• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns A real combat knife

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Not long after arriving in Vietnam I lost my pocket knife. I bought one of these at a PX and carried it until I left country and they took it because is said "US". (Cant take government property home from a war zone}.

I sharpened it, and kept a razer sharp edge. It was great for slicing C-Rat white bread and toasting it. I kept in on a piece of 550 cord openned. It was great for cutting your self out of a wait-a-minute vines. (big knives were always in the way). Almost as fast openning c-rat cans as a P-38. Great in assisting in field stripping a M-60.

It's also none sparking for EOD work.

I just about used it for everything. Sure I had my M7 bayonet for digging holes. But other then that I don't think you could find a better knife. Sucker wont rust either.

Every since I got home I've been wanting one but the prices have ski rocketed. I've seen them for as much as $150 on e-bay.

Finely found one in a thrift store, excellent shape for $18.

It's going with my collection of bayonets and my paratrooper switch blade.

US_camp_knife.jpg

Re: A real combat knife

I found one of those with brown grips in a training area on fort Benning when I was a kid, still have it in a box somewhere.

That's a cool little knife, I'd never seen one before.
Thanks for serving.

I found one of those in my grandfather's toolbox. He wasn't in Vietnam, but got it from somewhere. Those knives do sharpen up nice.

Good thing they marked the can opener blade. I hate to think of you doggies losing your P38 and starving because you couldn't open your C-rats.
smirk.gif

A good knife like that (or multi tool) is like having a third hand sometimes.

This one was my grandfathers. It was his "lucky" fishing knife.

He loved to fish and his knife goes with me on all my fishing excursions.

Marked 1959

IMG_1872.jpg

I was given one as a kid from a neighbor and used it for years as a Boy Scout, during hunting and camping trips, and when I first came into the Marine Corps. I ended up giving it to a PFC in my squad when I was a squad leader.

Another military surplus pocket knife that I used a lot in years past (and still have) is the green handled German Bundeswehr pocket knife that I bought in a surplus store when I was in junior high. I think I paid $6 or $7 for it. It's never been my primary knife but it always seems to get thrown into the pack for every field exercise, deployment, or backpacking or hunting trip.