

Gas Tube The Armalite pattern rifles use a slightly longer gas tube than other large-frame AR platform rifles. For example, the DPMS LR-308 pattern rifles with rifle-length gas systems use the same tube as the AR-15 rifle-length systems. The gas system lengths on both rifle and carbine for the Armalite AR-10 are longer. You'll need a specific Armalite-length tube unless you are going to have your barrel customized with a different gas tube/system length.

Gas Block
    -This too I would like to make myself. Pointers as to what to aim towards, and/or what to stay away from are appreciated. I've read about many different folks talking about "adjusting" the gas via gas block, as well as turning the gas on and off, etc. Best of all world designs? Can't help you on a gas block design, but for an adjustable unit, the sky is the limit. There are multiple types/designs ll with their respective advantages/disadvantages. I'm a big proponent of the click-detent adjustable blocks, especially those from SLR Rifleworks in Florida which give you ~15 or so settings from full off/closed to wide open with lots of levels in between.

Barrel Extension
    -Its been suggested that I don't pursue building this, due to heat-treating needs and whatnot. Therefore, are there choices of these as well, or simply one to choose from? Again...not sure on import regs for parts to Canada, but Armalite-pattern barrel extensions can be a ROYAL PAIN IN THE @$$ to get even here in the states. Here's a link to one that is currently available, but again...not sure on how you'll be able to get it: Armalite AR10 Barrel Extension w/ Feed Ramps Phosphate

See above in RED.

Looking through the parts list, it appears that I also need:

Slip Ring Spring
    Slip Ring
    Barrel Nut
    Slip Ring Retaining Ring

Thank you for your input ORD, and anyone feel free to offer up dimensions or locations therein. I've got time on my hands, so I'll spin off what I can, on the lathe or mill.

Armalite now makes a new lower that they've tweaked to be compatible with Magpul mags. Save the money and just get a set of DPMS receivers. they've plenty good enough for what you want to do.

DON'T try finish the barrel yourself. UNLESS you're already doing it professionally. Save yourself the headache and just buy a readymade barrel.

White, thanks for your input. Care to explain further, especially the barreling?

As stated above, I already have the Upper, Lower, LPK, BCG, stock and grip. Are you proposing that I doorstop these items?

But I am real curious though, why you would say to leave the barreling to 'the professionals'. Please, tell me.

I think White is proposing that you scrap all the major components you have accumulated thus far and instead go with a completely different upper/lower set solely for the purposes of being able to use @#$%ing Magpul magazines! ;)

Look...there are multiple advantages to the Armalite platform over the DPMS/KAC and vice versa. With a 6.5CM or the 6CM you are proposing to build, I think you will find that the Armalite platform is actually superior in some respects. On the DPMS pattern platform, when running cartridges in the .260, 6.5CM, 6CM class, the 0.080" DPMS firing pin is susceptible to causing primer cratering and piercing...especially when running heavier loads/bullets. The Armalite pattern uses a smaller 0.068" firing pin that functions much easier on the primers. That is but one example of why the Armalite, at least in this instances, is a better platform on which to base your 6CM gas-gun build.

At the end of the day, there is absolutely ZERO wrong with the Armalite in comparison to other large-frame ARs. I have owned, built and otherwise worked on more Armalite pattern rifles than I care to recall and not one of them was in any way, shape or form "less" than any other comparable large-frame AR on the market...PERIOD. People can debate the pros/cons of the various large-frame platforms until they turn blue in the face and lose even more brain cells in the process (which could be disastrous for some who engage in the argument as they are already on the shallow end of the brain cell pool), but at the end of the day, for your stated purposes, stick with what you already have and build it up as you see fit. Do it right and it will serve you QUITE WELL.

All that said...taking a barrel blank and turning it into a precision gas-gun barrel is not something that a "novice" should do and should generally be left "to the professionals." But then again...I, like White, have ZERO idea about your level of skill/expertise/etc. with respect to the work you are proposing to engage in, so I'll leave it to you to decide what your abilities permit/prohibit. There is a LOT that can go wrong and you need to be VERY well educated/trained before you go off trying to just up and make a barrel for this project or the results could be...well...not good. ;)

I originally purchased an AR10-T with the expectation that I'd be SASS'ing it because I had a few very specific things I wanted...

Trigger
    I went with the SSAE since I knew I was SASS'ing my build and I've never regretted it for the second the 2 stage pull is AWESOME.

Charging Handle
    Raptr - https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3335

Best charging handle I've ever used.

Barrel
    Lothar Walther makes the best ArmaLite barrels around but, your best bet, if you're doing this yourself -- is to buy a Lilja and an Armalite Extension -- Go the full mile.

Hand-guard
    I went with PRI. Not only is the handguard solid as a rock, it's lighter than all hell too.

Precision Reflex - Product Detail - GenIII Armalite 308 Carbon Fiber Forearm 14" length w Holes no Rails, Black - $333.00

Muzzle Brake
    I have a Surefire 762-RC so, I went with the Surefire MB, of course...That being said, Premier Weapon System's breaks are amazing.

Precision Rifle Compensator, 5/8x24 threads, .308, retail packaging - PWS Muzzle Devices

Pistol Grip
    This is 100% opinion based but, I prefer the Hogue. There's also the palm swelled version -- That's pretty awesome too.

Magazines
    I bought all of mine directly from ArmaLite.

Gas Tube
    Comes with the block.

Gas Block
    This COMPLETELY depends on your barrel due to size but, I went with PRI's low-pro AGB and haven't looked back, at all...Love the adjustability especially with a suppressor.

Barrel Extension
    I know you can buy them but, I forget where...Addressed this earlier.

Right now, the focus here is trying to find/track down a barrel extension. Seems these things are about rare'er than hens teeth up here. Ya'll should relish in the fact that you've access to so many parts, just sitting there on shelves and whatnot.

And yet, key components such as those just don't seem to exist, up here. Kinda makes 'builds' seemingly impossible. Even though they are legal. Protect your rights.

Right now, the focus here is trying to find/track down a barrel extension. Seems these things are about rare'er than hens teeth up here. Ya'll should relish in the fact that you've access to so many parts, just sitting there on shelves and whatnot.

And yet, key components such as those just don't seem to exist, up here. Kinda makes 'builds' seemingly impossible. Even though they are legal. Protect your rights.

Google...

In stock here

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1147-1

And here

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARMEA1147-1.aspx

Pmags will not work in AR10's.

Masked, thank you ever so much for your help. Seeing as neither of those two companies ship to Canada, would you be so kind as to Google...... for me some more? It would be so greatly appreciated.

CK, yeah, I got that, as other have said earlier in this thread that Pmags won't work in an Armalite. Thanks.

Bear with my frustration guys, but finding the stuff up here is nowhere near as easy as it is for ya'll down there. And no, it isn't our gov't or legislatures that has nullified the supply, either.

Like I said earlier, the stuff is legal here, just near impossible to find/get. But I'm grasping at straws, and attempting to expend all venues for suggestions.

Last edited:
    White, Thank you. Another example of what I had no idea of. That being,,, Brownells has a "exportable" section. Now all I have to do is pray that one day they'll have an Armalite style barrel extension. The only AR-10 one that is listed there, is for a DPMS style Upper. I'm assuming that it is of no use to me, right? No way of making it work?

I'm quite determined to complete this build. All things considered, what with our budget here and whatnot.... this is the 3rd year on this one build. Looking forward to actually pulling the trigger on it, and hopefully it will be this summer.

I really do appreciate all the help here. I just get so frustrated when I'm directed to "just go across the street to your local Mom & Pop Gun Shop and pick one up" like ya'll can do. It's a whole different world up here, thanks to your State Department.

I am willing (and somewhat able) to make/machine parts such as Charging Handles and whatnot. Does anyone have any drawings/specifications that they'd be willing to share with me? Not looking to 'manufacture' for sales,,,, just want to make my own parts for myself.

I don't have access to CNC, but I do have some access to a manual Lathe and Mill. I "know a guy"... so if anyone can give me dimensions, I'll eliminate items from the list.

Again, this is for an Armalite, AR-10.

Doesn't ANYONE have either the dimensions, or the ability to actually measure what they have on hand, and share them with me? I'm not asking for the reactor-core plans for the latest Super-Sub. Just simply a few parts like starting with a Charging Handle. Please.

Sorry Sean, I'm not being as much help as I'd like to be.

*White, Thank you. Another example of what I had no idea of. That being,,, Brownells has a "exportable" section. Now all I have to do is pray that one day they'll have an Armalite style barrel extension. The only AR-10 one that is listed there, is for a DPMS style Upper. I'm assuming that it is of no use to me, right? No way of making it work?*

As far as I know (Not an expert like some of the guys over at AR15.com) The only difference between the Dpms and Armalite is the pin spacing. So far as the barrel extensions fitting between the uppers - (You really need to post the question at AR15.com) The barrel extensions will interchange BUT - You need to use a matching bolt. If you use a DPMS extension you need to use a Dpms bolt. You can't mix the extensions and the bolts.

Now that's for premade barrel kits. Since you're going custom, you might be able to make it work.
    ----
    I still need to acquire:

Bolt Stop Plunger Spring
    -should be simple yet nearly Unicorn status up here. Can someone simply give me dimensions ie: length and 'strength'?

Ar15.com should be able to give you that.

Charging Handle
    - so many to choose from, yet which one would be 'best'? Ambidextrous?

You're a lefty so yes an Ambi handle does become a necessity when firing from prone.

Barrel
    -I'm wanting to get a blank, and turn/profile/chamber it myself. 6mm Creedmoor is the intent.

Hand-guard
    -I've some Aluminum pieces acquired and set aside for this project. Looking to make it myself as well. Input/suggestions anyone?

Back in the old days the competition shooters just used pieces of exhaust pipe. Since Your building a custom barrel/extension it wouldn't be hard at all to have the extension made so you just slide on a piece of pipe and screw it down tight.

Muzzle Brake
    -Is this something really needed and/or helpful? Or is it primarily for the ease of mounting a silencer?

I have rifles with and without brakes, I can't tell the difference.

Pistol Grip
    -Again, with so many out there, what is the most comfortable/useful for precision (very slow rate of fire, prone) shooting.

Back in the day I used one of the "target" style pistolgrips with the big ring handstop. I used it twice, took it off and have never used another like it. I recently bought a magpul Miad and I love the thing. Very hand filling and allows one handed control of my rifle.

Magazines
    -I obviously need to 'alter' these stock M-14 magazines, and what (if any) points are there to watch out for? Also, are there any improvement parts/followers that would improve function?

Search the internet for a machining guide or a schematic that shows the EXACT dimensions of where the hole needs to be. You have very small tolerances between a functioning magazine and a paperweight.

Gas Tube

Gas Block
    -This too I would like to make myself. Pointers as to what to aim towards, and/or what to stay away from are appreciated. I've read about many different folks talking about "adjusting" the gas via gas block, as well as turning the gas on and off, etc. Best of all world designs?

The best gas regulator I ever got to work with was the first gen FN - Minimi (M249 Saw). It allows for multiple positions and would unscrew out the front so you could clean the entire assembly.