• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Question

hot creek

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
For target shooting out to 500 yards is a 6.5 better than a 308? For deer hunting out to 500 yards is a 6.5 better than a 308? thanks for any info you care to share with me.

I would rather shoot a 6.5, regardless of distance. Energy aside(which is nearly identical at 500 yds), the Creedmoor smokes the .308 in drop and drift with common bullets for each. Killing a deer is a pretty low bar, which is easily accomplished by a creedmoor, .260, or similar. If you have a .308, run it, if you’re shopping, the 6.5 is the obvious choice imo.

For target shooting 6.5 is way better than a 308 at 500. Wind drift is pretty similar at that distance. Drop is irrelevant. The big difference is recoil. Recoil and muzzle blast are 2 of the biggest contributors of shooter fatigue. IMO, The lower you can get them the longer and more enjoyable your range trips will be.

For hunting I don't see enough difference to pick one over the other. Velocity and energy are too close to matter, bullet choice will matter more. Both have lots of bullet options if you reload. If you don't reload 308 gains a slight edge with more factory options tailored towards different game.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hell of a first post. I'll bite. There are a million criteria to consider, but if you are seriously limiting the comparison to a maximum range of 500 yards, the differences are negligible (assuming by 6.5 you are referring to a 260/Creedmoor and not something like a SAUM). Any two load combinations you pick will be within half a mil of each other at 500 yards, and energy is almost identical. Potential for accuracy/precision is the same. Both have readily available factory ammo and reloading components. Recoil is technically "more" with the 308, but both rounds are pussycats in a target rifle.

If you extend the maximum range to 800 or 1000 yards, 6.5 wins hands down.

the real answer......at 500yds.....you are not going to notice a single difference......none.

if youre looking to do hunting, i would choose .308, simply because .308 is more easily available and in more loadings.......

but performance wise, theyll preform the same.

6.5 has SLIGHTLY better external ballistics.......but honestly you are really not going to see those effects at the ranges you are shooting at.

Take a step back and ask yourself a few questions. As one member previously mentioned. The white tail deer is a pretty low bar to measure against (true statement). Change the scenario to half the distance to say, 250 yards & dealing with a 250 pound boar hog. You do your part it makes no difference 308 or 6.5cm. A one inch group at 250yards,,, it's a done deal. DRT. To me hunting is not about how far away can I do it. It's the challenge of how close can I get. That's where the real thinking mans game comes in. The wind is not only challenge for long range shooters. It will make or brake you at a 100.

Even at 100. the wind will have some effect, not very much but something you should be able to measure. I have chosen a 6.5 as my primary caliber. My target rifles weigh in excess of 13 lbs and I could be shooting 308 at that weight and not really notice very much difference. My two other rifles for shooting within that distance range are an SR15 in 5,56 or an old Mauser custom in 243 that weighs right at 10 lbs. Now for hunting when you are lugging the rifle around all day, even the 10 lb rifle will be a burden on a long day of hiking and shooting, not to mention you have to carry it back along with most of a dead deer. At the 6 odd pounds of a typical hunting rifle the recoil difference will be profound unless you add a brake to the 308 in which case, nobody will hunt with you. My old LWRC REPR with a tank style brake once knocked the hat off a range officer walking 6 feet behind me. 18" bbl and that tank style brake shooting 168g Federal Match.

Even at 100. the wind will have some effect, not very much but something you should be able to measure. I have chosen a 6.5 as my primary caliber. My target rifles weigh in excess of 13 lbs and I could be shooting 308 at that weight and not really notice very much difference. My two other rifles for shooting within that distance range are an SR15 in 5,56 or an old Mauser custom in 243 that weighs right at 10 lbs. Now for hunting when you are lugging the rifle around all day, even the 10 lb rifle will be a burden on a long day of hiking and shooting, not to mention you have to carry it back along with most of a dead deer. At the 6 odd pounds of a typical hunting rifle the recoil difference will be profound unless you add a brake to the 308 in which case, nobody will hunt with you. My old LWRC REPR with a tank style brake once knocked the hat off a range officer walking 6 feet behind me. 18" bbl and that tank style brake shooting 168g Federal Match.

yeah.....im gonna call bullshit on that right there.......

also, if you have trouble managing the "recoil" from a 6lb .308, go to your doctor and ask him to write you a prescription for 2 testicles.

As others said, at 500 yards, the differences are negligible. 308 recoil is slightly heavier than 6.5, but not by much. 308 will offer heavier bullets which can be nice for hunting if you want to take bigger game. But there aren't a lot of things in North America that a 6.5mm 143 ELD-X can't handle with good shot placement.

If you already have a 308, run it. If you're shopping, I'd get whichever had the better price. If they're the same price, I'd get the 6.5. JMHO