• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses A girl looking for a long range course to take

Creedmoor Girl

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Northwest.
So I have a Noveske build Creedmoor 6.5.
I am looking into taking a long range shooting course this fall.
Taking into account the rifle I'll be taking, and that I am new to long range shooting.
Recommendations would be appreciated!

Not sure what part of the world you're in, but I've been to both a DMR class (better suited to your rifle) and precision rifle class at The Site in northern Illinois. While they covered the same topics, I was happy with both classes. I thought the accomodations were great also.

So I have a Noveske build Creedmoor 6.5.
I am looking into taking a long range shooting course this fall.
Taking into account the rifle I'll be taking, and that I am new to long range shooting.
Recommendations would be appreciated!

Rifles Only in Texas or K&M in TN would be two of the best.

Go to a highpower match, and tell the shooters you need to learn some long-range shooting. Most likely one or two of your local [new] friends will be able to show you what you need to know. Also, if there is a 500 or 1,000 yd. range near you, just go there and ask for help. There's likely somebody sitting around with nothing better to do, who would be willing to share expertise.

For real world class LR and ELR input speak to Gunsite in Arizona. Col. Coopers place has led the way for a very long time. You can find Cory Trapp on here and liase with him direct .

Rbros, out of Washington is doing a female only class this mid summer. They are both top notch shooters, people, and teachers. I will be sending my fiancée who is just getting into prs.

Ladd and Brent are some of the nicest guys I've met in the sport, and the resort is amazing. Take a look at http://www.millcreekshootingresort.com. This will be the site of a fall PRS match as well as a big money shoot in June. I can vouch for the guys there - they are great folks to be around!

It's in Colorado as well....

Sniper Central is in Montana and what a bunch of saps.

Always good to have some new shooters get into long range. I see a lot of responses with good schools, but I have to ask what exactly are you looking to do? Shooting long range means different things to different people. Are you looking to reach a specific goal distances? Just shoot paper or steel? are you going to be using your skills for hunting? Your rifle is good and you choose a great caliber, and depending on the barrel length, you can shoot some good long distances with it as long as you have a quality optic. I run a training school, we are pretty far from you, but figured I'd ask to help you maybe narrow down the proper training for yourself. Feel free to call or email/message if you have questions and safe shooting. Jackson www.GhostFirearmsTraining.com

Thanks for your recommendation!
I've gotten a decent amount of flack on another thread for posting something I thought was humorous. I think I'm going to go back to just reading and not commentimg anymore.

Thanks for your recommendation!
I've gotten a decent amount of flack on another thread for posting something I thought was humorous. I think I'm going to go back to just reading and not commentimg anymore.

Don't let 'em scare you away... we are an obnoxious, but mostly harmless crowd. GFT actually posted are really good question. Long range means different things to different people. Are you looking to further your reach while hunting? Looking to compete? Just want to get better at shooting at far away targets?

There's a terrific guy named Jeff Brozovich that's located in Montana. He's very good at teaching. He's one of the editors of Long Range Only and a major contributor to that sight and LongRangeHunting.com I'd get ahold of him since he's local. There are plenty of really good schools, some of which have already been mentioned; but why travel more than you have to....if you don't have to. LRO is doing a big push to try and get more women into LR and ELR shooting and hunting.

I'd PM you his number but I can't figure out how to use the PM system on my phone. If you join the LRO forum you'll see his posts everywhere and you can pm him. He's really good about getting back to people within a few hours.

Last edited:
Another vote for Mill Creek Shooting Resort. I'm a female as well and I took their long range course recently. Brent and Ladd are extremely relatable and down to earth. The course was excellent and the resort is beautiful.

Not to be wordy here but I was in your shoes at one point too and I would highly recommend the Mapgul long range precision rifle course. Caylen Wojcik is an extremely good teacher and the class is 4 days and packed with information. I've been meaning to write up a review on it from all my notes but just haven't got around to it yet. There are some great reviews already circulating about that class if you google it. All in all a really great class. He takes you through everything step by step and teaches you the "why" of each thing you learn. It's subtle but I've taken some instruction from others who just tell you what to do and don't tell you the "why" behind it...and I'm one of those people interested in the "why".

I would also recommend subscribing to the Rifles Only videos on Vimeo. They're not expensive and give you great info. I haven't taken a class through Rifles Only (because it's far from where I live) but I would love to. Their facility looks incredible and the instructor (and I think he's also the owner) explains things very well over video, so I can only imagine it's even better in a classroom setting.

A couple other tips would be to:
- watch videos that Bryan Litz posts on YouTube, he's a wealth of knowledge (he also has a lot of books he's written)
- find a precision rifle group in your area and contact them and see if they'll let you shoot with them...there's usually someone in the group who will help out and provide added input. if they're nice they'll let you shoot and they'll be happy to help out.
- read forums
- direct message people on this forum, that's how I heard about the Magpul course. I direct messaged someone who eventually gave me their phone number and we talked each others ears off about rifles. I ended up taking the Magpul class because of his recommendation.
- search YouTube and you'll find people who provide a lot of great info like ITS Tactical, Panhandle Precision, 8541 Tactical, 6.5 Guys...the list goes on.

Hopefully this helps.

Hey Creedmoor Girl, look up Melissa Gilliand, she's a great person/shooter and shes been doing all-women precision rifle courses all over the country, that might be a good route to try.

I'm not sure that she is still active here, since her last post was in April. We do have a way of running off females here on the Hide.

I hope that she found and took one of the great LR courses mentioned.

regina milkovitch and janae frehner are doing an all womans class sometime soon at dog valley in UT

ok.........................so.........................the salty among us have all directed you to some fine places....i should tell you that many instruction classes got a bent toward the police/LEO experience.

others got more of a military taste to them,,,,,,,mostly ALWAYS our military....savvy ?

then there are them places that are run by ......people from the opposite side of the planet, that are correctly aligned with our way off life....good solid christian fun-loving folks that go on a pisser every

once and a while and carry the fight to the unwashed in spades.

once you indulge.....get the full experience.....it will be never ending.....

go forth and prosper.