• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A little help with hunting optics

MisterGrubbs

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2010
Newnan, GA
Picked up a Vanguard s2 in .308 for a steal yesterday. It has a pro staff 3-9x50 with BDC on it I am not fond of it.

I am looking for some hunting optics in the sub 250 dollar range. I am looking for a thinner reticle in the 4-16 range for magnification.

I have been taking a look at the Redfield Revenge but would like some input from some of y'all. I don't intend to take a shot over 300 yards realistically but like the slightly higher magnification personally.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Once I decide on something the Nikon will find a new home.

Ryan

I will look into them. If there is a reasonable scope with tactical turrets I would touch the 350 range...although I count that is going to happen.

I have also been looking at the lower lineups of Vortex

Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope DEMO-B

If you're willing to step down a hair in magnification, the Weaver Grand slam 3-10x is a best buy from Midwayusa. It has matching turrets/reticle. Also, the Leupold mark AR 3-9x is nice and light and has several reticles. There are a few other sub $400 tactical scopes around, but they are way too heavy for a hunting rig, IMO. Also, even cheaper yet it the new redfield Battlezone 3-9x for $199, not many reviews for it yet tho, but seems nice on paper.

Red fields seem to be leaps and bounds beyond what they were.

I am very fond of Bushnell optics. If that will track accurately it could do some double duty for me.

Did a little reading. On the Bushnell .... doesn't appear its up for tracking accurately.

Bummer, that perticular model was a one time run from Midwayusa I believe. Usually any Bushnell elite is good to go for tracking, but I haven't read up on that one, just noticed it on samplelist. An awesome scope for what you are wanting isn't available right now, seasonal run. Vortex Viper 5-15 mil/mil for 399 on sale, reg $499. It rocks even at $499, I missed the boat when they were around last month. I bet we'll see em this summer again.

Bushnell is a good choice for your budget. If you want a reasonable hunting scope, try Leupold Vx 1 and vx 2 or even zeiss demos. 3-9x will be good enough for hunting within 300 yrds and you don't need high power. For your 250-350 price range, I will try a 6x or 10x fixed, because I don't trust variable power scopes with high X and tacticool features can survive in hunting situation.

Bushnell is a good choice for your budget. If you want a reasonable hunting scope, try Leupold Vx 1 and vx 2 or even zeiss demos. 3-9x will be good enough for hunting within 300 yrds and you don't need high power. For your 250-350 price range, I will try a 6x or 10x fixed, because I don't trust variable power scopes with high X and tacticool features can survive in hunting situation.

I have been fond of Bushnell Elite series for years but that 5-15 has a reputation for bad repeatability.

For hunting the Nikon 3-9 is fine, what does the BDC matter? If you just have to have another scope in that price range just get a fixed power like a 10X and you will probably get better optics.
You also state "tactical turrets" later...for what? Looks? If you are using the scope for hunting they're not needed and neither is a 14X for your stated 300-350 yards.

Not sure it's what you're looking for, but Super Sniper 10x's seem to run around $250 used. Those pop off pretty often in the classifieds here.

The adjustable turrets were just an idea in case I wanted to reach out and touch 500 yards at some point. If its a decent enough shooter I wouldn't mind doing some lower end shooting matches to learn more. That is more or less why I was curious about the tactical turrets.

Ryan

Last edited:
For your list, I'd probably switch out the Revenge series for the Revolution series, they are made in USA. The revenge in the Phillipines, tho there are some nice scopes coming from there. I'd put the Weaver classic V ahead of them both though, with Japanese glass:SWFA Riflescopes Weaver Rifle Scopes Weaver Classic V Rifle Scopes
In that league of hunting scopes I think the Vortex Diamondback fits, and the viper for a little more. Their customer service is pretty much second to none. For an exposed turret hunting scope with low profile turrets I think the Leupold mark Ar 4-12 would be great, but a little over your budget, the mod1 has adjustments in milrads : Leupold 4-12x40 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope

Also, since your rifle is in 308, the Leupy comes with an elevation yardage dial calibrated to 168grn loads, for quick and dirty dialing.

Last edited:
Leupold Vx1 3 - 9. Will do everything you want and its made in Oregon. Spend a bit more & mount up my personal favorite hunting scope the VxIII 2.5 - 8.