• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Sad Time For A Shooter and Advice On Firearm Sales

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    I'm 62 and as many of you know, I'm not in the best of health. I doubt I will be able to shoot like I have in the past, so I'm wondering what would you do with the firearms I own. Now don't get me wrong, my shooting ability is not on par with some here, so my equipment isn't as well. But I wonder if selling to a shooter who could use the equipment now isn't the best option. I have kids, but they really do have firearms that are equal to the quality of mine, so they don't have a need for dear old dad's rifles.

What say you?

Do a month to month supporter membership so you can list what you want to sell.

Reactions: camocorvette
    I recently ran into this. I got some tables with a friend at a local gun show. Enjoyed hanging out, talking to some folks and made some money.

Sold 90% of what I put out and sold the remaining ones through armslist.

they may have rifles equal to quality, but they do not have any firearm equal to the memories you can pass along to them shooting your rifles with you…. Some things, you just can’t put a value on!!!

It’s not the quantity of time, it’s the quality… personally for me, I’d keep my guns and then WILL them to my kids and grandkids upon my passing. In the mean time, I’d try to figure out which one each are interested in and then spend the time I could with them shooting that individual gun building memories so that way upon my passing, every time they took that gun out to shoot, they would remember the times we spent shooting them. Unless you need the money, then, fuck dem kids.

Ask your kids first. I say that as a son. Old people get greedy over money when they get old. My grandfather sold off most firearms of worth before he died. My dad is starting to do it. Pisses me off. Not that I can’t afford to buy new or better shit it has to do with where it comes from. They may want a memorable firearm. Or leave some to a grand kid. If they are good then sell but check with them first.

My sons will not have that problem. I’ll get off my soapbox

Reactions: Flintdog2011
    Ask your kids.

My Dad gave all us kids a gun from the collection that we had a connection to for highschool graduation. Sentimental value over $.

He also has given a few guns away to us kids as he decided he hadn't used or needed it, and we were at a point that we could or would use it.

He has since bought all his grandkids 6.5 Creed Tikkas just because, other than my 1 son he gave the 6.5x55 Tikka I found and bought for him 15 years ago.
    This started the connection and sentimental value in their guns because they were not only a gift, but a road to teaching "big gun" shooting and reloading.

His will simply states that all the guns go to us. We pile them up and pick 1 by 1 taking turns until they're gone. He has some really cool stuff that I would have no use for, and my sister would appreciate as wall art. While he has some normal stuff like defiance actions with prefits in bravos that I would actually use and continue shooting, with any of my sisters just tossing it in a safe to sit.

My will will split all the guns and cans between my 2 boys, whether they keep them or not I'll be too dead to know or care.

I don’t have much family. I have most of the guns from a grandpa that died 30 years before I was born. They are worth more than you think…

donations to any local gun clubs that have kids learning how to shoot that might not be able to afford a really nice gun could be a nice gesture .
    the option to pass them on to a person you never have met who loves guns and has plenty of wall space for them like ... me also a really nice gesture . you could sell them but you know that the gun store is about the only on going to get a deal on them ( had one store owner in our local area buy a gun from a guy for pennies on the dollar only to jack the price up by a grand or two that same day .) making money is great but we were right there as they ripped the seller off . best of luck with what ever you decide to do with your guns .

Keep a couple that you want perhaps Rifle, shotgun, 22?

If your kids or grandkids are actually interested in guns or hunting then decide what to give them or sell cheaply to. If they have little to no interest in guns don’t give them or will any. The second you’re gone they will be sold or traded off for whatever cheap forgetful thrill suits their fancy at the moment.

I’ve already dealt with old friends dying with lots of guns and it’s always a squabble over who gets what. Lucky for you it doesn’t matter then but it’s vicious among the living once you kick the bucket.

If you want someone to have a particular gun, give it to them now if you feel your time Is near. Nothing like 4 kids each saying oooo dad told me when he died I got his 1873 44-40… knowing not a damn one of them actually cares to own it.

Everyone has opinions on this. I’ve been through it multiple times and will be enduring it again very soon I think unfortunately.

Easier now when your of sound mind to disperse them. Nothing like a good old family feud otherwise.

I hope you get to feeling better and understand, all the suggestions are good but please watch out for scams, it’s like scammers are growing on trees at the moment, and for the love of God stay away from PayPal.

Ask your kids first. I say that as a son. Old people get greedy over money when they get old. My grandfather sold off most firearms of worth before he died. My dad is starting to do it. Pisses me off. Not that I can’t afford to buy new or better shit it has to do with where it comes from. They may want a memorable firearm. Or leave some to a grand kid. If they are good then sell but check with them first.

My sons will not have that problem. I’ll get off my soapbox
    Aside from having a good reason for selling some of mine off, my kids aren't interested. I had to twist my sons arm to take the ones that were already his and my daughter sold the 2 pistols I had given her. :mad:

I saw a really old man at the gun show one time. He had a shopping cart full of rifles with wood stocks. Almot made me cry.
    I've got a few family heirloom guns, and no kids. I have a nephiew who just shot his own gun a few weeks ago. Also have a cousin with an older son and another cousin with younger kids. Thinking about it now.... Those younger kids were 5-8 years old 10 years ago...

Buddy of mine was given a pile of RCBS reloading equipment from another mutual friend of ours. "I think" the mutual friend was given the reloading stuff by the kids of the guy who died. The former owner who moved on was a guy named Cliff.
    My buddy scratched his name into the primer feeding part of the press. Every time he primes a case he can say "Thanks Cliff"
    Good luck. I hope your stuff ends up with someone who will appreciate it and remember you.

Reactions: DIBBS
    I was Range Safety Officer this weekend and a few kids were shooting “grandpa’s gun”‘and even a few “great grandpa’s guns.”

That was pretty cool.

Pass over a generation and leave them to the grandkids.

Mine are going to the kids and grandkids. You PX lurking trout sniffers can get yer own.

I'd say ask your kids first if there is anything they would like for themselves or for their kids before you sell off.

One of my uncles had a very impressive collection & no sons, One day he took everything down to a shop & sold the lot. (didn't let anyone know)
    When I was a kid, he would come into my grandparents house, unholster his nickle plated 1911, drop the mag/clear it & hand it to me.

Would have happily paid whatever he got for it or more just to have the reminder of him stay in the family.
    I have been trying to find that 1911 for a few years now & the old boy won't likely be around by the time it turns up if it ever does.

My dad divvy'ed out the majority of his gun collection to my middle brother and I when he was in his early 70s. He wanted to see us enjoy them as much as he did beforehe dies. He kept some of the most sentimental ones, which we'll get when he passes.

Most all of those guns have memories attached to them. I have guns that he used when we went on hunting trips together, or when he would take me to the desert shooting.

Aside from a couple junkers that barely or don't work, I can't ever see getting rid of any of them. The attached memories of dad will probably even be stronger once he's no longer here with us.

That being said: I have 5 kids (this is why I don’t own any Accuracy International rifles). All of them have enjoyed shooting with me...but none of them are gun fanatics like I always was. I am in a different predicament regarding the continuing passing down of heirlooms. It is pointless to hold onto something that will end up going to a pawn shop for 50% of its worth. At some point I'll start asking my kids if they want the guns, or the money they're worth. That'll let me know if I need to keep them or start selling.

None of my kids are into guns at all.
    I will have to make decisions I don’t want to make right now.
    But for now I’m still enjoying shooting every chance I get.

Reactions: jb0311
    I have not read the replies yet, I wanted to hit with something when I read your opening post. You say your kids have equipment on par with yours. Well no not really. Your stuff is dads stuff and for some people there is not a value you can put on that.

Having spent the last 5 days flat on my back after turning wrong while butting a 3' long 2x4 pm a wall I know I am closer to the end of this then I would like to admit. Just today I could put on my own socks. Getting old is not for the weak, add in a little "battle damage" and it just gets worse.

Talk to your kids, let them know your thoughts, they may really want it, and be afraid to admit it. If they think you need money or something that could color their decision. And not even "need", if you talked about even "fun" old people stuff like getting a motor home and traveling the US to look at civil war battle fields they could see you "needing" that money for that kind of activity. You really need to feel them out.

Personally I really can't shoot off hand anymore, I am good for 5 rounds tops. Bad nerve damage on my left side, support side, and even a Nylon 66 gets really heavy after one magazine. I just find different ways to enjoy the hobby.

Good luck.

None of my kids are into guns at all.
    I will have to make decisions I don’t want to make right now.
    But for now I’m still enjoying shooting every chance I get.

I am lucky I guess I will say, my son wants all my goofy old "army" guns. He shot most growing up. He is not the "gun nut" that his old man is, but he does enjoy them.

I do however have friends that are in your boat. What they did was make a list of just what they are. In the "historical" area this can get a little fuzzy, as that market does tend to go up, but a Garand is not a Garand, like that other Garand. Same goes for most of the stuff. IF you find the right buyer that Chilean mauser that was one of the blocked Boer rifles will carry a tick more in todays market to the right buyer. You just have to find the "right" buyer. You (I) may know those people but your wife does not, and does not care.

What they do is make a list with a middle of the road figure on what the items are worth. As well as some notes, easy to prove notes, you buy the gun not the story unless you have the papers to go with it. This way you can say hay hon, this one here should bring $500, and that one there $5000. And those should be taking the lot to a gun store and saying what will you give me prices.

Reactions: MadDuner
    My wife's step grandmother handed out grandpa's guns to the grandkids one Christmas. Put them on the table and let them pick. Most didn't know what they even they were and were googling gun values to see what they wanted. I was the biggest gun guy, but I was a step in-law and barely knew the man, so I stayed out of it. Long story short, my wife ended up with a Remington Field master pump .22 LR in excellent condition. I tell my kids about great grandpa when they shoot it. Pass down your legacy, even if it's to someone you might not know.

My wife's step grandmother handed out grandpa's guns to the grandkids one Christmas. Put them on the table and let them pick. Most didn't know what they even they were and were googling gun values to see what they wanted. I was the biggest gun guy, but I was a step in-law and barely knew the man, so I stayed out of it. Long story short, my wife ended up with a Remington Field master pump .22 LR in excellent condition. I tell my kids about great grandpa when they shoot it. Pass down your legacy, even if it's to someone you might not know.
    That pisses me off. They are only in it for the money.

Yea I know I know......if they don't value it they should sell it for something they do value, my issue is what they do value, a new Iphone or something else stupid like that, money flushed down the crapper. If I was the old guy sitting there watching that I would say, well I tell you what. I will sell them all myself and just give you cash, at least I will know they are going to someone that actually wants the item.

When my father passed - my step mother never once asked if I was interested in any of the guns I used to shoot as a kid. She gave them away to members of her own side of the family. I accept the fact that they weren't mine anyway. But I would have cherished any that would have come my way for the sentimental value while remembering shooting together with my father.

I will certainly give anybody I care about the opportunity to have one, or a handful - if they actually want them, because I know firsthand how much the missed opportunity stings.