• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A SMK 500 box light by 106 pieces?

Pinmaster

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Nashville, TN
Is it "normal" for a Sealed 500 box of Sierra (SMK's) to be shy by 106 pieces? Off 1 or 2 I could undetstand but 106 is off by an unacceptable.

I traded a box of 168's that I bought off the hide for 175 SMK's with a hide member. He let me know that the box was kight by <span style="font-weight: bold">106 pieces</span>.

4584643914_0d4c121acf_b.jpg

4584643980_0ce235e969.jpg

Re: A SMK 500 box light by 106 pieces?

Not normal...but things happen. I had a box of 500 168's that had 30 or so 180's in it. I did get a few pressure signs until I tracked that down.

Now that would have driven me nutz LOL

I told him that I would make it right.. I will mail him a box of 100 and 6 others.

It might be sealed but is it the original plastic seal? My buddy had a machine at work that could replicate the factory packaging exactly

No way to really tell, but that shrinkwrap doesn't look quite like the usual quality of Sierra boxes. Also, was the plastic bag inside still twist-tied with a green twist tie?
I agree that 106 light is probably outside QC at Sierra. I would bet that Sierra weighs the boxes and 106 would definitely be noticibly light.

I have had MULTPIPLE smaller boxes of 50 and 100 show up light when the UPS drivers have manhandled the delivery boxes and the plastic boxes inside are open and spilled all over the place, and I guess some of the bullets managed to get out of the outer box.
madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No way to really tell, but that shrinkwrap doesn't look quite like the usual quality of Sierra boxes. Also, was the plastic bag inside still twist-tied with a green twist tie?
</div></div>

I am not sure what was on the inside.. I <span style="font-style: italic">Ass</span>umed that the shrinkwrap was legit and I never opened the box.

I will open and count any that I order from now on.

It kind of sucks that I got shafted by 106... but I will not pass that shafting along to a fellow hide member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ghogs,
Who did you trade with?

madd0c </div></div>
The member hasn't posted since 5/18, I tried emailing him today so we'll see what that develops.
**UPDATE*** I have finally recieved the bullets, guess the "wife" hadnt setn'm out.

I had two bags of Remington .260 brass show up that I ordered in. The first bag I opened had 91 in it...the second sealed bag had 112 pieces in it. Same lot. Who knows what happened there?

Speaking of trades.... I have an un-opened box (still has the original vacumn wrapper seal) of 500 .308 155 SMK Palmas (2155) that I would love to trade for 175SMK, 168SMK or 178 AMAXs. I bought them thinking my SPS-T would shoot them well but after trying some out of a box of 100, I gave up before I ever opened the box of 500. My gun only seems to like the heavier pills so these are just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. PM me if interested.....

Several of the boxes of Sierra SMK's I've recieved from Midsouth Shooters Supply looked like your box, but I've never taken the time to count them...? 106 seems excessive though...

Better start counting my 500 count boxes od SMK's now.

I received a reply from the hide member that I bought them from....

"<span style="font-style: italic">I don't know what to say. The box was new, and still sealed. But thanks for the update.</span>"

I counted the box 500 175's that I received and it was 500 on the dot.

You have nothing to lose by making Sierra aware of the incident. Spell out an HONEST account of the ENTIRE transfer history of the bullets--and provide the pictures of the boxes as you shipped them. Who knows, maybe there was an issue at the factory.

Not making any accusations but the plastic on my box of 500 SMK didn't look like that. I have another one coming from Sierra that I could take a picture of whenever it gets here... The plastic on my boxes of 500 looks thicker but the seals look the same (kinda crescent moon-ish). Really hard to tell though, either way, I'm going to start counting my boxes.

Shot_In_The_Dark Post a pic of the box that you receive If you have time. That way I will know what a 500 box is supposed to look like. This was the first box of 500 that I had bought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot_In_The_Dark Post a pic of the box that you receive If you have time. That way I will know what a 500 box is supposed to look like. This was the first box of 500 that I had bought.

</div></div>

Will do but it's be about a week before they show. The seal does look right but I'll post up a pic when they get here.

If the photo in the top pic is the one you are talking about the plastic is not the problem. I see the paper seal is cut and someone just re shrink wrapped it. Who ever you got it from re wrapped IMO.
RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the photo in the top pic is the one you are talking about the plastic is not the problem. I see the paper seal is cut and someone just re shrink wrapped it. Who ever you got it from re wrapped IMO.
RTH </div></div>

+1 The plastic on my box looks the same,cheap and thin but the seal from the label should not be cut.

I think you got ripped off,the box should not have been cut.

Thats ALOT of missing product. Send Sierra an e-mail with pics and the description of your acquistion. They will know if it left the factory like that or the box had been tampered with.

I may have gotten ripped a bit on this one.. I am going to write it off as a $35 life lesson. I should have know better and asked the seller right away. He did have 4 other boxes of 500 for sale and I hope that the other hide members that bought from him received there the whole 500.

I have already mailed 106 to the hide member that I traded with... to make my end of the trade right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I see the paper seal is cut and someone just re shrink wrapped it. Who ever you got it from re wrapped IMO.
RTH </div></div>

Yep, I didn't notice that but he's right. the paper seal is also cut so this had to have been a re-wrap of some sort.

Did the 106 come from weighing or actually counting these?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the 106 come from weighing or actually counting these? </div></div>

By count I believe. He went to load the 500 and was short by 106.

I recently purchased a box of 175's from a store that looked a lot like that. Paper sticker seal was partially broken, it just looked like it had been dropped or kicked around during shipping. I'm going to have to count it now.

Edit: Count came out to 502. My box looked exactly like the one pictured for what its worth.

I received the box
I thought the shrink wrap was thinner than the 175 I have
Last weekend I loaded them
I had 500 cases ready
Opened box and seal was broke and there was some clear tape on one flap
Twist tie on bag also did not look factory
Hoped for best.......
Came up short
Sent the email.........
Was hoping something like grabbed the wrong box....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snafu12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received the box
I thought the shrink wrap was thinner than the 175 I have
Last weekend I loaded them
I had 500 cases ready
Opened box and seal was broke and there was some clear tape on one flap
Twist tie on bag also did not look factory
Hoped for best.......
Came up short
Sent the email.........
Was hoping something like grabbed the wrong box.... </div></div>

Sorry that I did not look at the seal/box closer snafu12... you should receive a sealed (I know for sure) box 0f 100 (+6) today or tomorrow.

No worries here
I thank you for making good
It is an odd ball thing