A Lemon Story (Sabatti Rover Tactical)

leendertp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
The Mooooon
So, this is my first time in this situation and I don't really know what to do.

I have been very lucky I guess. Howas, tikkas, ruger; I have over the years had some really great inexpensive rifles that shot amazingly well.

2 years ago, my mom wanted to buy me a gun. She's a cool mom. It was admist shitty covid supply lines.

I gave some input but in the end she bought me a Sabatti Rover Tactical in 300WM.

We have a 500y range on the farm and 1000m like 5 mins drive away and theres endless open land just a bit further so I thought this would be a lot of fun. My goal was to set it up to shoot a mile.

The rifle shot terrible, whatever bullets, powders, ammo I tried, it didn't matter, it just shot terrible like 4MOA + terrible.

The stock it came was complete junk, so soft. So that was first to go. Custom McMillan A5, beddings, pillars, 3 gunsmiths, too many wasted components and even some broken rifling just inside the crown later, I think I've given up. I don't want to rebarrel it, it just feels like more waste at this point.

It was a gift for my mom so i wanted if to work, but I have spent much more than the $1000 she got the gun for on trying to get it to shoot.

It has a warranty, but that's effectively meaningless. I have done too much stuff to the gun so doubtless I'll be blamed and sending a gun to Italy and back, with export permits and such will take ages.

So after the long preamble, what do I do now? Feels wrong to sell it, and I don't think I'll get much for it. Or literally just drop it in the trash and move on. Leave it in the safe till it becomes my son's problem?

Bandit320

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2018
Missouri
Tough call since your Mom gave it to you. I’d probably work on it. I have a Remington 783 that just shot okay. Put a prefit on it and it’s a fantastic shooter now. Not sure if yours will take prefits or not.

viking78

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
www.youtube.com
Write or call to the US importer.
That aint cool to hear, that rifle that should be a precision quality, does not do the thing it should do.
Dont let your mom down.
(800) 450-1852
[email protected]

leendertp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
The Mooooon
Tough call since your Mom gave it to you. I’d probably work on it. I have a Remington 783 that just shot okay. Put a prefit on it and it’s a fantastic shooter now. Not sure if yours will take prefits or not.
It's pretty niche, so doing anything to it is difficult. But a new barrel is definitely possible

leendertp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
The Mooooon
Write or call to the US importer.
That aint cool to hear, that rifle that should be a precision quality, does not do the thing it should do.
Dont let your mom down.
(800) 450-1852
[email protected]
I will try that, I think. I have nothing to lose. I called the retailer it was bought from. He explained that it would be a nightmare/impossible because they work on the rifles in Italy. But the importer should know better.

Reactions: viking78

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
North Carolina
it's a risk, but having a quality gunsmith rebarrel it is probably the best way to go if you want to keep it

accuracy is the ammo + barrel, contact the better known smiths on this forum and ask them what they could do for you in this situation, they may wish to help you just to get the experience with this issue/make/model

you may have to ship the entire gun to them, but they can take a look at it and check it over BEFORE spinning up a custom barrel for it

if it's feeding and ejecting reliably 100%, it's probably what I would do

---

could also sell it with honest seller's statement of your experience, and put that $ toward some other rifle action

leendertp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
The Mooooon
it's a risk, but having a quality gunsmith rebarrel it is probably the best way to go if you want to keep it

accuracy is the ammo + barrel, contact the better known smiths on this forum and ask them what they could do for you in this situation, they may wish to help you just to get the experience with this issue/make/model

you may have to ship the entire gun to them, but they can take a look at it and check it over BEFORE spinning up a custom barrel for it

if it's feeding and ejecting reliably 100%, it's probably what I would do

---

could also sell it with honest seller's statement of your experience, and put that $ toward some other rifle action
I think my hesitancy about rebarreling it are in part atleast superstition and I don't really *want* to spend more money on it right now. I think what you suggesting is exactly the right way to do it if I do decide to bite the bullet.

Last edited:

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
North Carolina
Sounds like there is bad feelings with it.

If so, just let it go. Feel no guilt over doing so.l for your mom.

Be honest with buyers for a clear conscience though.

Resell and put that $ toward one you will use and love.

Even if less snotty (Tikka, Impact, Tl3, Origin, AI)

Not a bad juju paperweight that gives you stress.

show your mom the new one and tell her "Thank you!" again.

Take her to a nice dinner just the two of you and bring her flowers. That you will not regret.

leendertp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
The Mooooon
Sounds like there is bad feelings with it.

If so, just let it go. Feel no guilt over doing so.l for your mom.

Be honest with buyers for a clear conscience though.

Resell and put that $ toward one you will use and love.

Even if less snotty (Tikka, Impact, Tl3, Origin, AI)

Not a bad juju paperweight that gives you stress.

show your mom the new one and tell her "Thank you!" again.

Take her to a nice dinner just the two of you and bring her flowers. That you will not regret.
That's more or less where I am at. It can still be a gun from her.

I will call the importer on Monday, maybe I am surprised. Failing that I think I'll try sell it.

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I am sure a gunsmith could get it where you want it... you just have to keep sinking money into the problem, right? If you're cool with another chunk of change for a new barrel and, potentially, work on the action as well, a good smith WILL get it to shoot. The mom factor is what matters here. I sold my M70 for cheap because even after I got it shooting acceptably I wasn't happy with its performance... and just encountering a string of setbacks and issues I said "enough is enough."

leendertp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
The Mooooon
I am sure a gunsmith could get it where you want it... you just have to keep sinking money into the problem, right? If you're cool with another chunk of change for a new barrel and, potentially, work on the action as well, a good smith WILL get it to shoot.
Guess 3 gunsmiths later, I'm a bit over that. The last of the three is supposedly quite good.

It's sort of a how long is a piece of string problem. If I knew it was on more gunsmith trip, $500 or whatever then I could meaningfully choose that. As is it's just another gamble..

Reactions: DJL2

viking78

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
www.youtube.com
I will try that, I think. I have nothing to lose. I called the retailer it was bought from. He explained that it would be a nightmare/impossible because they work on the rifles in Italy. But the importer should know better.
But they should have a company in US that does take care of the warranty issues.
No way they can assume, that they will just sell them stuff in US and give a shit of the warranty and problems, because there is no
gun manufacturer that could do only a perfect guns that never fails.
You need to tell this retailer, that you want your money back if they dont give a fuck for the problem you have with this italian rifle.

Vodoun daVinci

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2017
    I started with a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM and it shot sub MOA right out of the box. I paid less than $400 for the rifle after rebate. Rifle has never missed a lick and shoots consistent .5 MOA groups with handloads but now with MDT chassis and muzzle brakes and vertical grips and all that. If I'd have purchased what you purchased and spent this much time fucking around I'd have come unglued by now and be seeking my money back.

The OP has much more class and restraint than I do. Kudos.

VooDoo

Reactions: leendertp

Wiillk

Command Spec 4
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    May 18, 2020
    North Louisiana
    Many decades ago, I purchased a well known, Very Well Respected handgun for use in IHMSA. Purchased it used. Did not know.

Initial trials showed it was everything promised. Not long after it went south, in a hurry. Nothing could be done to get it on target. Typically it would be shooting a foot to the left at 50 meters. No issue, set the scope (or iron sights which I also used on it.) to shoot to the right. Result, it shot more to the left. set the scope to shoot to the left, it might shoot right or shoot right. Come to find out this brand of firearm had an issue with the frame. Once worn, it cannot be repaired other than purchasing a new firearm. Like you, I spent a small fortune trying to get it right.

One afternoon at the range, while trying to come to terms with this particular firearm, shooting from a stable position, I missed the 50 meter chicken ten times in a row. Picked up my Ruger Super Blackhawk, stood on my hind legs like a man, fired three rounds and hit it twice. Our son who was shooting with me that day looked over and said, "Dad Don't Spend Any More Money on that Gun."

My advice, your mom gave it to you, don't sell it or give it away. Put it in the back of the safe and right before she drops by for a visit, move it to the front. If it can't shoot, spend your money on something that can. And, I would send a letter to the manufacturer and CC the importer, extensively listing all the issues you experienced with their rifle, and all the efforts you have done to try to correct these. Be nice, don't burn bridges, but they need to know what they sold you and your mother.

leendertp

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 4, 2021
    The Mooooon
    I started with a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM and it shot sub MOA right out of the box. I paid less than $400 for the rifle after rebate. Rifle has never missed a lick and shoots consistent .5 MOA groups with handloads but now with MDT chassis and muzzle brakes and vertical grips and all that. If I'd have purchased what you purchased and spent this much time fucking around I'd have come unglued by now and be seeking my money back.

The OP has much more class and restraint than I do. Kudos.

VooDoo
    It's come pretty close, I assure you.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci

leendertp

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 4, 2021
    The Mooooon
    If you look at that picture you can see the bright spot. That is some broken rifling just inside the crown. There is another spot too. The last gunsmith found that, chopped it off and rethreaded the barrel.

Attachments

• 20220828_074435.jpg
      20220828_074435.jpg
      270.3 KB · Views: 62
    Reactions: BugIn762

leendertp

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 4, 2021
    The Mooooon
    I called and spoke to them. Nice guy, who sounds like he wants to help me.

They need to me to write down everything that has happened, etc etc and then they will send that off to Italy for approval and then either rebarrel or replace the rifle. Or obviously tell me there is no more warranty because some of the barrel was removed or whatever squirmy grounds they can find. We shall see.

Reactions: Keith E.

Wiillk

Command Spec 4
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    May 18, 2020
    North Louisiana
    I called and spoke to them. Nice guy, who sounds like he wants to help me.

They need to me to write down everything that has happened, etc etc and then they will send that off to Italy for approval and then either rebarrel or replace the rifle. Or obviously tell me there is no more warranty because some of the barrel was removed or whatever squirmy grounds they can find. We shall see.
    Mine went back to the factory. A total waste of time, effort and money. still shot like (insert the exceptionally negative four letter cuss word of your choice)

Reactions: leendertp

moosemeat

30Hate club founding member
    Minuteman
    Jun 21, 2009
    Barren plains of Kansas
    If it's rebarreled by a decent Smith it WILL shoot. Changing stocks isn't going to make a 4 moa gun a .5 moa gun. Changing barrels can.
    If money is not a concern I would rebarrel if. Send it to LRI or GAP. Get a sub .5 moa gun back. Be happy. Have something from your mom that you will love and enjoy.

Last edited:

Andrew863

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Apr 21, 2018
    Russellville KY
    Keep us updated. I'm always interested in how companies treat there customers. For what i would do is see about the warranty first and then re barrel if that don't work and new barrel for sure will.

DJL2

Tiger 33A
    Minuteman
    Oct 16, 2013
    OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
    Guess 3 gunsmiths later, I'm a bit over that. The last of the three is supposedly quite good.

It's sort of a how long is a piece of string problem. If I knew it was on more gunsmith trip, $500 or whatever then I could meaningfully choose that. As is it's just another gamble..
    I get it, truly. I've had a least a couple rifles that I decided I was done with rather than keep on as projects. I vastly prefer turn key solutions at this point... and not every smith can deliver that, regardless of price or reputation.

leendertp

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 4, 2021
    The Mooooon
    So what did the 3 gunsmith do? It says it's threaded and in a stock.
    The first threaded it and said it looked fine to him.

The second just bedded it, because I'm lazy. Also said everything else looked fine to him. To be fair, I probably don't need to count this one. At this point I was sure it was going to be fixed.

The third got it as a problem. He found the spots of broken rifling. Apparently spent a lot of time with a borescope. Chopped off the barrel, re crowned and threaded.

The agent is now arranging a courier to collect the gun to take it their gunsmith, write report for Sabatti.

leendertp

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 4, 2021
    The Mooooon
    I get it, truly. I've had a least a couple rifles that I decided I was done with rather than keep on as projects. I vastly prefer turn key solutions at this point... and not every smith can deliver that, regardless of price or reputation.
    I enjoy a project, I guess all rifles are. This particular rifle was supposed to be less of a project and more turn key. With that expectation I guess there has been.more disappointment.