• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Message from Jim @ Prime Ammo

Reactions: Langford
Website shows three different option in .223 right now.

Nice, looks like it’s scheduled to start shipping on 9/20. I’ll place an order shortly.

Just saw the sale email today. I thought rifle ammo was going to be Peterson Brass, but looks like Fiocchi for the 308 at least? Is that correct, or was the email worded goofy?

If you look at their website, and read the details...the .308 uses Fiocchi brass.

but if you read the details on the 6.5 cm, it doesn't give the same info, like it doesn't say what brass or projectile. i wonder why they are so clear about the 223 ammo but not the 6.5cm ammo.

but if you read the details on the 6.5 cm, it doesn't give the same info, like it doesn't say what brass or projectile. i wonder why they are so clear about the 223 ammo but not the 6.5cm ammo.
The 6.5 is Peterson Brass. There are real pictures of it in the wild. No question or mystery about it.

Congratulations to Jim and his crew for weathering the storm and coming out on the other side!

If you look at their website, and read the details...the .308 uses Fiocchi brass.
but it also says Petersen is a supplier. Hence the confusion. Now, maybe Petersen is doing the loading, but why would they load something that they had no components in especailly when it reads like Spark is doing the loading? Or maybe im just reading too much into the copy and they used the generic copy even though it doesnt 100% apply to the 308 ammo. Guess it really doesnt matter, i dont even shoot 308. Just trying to learn what this new breed of Prime is.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
The 6.5 is Peterson Brass. There are real pictures of it in the wild. No question or mystery about it.

so what is the final word on the projectile?

i suppose there might be pictures of it in the wild but my point is that prime very clearly describes their 223 ammo in the 223 details but doesn't in the 6.5 cm details,,,,, that is what the mystery is, why not put the same details out there. i've bought quite a bit of prime ammo, still have a bunch but why do people who want to know what their ammo is comprised of have to hunt down the details of the 6.5 on a forum or out in the wild,,,,,be a lot easier for customers to just read it on their website, like the 223 and even 308.

Reactions: lash
I wonder if it is because the partner they have for the projectile doesn't yet have a commercially available 130g bullet, but is creating it for the 6.5CM offering with Prime.

I haven’t bought any ammunition for myself in years but I thought I’d try some of the new 6.5CM prime and support a company that supports SH.

Here are my unscientific findings:

5FD4AB75-774F-46CC-A00A-EA72D2488DB5.jpeg

Peterson brass, white metal colored primer. Shipped directly from Pennsylvania, where Peterson Cartridge company is located.

2.788 COAL
2.182 CBTO

5FB452A8-5E07-48F5-898F-1E0D3FA363DF.jpeg

Appears to have 41.2gr of Propellant (additional .02 is from me, moving too fast in front of scale)

D128C7FF-AC33-48B1-8549-8CA501FC20A3.jpeg

Propellant appears to be H4350. I say it appears to be.....

2C0E3603-DF43-4BC3-8214-5AC3E5EE318F.jpeg

Left: 6.5mm Berger 130gr AR Hybrid OTM. Center: 6.5CM prime projectile. Right: 6.5mm 130gr Norma Golden Target

Performance: 27.0MOA to 1000 yards DA was 1800 (26” 8 twist Rock barreled M700) At one point I fired 20 rounds as fast as I could work the bolt at my 15x25 IPSA plate; had 17 hits. @Defender3 was spotting for me.

Ring on center projectile is from comparator.

I haven’t bought any ammunition for myself in years but I thought I’d try some of the new 6.5CM prime and support a company that supports SH.

Here are my unscientific findings:

View attachment 7141353

Peterson brass, white metal colored primer. Shipped directly from Pennsylvania, where Peterson Cartridge company is located.

2.788 COAL
2.182 CBTO

View attachment 7141351

Appears to have 41.2gr of Propellant (additional .02 is from me, moving too fast in front of scale)

View attachment 7141352

Propellant appears to be H4350. I say it appears to be.....

View attachment 7141350

Left: 6.5mm Berger 130gr AR Hybrid OTM. Center: 6.5CM prime projectile. Right: 6.5mm 130gr Norma Golden Target

Performance: 27.0MOA to 1000 yards DA was 1800 (26” 8 twist Rock barreled M700) At one point I fired 20 rounds as fast as I could work the bolt at my 15x25 IPSA plate; had 17 hits. @Defender3 was spotting for me.

Ring on center projectile is from comparator.

good info, thanks! just from the picture, i would have to say they are not using the berger, wouldn't you?

i mean, to me it's no big deal what projectile it is, just wanna know cause it is easier to put into a ballistics program

Reactions: Pusher591
ok, got some info

the projectile is a new bullet which is a 130 gr sierra match king, unpointed and is almost ballistically the same as the old norma bullet.

the best ballistic choice in the kestrel is to use the old norma gold target ( the same as the old prime ammo) and it should be about right on.

the new bullet will be sent off to AB and will be added to library in the future.

and as we all know by now,,, peterson brass for the 6.5, 6mm, 338, 260 etc but fiocchi for 223 and 308.

i think prime might update their site as well with this info.

Maybe Prime has added the pointing process to there ammunition specs and are doing it prior to or during cartridge assembly.

The projectile sure does look like a boat tail SMK style profile, so that’s not surprising to me.

You said unpointed, but the pictures all look like they have been pointed.
i was relaying info i was told by jim which is that the bullets are not specifically pointed to increase bc for target/match type stuff
and i am sure that prime does not do any pointing, the way it was explained to me is that the bullets stay the way they come from sierra.
he said the "point" (ha ha) of the new bullet was to be close to the old norma so that folks would have little to no change in their dope from the old ammo. (that was one of the goals of the new bullet anyway)
jim told me it was ok to quietly post this info and that he was more than likely going to put it in the detail section of the 6.5 ammo.

i will say that i ordered some smk's in 6mm 107gr a while back and they look pointed to me but i didn't order pointed nor did i know they came like that, but they sure looked a lot more pointed than some 150gr 6.5 smk's i had been shooting ( in another gun obviously)

Reactions: lash and seansmd
You said unpointed, but the pictures all look like they have been pointed.

Even in the picture of the projectiles above? Looks unpointed to me. The only pointed bullets I have had are jlk’s so my sample size is small.

Even in the picture of the projectiles above? Looks unpointed to me. The only pointed bullets I have had are jlk’s so my sample size is small.
that is the same with me, i ordered some jlk's pointed and they are darn pointy. i also don't think the picture above shows the new prime bullet to be that pointed.

The pictured point looks exactly like the 183smk 7mms I just bought and loaded. If I ordered "pointed" and they arrived as such, I'd want some money back. It's definitely a different profile on the tip, but far from a pointed bullet.

Happy user of old "euro" Prime ammo here - both the product and service were always top notch. Very interested in trying out the new US-made 6.5 CM at the earliest opportunity.

That being said, I live behind the Iron Curtain in California. As of July 1st out-of-state online ammo purchases are only possible to California consumers with FFL 03 and CA Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) paperwork. Any plans to support this avenue?

Best,
Vipunen

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
That being said, I live behind the Iron Curtain in California. As of July 1st out-of-state online ammo purchases are only possible to California consumers with FFL 03 and CA Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) paperwork. Any plans to support this avenue?

Best,
Vipunen
Yes. See his other answers to this question below:
Yup...if you are in CA we cannot send directly to you...write into [email protected] and we'll find the nearest CA dealer to you...
Too kind...thank you very much - if you issues with CA please contact me via our support email: [email protected]
My ffl in San Jose says he is GTG with the process, I will test it out in July with other ammo and let jim@prime know.
We are working on a CA idea - its pretty bold...would love your input on it...please send me your number via an email to [email protected] and I'll call you to pick your brain.

Confirmed already ordered and received in CA, email them your ffl information and you are gtg.

Thank you, Sean. This is what I was hoping to hear. Just chatted with Jim while forwarding the license paperwork. Should have the CA deliveries available soon.

Going to be working on my 800yd and beyond groups soon... :) Also getting some of the new 9mm when that ships. Very excited!

Cheers,
Vipunen

Ok guys just went to the range with DTA223 and some new prime 77SMK. Well they did it again. Out of the park.

I will be getting more as my money allows.

Thanks Jim good job and glad you are back.

Attachments

• 412E23FF-0E09-4896-92AE-C825E26568E4.jpeg
    412E23FF-0E09-4896-92AE-C825E26568E4.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: ccasanova