• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little help identifying a rifle.

txstars

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
Grapevine, Texas, U.S.A.
Hey Guys, Any chance this rifle was built by someone here on the hide? Who is the manufacturer of the barrel?

DSC00850.jpg

Re: A little help identifying a rifle.

The camo pattern on the stock looks like GA Precision ("GAP") and the surefire muzzle brake/suppressor adapter is an option they offer. Is it a Remington action or a custom? Do you have the serial number?

I would get the serial number and any other markings and email George Gardner at GAP - if they made it, they will have a record. It will also be worth whatever is being asked.

No telling who built that rifle. It looks like a pretty popular combination of parts. Did you ask the seller who built the rifle and what parts that were used?

To me it looks like a Reminton 700, in a McMillan A5 stock (GAP camo), Badger M5 bottom metal, about a 20-22" barrel, Surfire Brake, Badger rings and NF scope.

I believe the stock is a McMillon A2. I do know: Remington 700, Jewel, NF 3.5x15x50. I am lacking knowledge on barrel & bolt.

I am a very long way from being an expert on custom builds or anything else as far as that goes. Hence the reason I dare not post here on the hide often. As my father always said "better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TX-Stars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the stock is a McMillon A2. I do know: Remington 700, Jewel, NF 3.5x15x50. I am lacking knowledge on barrel & bolt.

I am a very long way from being an expert on custom builds or anything else as far as that goes. Hence the reason I dare not post here on the hide often. As my father always said "better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" </div></div>

I am 100% certain that is not a A2. It's a A5. Did you ask the seller about who built the rifle and what parts they used?

If the seller doesnt know anything about the rifle, who does??? Where did seller come up with it? I shoot bench rest and have bought several second hand rifles and my general rule of thumb is if the seller can't identify barrel, gunsmith, or round count and prove it, I buy the rifle as if it has no barrel... That way you cover your rear if it is no good, if it is good, bonus. Just my .02. It does look like a nice rifle and definately a Mc A5. Good parts. Also have the seller take photos of any markings on the barrel and action, and also have him remove the bolt and take a photo of the locking lugs and bolt face, that way you can tell if it has been trued. Good luck and good shootin

Ok, so you wanna know if its worth the asking price, I am surprised no one has asked how much does the seller want for it? Depending on how much he wants, he might have to come up with a lot more info on the rifle.

Stock McMillan A-5: $600.
Action: $350.
Badger Rings Bases: $300
M5 DBM: $300.
NF 3.5-15x50mm: $1400.
Jewel Trigger: $200.

Prices are what you could get, ballpark, if you bought the rifle and parted it out.

Add that up and your at $3150. I added $0 for the barrel and surefire brake. If the scope is a NF F1, add another $400.

$3K does not sound bad when you add up the parts you've got there.

close up pictures of markings on both the right and left sides of the Action and Barrel will tell us a lot.

When I see a rifle like that, with the front scope ring placed on the rear and the rear scope ring on the front, I immediately think STOLEN!

I could be totally wrong, but absolute ignorance does not put together very good rifles. How did the buyer just fall into this great system?

If the $3000 includes the scope and rings as well as the rifle, I'd say its a hell of a deal. Without the scope and rings I would walk away and build your own later.

The owner is a friend that know less about rifles than I do. I feel comfortable saying it is not stolen. He is not the type to be involved in anything like that. I have the rifle at the moment and will look for additional markings when I get home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TX-Stars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The owner is a friend that know less about rifles than I do. I feel comfortable saying it is not stolen. He is not the type to be involved in anything like that. I have the rifle at the moment and will look for additional markings when I get home. </div></div>

if that's true...where'd HE get it? You don't just walk into a gun shop, drop $3k+++ on this kind of rifle built....and not know a thing about it.

Something is fishy. Buying a custom stick is a very costly investment. Most if not all, when the throw down 3k+ on a rifle, even if they are begineers can tell you whats involved in their build, from barrel manufacture to stock color.

Whats interesting is saying that the seller doesnt know alot about rifles and such how someone could identify a Jewell trigger yet not know who built it??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something is fishy. Buying a custom stick is a very costly investment. Most if not all, when the throw down 3k+ on a rifle, even if they are begineers can tell you whats involved in their build, from barrel manufacture to stock color.

Whats interesting is saying that the seller doesnt know alot about rifles and such how someone could identify a Jewell trigger yet not know who built it?? </div></div>

I'm not completely ignorant on custom builds. The parts I have identified comes from MY limited knowledge of rifles & rifle parts. So what makes that so interesting?

If I thought there was even the slightest chance this rifle was hot I would not consider touching it much less posting a picture on the internet. I will provide any and all markings / s/n's I can find if it will satisfy those of you with suspicious minds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">need a picture of the bottom of the barrel just forward of the recoil lug </div></div>
DSC00858.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">close up pictures of markings on both the right and left sides of the Action and Barrel will tell us a lot.

When I see a rifle like that, with the front scope ring placed on the rear and the rear scope ring on the front, I immediately think STOLEN!

I could be totally wrong, but absolute ignorance does not put together very good rifles. How did the buyer just fall into this great system?

If the $3000 includes the scope and rings as well as the rifle, I'd say its a hell of a deal. Without the scope and rings I would walk away and build your own later. </div></div>
DSC00852.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bandit10-4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the seller doesnt know anything about the rifle, who does??? Where did seller come up with it? I shoot bench rest and have bought several second hand rifles and my general rule of thumb is if the seller can't identify barrel, gunsmith, or round count and prove it, I buy the rifle as if it has no barrel... That way you cover your rear if it is no good, if it is good, bonus. Just my .02. It does look like a nice rifle and definately a Mc A5. Good parts. Also have the seller take photos of any markings on the barrel and action, and also have him remove the bolt and take a photo of the locking lugs and bolt face, that way you can tell if it has been trued. Good luck and good shootin </div></div>
DSC00854.jpg

Infront of the recoil lug meaning towards the muzzle. There is usually a mark from the smith underneath.

Also there should be builders marks on the barrel and the caliber as well like this:
P1010014-1.jpg

P1010059.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Infront of the recoil lug meaning towards the muzzle. There is usually a mark from the smith underneath.

Also there should be builders marks on the barrel and the caliber as well like this:
P1010014-1.jpg

P1010059.jpg
</div></div>

There are no markings on the barrel. I have gone over it under a bright light a number of times.

Well, the barrel not having any markings on it is not unheard of, but not helpful to you. I can tell you by looking at the bolt face, that the action has definately not been trued up or "blueprinted" and as stated above, the brake being into the flutes is concerning also. I would like to see a picture of the muzzle end up close where the brake and barrel meet... So as stated before, buy the rifle as if it has no barrel, and you will be fine. Sounds like the rifle would be a good deal if it is complete for 3k. Do we know what caliber it is??? 308 maybe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bandit10-4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, the barrel not having any markings on it is not unheard of, but not helpful to you. I can tell you by looking at the bolt face, that the action has definately not been trued up or "blueprinted" and as stated above, the brake being into the flutes is concerning also. I would like to see a picture of the muzzle end up close where the brake and barrel meet... So as stated before, buy the rifle as if it has no barrel, and you will be fine. Sounds like the rifle would be a good deal if it is complete for 3k. Do we know what caliber it is??? 308 maybe? </div></div>

Yes, it is a 308. I have ran a few rounds down the pipe. Shot my personal best 5 round group with it. I will get you more pics after I get home today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bandit10-4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, the barrel not having any markings on it is not unheard of, but not helpful to you. I can tell you by looking at the bolt face, that the action has definately not been trued up or "blueprinted" and as stated above, the brake being into the flutes is concerning also. I would like to see a picture of the muzzle end up close where the brake and barrel meet... So as stated before, buy the rifle as if it has no barrel, and you will be fine. Sounds like the rifle would be a good deal if it is complete for 3k. Do we know what caliber it is??? 308 maybe? </div></div>

Will this pic work?

DSC00861.jpg

Ok, thats what I thought it looked like. The only reason I can think that anyone would do this is if the barrel was toast and they cut an inch off each end to get some accuracy back... Bottom line is, you said it shot super and you shot your best group with it, so, Id say buy the rifle and choot the chit out of it! If it aint broke, dont fix it. Dont guess the flutes into the brake will hurt anything, just looks awkward. Good luck and good shootin!

? who cares, it shoots great keep it. ..... Not like it's the hobbled together pieces of mismatched shit you find at gunshows for stupid crackhead costs.