• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

A Few Questions on 243 Build

RPFrye

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2007
Clearwater, FL.
Would like some qualified input on a .243 I am considering. Still back & forth on .308 or .243, so first of all I am curious if it makes any sense to build a .243 if I don't reload... is there good factory ammo available that justify 7.5 to 8 twist rifling?

Also, talking to Kreiger about the adv/ disadvantages of CM -vs- Stainless barrels... they claim better barrel life and stronger barrel with chrome-moly, which is why they don't put a minimum contour requirement on CM. Is there any advantage to stainless barrels assuming proper coating and care of CM?

Re: A Few Questions on 243 Build

From what I understand.....stainless is harder to machine, will not rust as easily and easier to clean.

Pop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFrye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious if it makes any sense to build a .243 if I don't reload... is there good factory ammo available that justify 7.5 to 8 twist rifling?</div></div>

I would say not if you don't reload. I started reloading before I got my 243 and it hasn't seen any factory loaded ammunition. As a matter of fact, I don't know what "match grade" ammunition is available off the shelf for 243...if any.

I would say either reload and get the 243 or don't reload and get the 308. In that order. Either way, you should get into reloading
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not cheap, but you can get a little better deal.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/Performance-Ma...-20/700/Product

There's no better time to start reloading.

J </div></div>

Thanks... at least I can shoot until I get into reloading. At that price, the motivation to reload will certainly be there!