• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A which rifle question

towershot

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2009
Los Angeles
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a bit and now have a question for you experts. I'm going to be trading one of my 1911 pistols for a rifle out here in CA and have been offered two trades. This is where you guys come in. One is a NIB Sako TRG 22, the other being an early, slightly used, GAP ROCK with a brand new Zeiss Victory Riflescope Diavari 6-24x56 T* on it. So which one do I trade for. The Sako is brand new and in pristine condition, but needs base, rings, and glass, however, the ROCK is used but with new glass. Looks is not really a factor, this rifle will be shot. I will only be punching paper and shooting as steel with it. So what would you guys go with and why? I'm leaning towards the ROCK but my only reservation is that I would be the third owner. Thank you in advance.

Re: A which rifle question

That's kind of what I was leaning towards, does the fact that I do not handload make any difference?

The following rifle was also just offered up for trade, R&D Precision Full Custom Built Remington 700 SA .308Win AICS 2.0 Adjustable Folder, please advise. Thank you.

Gap is more set up with having optics if that is a determining plus +. The folding AICS stock is a nice perk to the R&D. I would pick those over the TRG-22 but that is my personal opinion. SmokeRolls

Any chance you can put a few rounds through the GAP before you decide?

Is the Remington 700 new or used?

The Remington has 50 rounds through it. Not gonna be able to put any rounds through the GAP before I buy. I do have a question about the Sako, how important is it to use their bipod? I always have heard that it is a great bipod, but expensive as all hell. I have a few pics of the GAP, if someone wouldn't mind taking a look at them for me, that would be great. Thanks guys.

I would buy the GAP + scope, then sell the scope( to much clicking) , then sell the GAP and buy the TRG22 with Near rings and base and IOR SH for it.( Sako bipod is better than the Harris, but not that important.

Yeh.. SoCalPete: I was wondering that myself.... Must be a helluva 1911.......Plated in Gold 24 ct.???? ..SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeh.. SoCalPete: I was wondering that myself.... Must be a helluva 1911.......Plated in Gold 24 ct.???? ..SmokeRolls </div></div>

Or one that was built by a well known smith like CT Brian, Chuck Rogers, etc. Those can fetch top dollar for at the minimum $2500 - $3000.

Personally, since you're in Los Angeles, I would take the R&D rifle. If anything is wrong or goes wrong with it, it is a short trip east on the 210 freeway to Randy to fix. IMO.

Take the GAP and then in a little while spend about 400 bucks for a Savage 22LR with an accutrigger and a reasonable scope. Use this as a trianer to shoot to 200+

Now for only 400 more you have something to kill anything in north america and you can reach to 1000 yards. You also get a trainer or "plinker" that probably won't wear out in your lifetime.

I will swim against the tide here and say the TRG, then its yours and you know how many pills have gone through it. Save and put a Night force on it. Always better to get new when you get the chance. I have made this mistake before, I dont want you to make the same one.

Curtis

Go with the GAP. Even if the tube is shot out you've got the optics, rails, and rings.

Who cares how many owners it's had -- how many rounds has it shot? I'll bet you're happier in the long run (especially if all you have to do is add bullets and go).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... Which 1911 do you have up for sale/trade???</div></div>
+1... Who the hell is willing to let ANY of those rifles go for ANY 1911!!! Smells a little like sushi!

I don't have personal experience with any of the rifles mentioned, but the GAP and R&D I would think would probably be equivalent as far as quality/accuracy goes. The GAP also comes with optics, so that is a big plus. It's ready to go shoot. Good optics will cost you an extra $1k+, unless you go with a super sniper fixed 10X. I think you get more for your trade with the GAP. I wouldn't think the AICS stock would be that much more valuable over the stock on the GAP (what stock is it?) that it would be worth more than the scope as an upgrade.

Crunch the numbers.

New TRG- $2800

Used GAP plus Scope--$4000-$5000 depending upon condition and options

R & D in AICS- $2800--3200 depending on options.

I have a TRG 22 and love it, but I would go for the GAP as it is the best value.

I bet the 1911 is a IPSC open gun from someone like Brazos.

The 1911 is a Nighthawk Enforcer, somewhat of a rarity here in CA. I'm going to need to add cash for the GAP and therefore am leaning towards the TRG for right now. I like the fact that it is new. Thank you for all the advice so far.

I'd hold each rifle in several different shooting positions. Then pick the one that feels the best overall.

Depends on how much cash you got to add. If it's not much, the Gap would be the best value. The R&D and the TRG would be close to the same value. I have a TRG22 and like it quite a bit, but if the trade for the Gap would only have you spending a little, that's the one I would go with.