• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft A few newbie ghillie suit questions ...

BravoSix

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Hi - Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've searched through the old posts and am getting ready to make my first real ghillie suit. (I made a sniper's cape a long time ago, but it sucks). Anyway, there are a couple things that I'm not sure of...
1. I'm using DCU's as a base. Should I cut the pockets off the blouse before glueing on the skids, or is it OK to just remove the pocket buttons and glue the skids over the pockets. (I was thinking that the pockets might give a little extra padding)
2. What type of mesh is best to use over the back and armpit vents? I bought some screen used on screen doors, but I'm thinking that it might not be the best material for this task.

Thanks,
B6

Re: A few newbie ghillie suit questions ...

I cut off my pockets before putting on the skids on my second suit. I just dont see a reason to leave them on it takes like 20 seconds to rip out the stitches. As for the venting I used a mesh bag and just cut it to fit into strips to fit. I found that to work great for me.

Re: A few newbie ghillie suit questions ...

I remove all the pockets,the skid plates and netting will also cover the cargo pockets and I remove them also and resew them on the back of the pants for two large stow pockets.You can also sew the pockets from the top to the bottom of your sleves.

Use a porthole mesh for the vent holes that you can get from rockywoods.com,it comes in OD green or coyote.They also have 1000d cordura in DCU that you can use for the skid plates,but will have to sew it on because glues will not stick to it like it will to canvas.