• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns A good starter 1911 for EIC matches

Christopher Rance

CR2 Shooting Solutions
Minuteman
I only have a budget of about 800-900 dollars for a 1911 that I would like to use for some local EIC matches. I also would like a platform that I can build upon as my skill set improves and be able to compete at a higher level. Any input is greatly appreciated.

SA Range Officer, Sig Tac Ops, Ruger SR1911, RIA. I would look hard at the Sig because it already has some of the desired features such as the front and backstrap, night sights, comes with a few extra mags ect. I like my Sig Scorpion better than most of my others, and I own 6 1911s.

Last edited:
You don't want night sights for an EIC match. You need the target (Bomar type) sights that come on the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Get one and you have a good platform to build upon as your skills increase. BTW they can be had for $700-$750 so spend the rest on ammo or reloading components.

Springfield Range Officer.

While it will serve as-is as an NRA pistol you must replace the Commander-style hammer with a spur-type, and long tab thumb safety and beavertail grip safety with GI-profile parts to meet EIC rules.

EIC pistol rules:

Rulebook_s.jpg

Samples:

ACF2461.JPG

gvtmatch1.JPG

gvtmatch2.JPG

Forgot about those rules... If you decide to go with a range officer and need those parts, I have the spur-type hammer, as well as the GI type thumb and grip safeties to meet EIC rules that you can have for the cost of a small priority mail box shipping to you. ($6). Let me know.

Good luck to you. That one-handed stuff is very tough, indeed.

This is a Range Officer modded for EIC (the target shows a score of 92):

4abc036f-4bf7-4c4b-b9e1-af90f14fdc03_zps2a78998e.jpg

Praise for the Range Officer
Post by SMBeyer on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Got outside Thursday and rebuilt the turning target system so we can start having 2700's again after about a 7 year lapse.

After working all day I had had enough and shot a few rounds outdoors for the first time since last October or maybe early November. Now I know that the target isn't exceptional but it does show the Range Officer is a very competent gun even with the factory Winchester ammo from Wal-Mart. The two eights out the left were both called there. The others were called good, and although not all tens I was pleased with the results.

I did a report on all what was done to this gun here on the list. Basically a bushing and trigger job along with the parts to make it EIC legal. I see a lot of guys here wanting an entry level .45 and I think they would be very pleased with the Range Officer.

Scott

Last edited:
Purchased a Springfield Range officer for 658 and some change. Also received the spare parts from LTDShooter and will be having them installed once it arrives. Thanks again to all who helped. Any other guidance is greatly appreciated.

Good deal brother. Enjoy those EIC matches. I wish there was more BE matches around me. I love shooting those.