• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns A woman was murdered in her apt close to where we live. We currently don't own any EDC equipment and would like advice -concerned about wife's safety

Just my .02 cents.

I will start with she needs to get a LTC license but until then the below will help.

If she is only going to carry in her car then you don't need a license. she can conceal carry it in her purse as she walks to and from her place of residence.

My ex-wife worked at the hospitals in Houston, Pleasanton, and did some in San Antonio. You can have a gun inside your car at work but none of the hospitals will allow them to carry. I had her carry a knife and pepper spray so she had something to protect herself until she got to the car.

The gun: take her to a range that has rentals and have her try out a bunch of different guns in different calibers. Women are not like men when it comes to guns. We will shoot whatever even if it isn't just perfect. A woman will not want to practice unless it fits just right and it isn't too much recoil to make them dislike it. I know im going to get a lot of shit for this one but if she wants a pink gun then get her a pink gun. if that means she will practice with it and use it then who cares what color it is. A 9mm to the chest will do the same amount of damage no matter if the gun is pink, green, red, or black.

the holster: without a license, I would look at a desantis pocket holster or something cost effective that protects the trigger while in the purse. With the license, find out what position she is comfortable carrying and what she can effectively conceal. they make special purses for concealed carry so there is that route.

Have her take a class on shooting and one that goes over concealed carry. She needs to understand that if she is carrying, she might be in the situation to use it. A gun isn't a scare tactic alone. If she pulls it out then she needs to be ready to use it. No that doesn't mean she has to fire if the situation doesn't warrant it but she needs to be prepared in case it does. if drawing on someone has them run away and you can get to safe place then no shots need to be fired.

Good luck with it all.

Some gun ranges like Bullet Trap in Plano (just north of the Op's area on 75) have a rental section where you can rent a large selection of different guns at a decent price & try them all out.

if you wear pants that actually fit (IE not skinny jeans).....use a pocket holster......and dont carry anything else in your pockets, theres really nothing wrong with pocket carry...

my draw speed is exactly the same from the belt or from in a pocket.

the main upside to pocket carry is you can have your hand on your gun, and not be presenting yourself as a threat......example, your walking your dog and you see someone walking up behind you.....you can have your hand on your gun until you can verify whether its an attacker....or just someone out for a walk minding their own business......something you cant easily do with belt carry.
I’m sure some people like it. And it probably is plenty fast if your hand is already on the firearm. It has its place. Just said I’m not a big fan. Can you actually draw while sprinting?

The point of open carry is that they will find someone else to stab.

Predators do not go out looking for a challenge, they look for the weak, that's why all the mass shootings happen in "gun free zones".

If you are unlucky enough that an attacker fixates on you even if they know you are carrying, you're fucked so the right move is to present yourself in a way that projects strength.

I would carry if I could. I was denied even an application for a CCW permit and that was after a lawsuit that required applications be made available. I talked to gun lawyers but it wasn't the right fight at the time.

I would love to legally CCW while traveling through Oakland, San Francisco and some of the gang lands outside the bay area but I can not.

When I'm in certain high crime places like that, I'm on high alert but also trying to stand out as little as possible, CCW makes sense there as well as the fact that OC would result in lots of man with a gun police calls (and I barely trust the police more than criminals in those places).

I'm not an OC guy but when you're in a state where you can and you have a threat near your home where you are going to be a lot of the time, it starts to make sense.
A firearm isn’t a magic talisman...it’s not going to act like a force field.

For every attacker you “ scare off”.... count on there being another attacker seeking you out specifically because they know if they get the drop on you, they’ll have a nice new gun to sell off.

If you go about your day thinking “ I’m showing my gun, no one will mess with me”..... you are on a find yourself in a lot of trouble real quick...... because that means you are not prepared because you are not expecting anyone to attack you.

There are criminals out there that fight with 220lb cops.... you honestly think they are going to leave some 100lb woman alone just because she’s OCing?

I’m sorry but some of you guys need to do some serious research and experience before dispensing device.

There is some good advice on this thread and some terrible advice as well. I’m not the end all be all of self defense but some of that stuff is just stupid.

My POV:

Good advice:
Get training
Get the right mindset
Situational awareness will solve most issues
Get a handgun that will actually be carried and the user is proficient with (Revolver is less proned to malfunctions but gives up recoil and capacity)
If the user isn’t going to train then DON’T give them a gun! Pick a different defense item

Bad advice:
Open Carry... I can list 10 ways this is just looking for trouble.
Deterents... the best deterrent is situational awareness. Attackers are looking for those that seem weak and oblivious.
.22 caliber.... enough said.... Just No....
Knife carry... not bad in itself but without training this could be really bad outside of a last resort

C’mon guys. If you don’t personally have training or experience in this then you shouldn’t be dispensing advice.... you are going to get someone hurt.

Excellent advise.

Flyer, he's talking about you in that last sentence. Your advice regarding the carrying of firearms for self defense is so fucked up it's borderline irresponsible. The words "stay in your lane" haven't rang so true in a long time.

When I was in high school there was a mean SOB two doors down. He beat his wife regularly and, 50 years ago, it appeared that was no one else's business. She bought a gun and hid in an easily accessible location at home. One night he came home and felt like it was time to put a beating on her. Yes, she did. But the shot was not well placed and she was not prepared to "finish the job". He took the gun away and shot her. Her wound was worse and she never fully recovered.
I took it as a lesson. There will always be bad people and in order to survive them we must be able to be badder. Mindset in a fight is everything. The will to survive is the only thing. Cliche goes something like shoot them until they think they are dead.
During my time in the firearms industry I spoke to many who were at a promo to purchase that first gun. One that stuck out; a woman came to the counter and asked to see a Glock 27. I told her I would be happy to show her one but asked if she would take time to look at my brand's alternative. I handed her the G27. her first words were "so this is what it looks like". I gently asked how she came to ask for the G27 and she said her boy friend's brother's cousin's best friend said it was perfect for her. It was obvious she had not shot the G27 so I asked if she had eve fired a gun. Her answer was no. I asked her to manipulate the slide but she didn't have the strength. It was readily apparent she had a hard time keeping her finger off the trigger. Then, to my disbelief, she got a stern look on her ace and pointed the gun at my chest (finger still on the trigger) and said "this would really scare someone wouldn't it?" I reached across the counter, wrested the G27 from her hand, placed it in the glass display case and told he "If you only want to buy a gun to scare someone they will take it away from you and kill you with it. Get a Halloween mask instead."
I do not go outside without my EDC blade, EDC flashlight and my S&W Shield. On the other hand, my wife just has no business carrying. She has neither the mindset nor the desire to build the skills required for responsible carry. DO NOT make these kinds of decisions FOR SOMEONE ELSE. They are far too important and far too personal.

A firearm isn’t a magic talisman...it’s not going to act like a force field.
For every attacker you “ scare off”.... count on there being another attacker seeking you out specifically because they know if they get the drop on you, they’ll have a nice new gun to sell off.
If you go about your day thinking “ I’m showing my gun, no one will mess with me”..... you are on a find yourself in a lot of trouble real quick...... because that means you are not prepared because you are not expecting anyone to attack you.
There are criminals out there that fight with 220lb cops.... you honestly think they are going to leave some 100lb woman alone just because she’s OCing?

Which explains why most of us and for that matter a large percentage of civilians that carry a gun on a daily basis like to keep it concealed & open carry is kind of limited to specific situations that may call for it, or specific individuals..

I'd say in most circumstances, probably having the element of surprise & them not knowing you have a gun is the safer way to go.

Hi,

Just a quick side note in regards to "Get a bigger dog".....

Getting a dog based on breed, shit... even proven protection lineage and not having that dog trained AND yourself trained to function with it is like getting a pistol and expecting your wife to clear a house and understand what the fatal funnel is without her ever putting a magazine in a pistol before it is time for her to really use it.

Just because a dog "acts" aggressive towards strangers does NOT mean that dog will remain aggressive once the stranger acts aggressive towards it.
There is a very good reason that maybe 1 dog out of 5 litters will ever make it to a fully trained personal protection dog.
It is easy to get a dog that "acts" aggressive and that can lure you into thinking it will protect you but in reality that "protection" is nothing more than a pipe dream unless you have had it trained and tested.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
This is a long thread and I skimmed the last half, but one extra thing you can add that will also bring peace of mind to both of you when you are away from home is a security system. We installed a Simply Safe system in our house last year. It took about 30 minutes to do the whole thing ourselves. It's nice knowing I'm not going to come home from a vacation and find my house ransacked or come home from work late and find someone in my house. When you walk in, the system beeps at you until you punch in the code to disarm. There is a separate "duress" code you can punch in that gives the illusion that you turned the system off, but it immediately calls the cops. If you are worried about someone forcing you into your house, this can be part of solution to that problem.

-Dan

Texas, you can carry concealed in your car. No license required, as long as it stays in your car and is only carried when going to and from your car and your home.
I would look at a a holster under the steering wheel (or similar) along with the safe, once she parks.
When looking at a sub-compact, look to nothing more than a 9mm, especially for a novice.
I have seen far too many try to shoot a .40 in sub-compact, it is hard, even for experienced folks. Honestly, a good .380 is really sufficient.
Practice, practice, practice.

Hi,

Just a quick side note in regards to "Get a bigger dog".....

Getting a dog based on breed, shit... even proven protection lineage and not having that dog trained AND yourself trained to function with it is like getting a pistol and expecting your wife to clear a house and understand what the fatal funnel is without her ever putting a magazine in a pistol before it is time for her to really use it.

Just because a dog "acts" aggressive towards strangers does NOT mean that dog will remain aggressive once the stranger acts aggressive towards it.
There is a very good reason that maybe 1 dog out of 5 litters will ever make it to a fully trained personal protection dog.
It is easy to get a dog that "acts" aggressive and that can lure you into thinking it will protect you but in reality that "protection" is nothing more than a pipe dream unless you have had it trained and tested.

Sincerely,
Theis
exactly.....most dogs are pussies.......and thats usually a good thing for a house dog(so its not mauling everyone that visits)

my uncle had a pure bred pitbull, nearly 100lbs of pure muscle...towards other animals the thing was viscous......but towards people.....she was a kitten.......she would bark and bark and bark.....but if you tried to pet her she would run away and hide.

just looking at her youd think shed rip your throat out.....but shes not wired that way.

house dogs are great as an early warning system.....wouldnt rely on them for protection.

just looking at her youd think shed rip your throat out.....but shes not wired that way.

This is kind of the point. What percentage of attackers are going to ignore a large dog that looks like it's going to rip their throat out? Complete dismissal of "deterrent" is folly. You don't need a dog trained for 5yrs by the MPs for it to be effective 99% of the time in convincing a shitbag to find a softer target.

Presenting a firearm that you are unprepared to use effectively is a liability, yes, but no one can kill you with your own dog. And hey, bonus, you have a sweet dog to boot.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Been reading up on the LCR9, it's beginning to look like it's well suited to the chambering, and to the task, both. The moon clip makes it the fastest unloading/reloading specimen of wheel gun in this category, according to Ayoob. (ETA link) IMHO, it's closer to the process of reloading a semi-auto than other wheel guns. I tend to downplay the idea of reloading under stress, unless it's been well ingrained with training. Mainly, though I don't see circumstances being favorable for it.

One thing about the 9mm, in a revolver, the recoil is apparently a lot snappier than that of a semi, but the LCR9 grip configuration eases that out significantly. Accuracy, even at 25yd, is very respectable, again according to Ayoob. He's an outstanding shooter, so YMMV.

Consequently, I'll be looking to handle and fire an LCR9; decisions to follow. If it works out, putting four or five of them into the household may be the best use I could have for the money.

Greg

Last edited:
Been reading up on the LCR9, it's beginning to look like it's well suited to the chambering, and to the task, both. The moon clip makes it the fastest unloading/reloading specimen of wheel gun in this category, according to Ayoob. IMHO, it's closer to the process of reloading a semi-auto than other wheel guns. I tend to downplay the idea of reloading under stress, unless it's been well ingrained with training. Mainly, though I don't see circumstances being favorable for it.

One thing about the 9mm, in a revolver, the recoil is apparently a lot snappier than that of a semi, but the LCR9 grip configuration eases that out significantly. Accuracy, even at 25yd, is very respectable, again according to Ayoob. He's an outstanding shooter, so YMMV.

Consequently, I'll be looking to handle and fire an LCR9; decisions to follow. If it works out, putting four or five of them into the household may be the best use I could have for the money.

Greg
Ayoob is a tool bag.
I remember well his calling the .40 S&W ".40 short and weak" and how the .40 would be unsuitable for LE/self-defense.

Texas laws.
You can carry in your car, no ltc needed.

When you get your ltc, your employer can not keep you from having it in your vehicle.
Parking lots are not premises. Texas ltc laws protect you on that.
I would not mention it to any coworkers hospitals are full of libtards.

Federal property is a different problem.

Many good carry purses available my wife likes "moonstruck leather" and for onbody
Carries an xds 45 in a femfatal "bustenhalter" style thing the gals like a lot.

The 45 xds kicks a bit much for beginners they have it in 9mm as well as some other women
I know carry, a little kicky but thin conceals well.

Insurance, check out texas law shield.

Might have her look up Diva Wow.org for support, training and fun .
Some women like training from a woman's perspective better.
My wife is a cowtown chapter member, and I fully support it.

This is kind of the point. What percentage of attackers are going to ignore a large dog that looks like it's going to rip their throat out? Complete dismissal of "deterrent" is folly. You don't need a dog trained for 5yrs by the MPs for it to be effective 99% of the time in convincing a shitbag to find a softer target.

Presenting a firearm that you are unprepared to use effectively is a liability, yes, but no one can kill you with your own dog. And hey, bonus, you have a sweet dog to boot.
I’m not saying it’s useless to have an intimidating dog....I’m saying I would not depend on it for protection.

Nor would I count on it’s intimidation factor....for the same reason I wouldn’t count on OC to scare off an attacker

exactly.....most dogs are pussies.......and thats usually a good thing for a house dog(so its not mauling everyone that visits)

my uncle had a pure bred pitbull, nearly 100lbs of pure muscle...towards other animals the thing was viscous......but towards people.....she was a kitten.......she would bark and bark and bark.....but if you tried to pet her she would run away and hide.

house dogs are great as an early warning system.....wouldnt rely on them for protection.

Just like everything else, if you want a certain response. You must train them to respond that way. Just like people.

I would be worried about a scared dog like that biting someone.

Personally I do not go anywhere with out a gun on me. I also had my wife get her ccw. However we are in pa. For you wife I do not know your budget but Sig Sauer has a micro compact that can hold 12 rounds of 9mm. It’s like 1 pound. It’s an amazing gun and great for a small to medium hand. I have a large hand and it fits nice but I carry a Glock 27. Good luck in whatever you choose. Oh by the way I’m in le and pepper spray if concealed could be considered a concealed weapon. Not too sure about Texas laws. Just watch your six.

Personally I do not go anywhere with out a gun on me. I also had my wife get her ccw. However we are in pa. For you wife I do not know your budget but Sig Sauer has a micro compact that can hold 12 rounds of 9mm. It’s like 1 pound. It’s an amazing gun and great for a small to medium hand. I have a large hand and it fits nice but I carry a Glock 27. Good luck in whatever you choose. Oh by the way I’m in le and pepper spray if concealed could be considered a concealed weapon. Not too sure about Texas laws. Just watch your six.
Oh one other thing. Practice practice practice. Buy a good conceal holster and practice taking it out of the holster hundreds of times. Tell her front sight focus. Just concentrate on the front sight. Pull it out of the holster while seated in her car while walking while sitting. No one is just going to let you get your stance to pull a gun out. Also if you carry on an empty tube. You might as well not carry at all.

Yes be very careful, in case you fear for your life we would hate to see you
Pull out some contraband pepper sprey.

Really?

Get strapped asap!, get training asap, get a ltc asap.
Let your threat level determine order, le is not going to hold your hand on the way home.
Don't take anyones word for it and look up the texas gun laws.
You can have home and automotive protection right now.
Texas "castle" laws are spelled out.
Bad guys or a Texas prosecutor don't care what is done out of state.
https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/stand-your-ground

Last edited:
Reactions: richthe1
Thanks for all the ideas and advice, someone even PM’d me if there was anything else specific they could help answer - appreciate it all. Sorry I don’t have time to respond to everyone’s comments. There’s quite the rabbit hole to go down when it comes to EDC (isn’t there with everything?).

For picking a handgun, we ended up going to the range and renting a lot of different guns as many of you suggested. Her favorite one to shoot was the Sig Sauer P229 - she loved the trigger. However, she also liked the M&P Shield and thinks it will be a much better overall choice for a carry due to the size. But most of all, shooting over 200rds today gave her confidence that she could do well with any handgun given enough practice.

I know this is just a small step, but thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: Srikaleak
Security should always be viewed in layers. Where you live is the first layer. Another layer is your neighbors. If you feel you cannot move than you have to closely examine the environment of your apartment complex. How far is it from where she parks to the first keyed door before she gets to the apartment. What is the lighting like? Are there any blind spots? When she walks the dog can she stay in lighted areas that are close to other apartments where she could be heard if she yells. What is the quality of your front door and it's locks? Do you both have 911 on insta-dial? This goes on and on. If your wife is coming home late do you have her call you fifteen before she arrives? Do you drag your butt out of bed and be near where she arrives for at least five minutes so you can assess the area? Knowing your neighbors is critically important. For all you know, the guy two doors down could be a retired tier one operator who would be happy to escort your wife, regardless of time of day, when you are not available. He might also be a great barbecue cook and a delightful dinner companion. Make a list of all the things you and your wife can think of then go out and examine your surroundings both day and night and make decisions about what you will and will not do. There are security consultants available if you feel you need them.

As to personal combat and note I said combat not personal defense that presents another set of problems. Combat means all security and defenses have failed. It sounds like both you and your wife are somewhat new to firearms. The learning curve is a long one but not at all impossible. You will have to decide how capable you and your wife want to be. Just three more quick things. You need training in shooting. You need training in tactics and you need training in mindset. You can aquire the knowledge from books, videos or instructors. Due diligence is required when deciding on any of these sources. All security is an intrusion on your life, hence the concern of identifying firearms which you are willing to carry at all times. If it is too heavy, too large, too hard to conceal you will leave it at home. You have to make the decisions of threat level and what you are willing to do to mitigate them. The famous outpost Restrepo in the Korangal Valley Afghanistan has/had radically different security defenses than Ft. Lewis WA.

People who end up defenseless victims have made a choice. Do not allow yourself or your wife to be that person.

Hi,

Ok so it appears you are speaking about the killing of Lin Wang at the Churchill on the Park apartments. Is that correct?

Small world if true. She went to my university. I hope it is resolved quickly.

As far as info I think everyone addressed all the issues. One last thing for you AND your wife to do is practice screaming. Being a loud target will help mobilize help and will probably stun your assailant. Practice in the car on the commute home. It helps if the traffic is particularly brutal as well.

1. Situational awareness
2. Bright flashlight on at night wherever she goes
3. Gun that your wife enjoys to shoot. Doesn't matter the size as long as its a good fit. She'll have to get over discomfort of carrying a slightly larger handgun but peace of mind > comfort.
4. Be loud if attacked.
5. Practice, practice, practice. Go as often as you can to the range. Buy dummy caps (google azoom snap caps of your caliber) and practice dry firing at home. Bulk ammo i buy online (sgammo.com in oklahoma) and i stick with 9mm 124gr blazer, Fiocchi, federal.

Last edited:
The moon clip makes it the fastest unloading/reloading specimen of wheel gun in this category, according to Ayoob.
A moon clip will bend a lot easier than you think and certainly it's easier to damage than a speedloader.

Best case scenario is that the clip is bent enough that will render that reload useless. Worst case is it's bent just enough to let the rounds go into the chambers and then locks up the cylinder hard as soon as you close it.

I carried revolvers exclusively for about the first four of my eleven years carrying handguns. I never trusted moon clips and always used Safariland speedloaders, mostly Comp 2s. Now that I reflect, I would rather carry my reloads in Comp 3s. They are blindingly fast and no harder to conceal than a double stack pistol magazine.

1. Situational awareness. Dont have your head in the cell phone while walking the dog or to the apartment. Take a 10 second look around while entering the parking lot and before leaving the vehicle. While walking look far ahead. If a group is loitering in your determined path, take the long way. Dont get within a half block to go a different route. If they have Ill will,
They will be assessing you. Simple steps like this can ALMOST get you through your whole life without incident.

2. Training is secondary but of no less importance. She must and will gain confidence in herself and whatever weapon she chooses to carry. Predators like easy meals. Put what she's confident with in her hands even if it's a .22. If she doesn't like a bigger caliber, she wont be confident. You can buy a more appropriate caliber down the road.
Also if she's truly as worried as you are a basic self defense class will help with her confidence as well.

Good luck. Remember rule #1

Ayoob is a tool bag.
I remember well his calling the .40 S&W ".40 short and weak" and how the .40 would be unsuitable for LE/self-defense.

I had not been aware of this, my knowledge of Ayoob is limited and based on third party commentary.

I thank you for the update, and will temper my views regarding his input.

However, there appears to be some factual data in his report, and I find that compelling, regardless of issues with reputations.

I'm still a bit away from any acquisitions. I have two additional family members to shoehorn into our small home over the coming two weeks; and anything that requires iron sights/dot scope shooting needs to be on hold until I get a positive outcome from my upcoming cataracts surgeries, probably happening in November.

All things in their appropriate time...

A moon clip will bend a lot easier than you think and certainly it's easier to damage than a speed loader.

Best case scenario is that the clip is bent enough that will render that reload useless. Worst case is it's bent just enough to let the rounds go into the chambers and then locks up the cylinder hard as soon as you close it.

Only one of us has the requisite experience with Moon Clips to comment accurately on this, and it's not me. I will also factor this into my selection process. Whatever the truth is, it will be largely influenced by training and the people involved. Time and practice will tell.

Meanwhile, I'm grateful for the advice you've shared; thank you.

Greg

Last edited:
Lots of people used to joke about the .40 S&W because it was specifically developed due to too many people not being able to handle full power 10mm guns (as well as needing a smaller grip)....

Funny how things turn... now the "smart" talk is that .40 S&W has too much recoil & not enough capacity... so back to the 9mm
While the guys who want the performance are all hot again on full power 10mm and the .40 S&W is not as hot...
The circle continues turning...

I'm still a bit away from any acquisitions. I have two additional family members to shoehorn into our small home over the coming two weeks; and anything that requires iron sights/dot scope shooting needs to be on hold until I get a positive outcome from my upcoming cataracts surgeries, probably happening in November.
Greg

The Ruger LCR series is a really good revolver option for Concealed Carry.
However if this is for around the home and not concealed carry, take a look at something like the Ruger SP101 A bit longer and a bit heavier, but way easier to be accurate with and a lot more fun to shoot. (comes in several barrel lengths).

Training. Please . Both of you go get training. It’s far better then any YouTube video or anything you can read . Save money and go , or sell something. Just get training.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/category/negative-outcomes-2/

A number of lessons to be learned from those carrying a firearm. Some of them relate to avoidance but other aspects of personal protection can also be learned.

Murder definitions

Emotional Hijacking

Dealing with the mentally ill

The role of Seconds or Partners

Options – especially withdrawal

Stand Your Ground (or not)

Preparation and Deployment for Combat

Using weapons adequately

The cost of killing

You’re always on video

Gun owners, whether carrying a gun or keeping a gun at home, can and do make mistakes, sometimes very serious ones.

Serious Mistakes that gun owners make are things like:

Shooting yourself

Shooting someone you shouldn’t have, either intentionally or unintentionally

Getting needlessly arrested

Getting shot by police officers responding to a call for help

Leaving guns where unauthorized persons can access them, resulting in tragedies

Frightening innocent people around you

Endangering innocent people needlessly

Just one of the categories of Negative Outcomes.

Brandishing or showing

Chasing and shooting

Downrange failures (the only one on the list that relates to marksmanship)

Intervention

Lost/stolen guns

Mistaken identity shootings

Negligent discharges

Self-inflicted GSW

Unintentional shootings

Police Involvement – e.g., getting needlessly arrested

Poor judgement

Unauthorized access

Unjustifiable shootings

* Warning shots

Last edited:
Hi,

Here is the deal lol..... Security is NOT convenient!! How "secure" you want to be will be directly linked to how convenient or inconvenient you are willing to be.

In regards to "Deterrence"....well typically that only works with random crimes. It typically does NOT work with serial/habitual crimes.

Someone that is a serial rapist does not give a rats ass if you open carry, conceal carry, walk a big dog, carry a little dog, etc etc...they are after a specific "type" of person and once they see that type of person then it just becomes a waiting game. They just have to get their timing right once to succeed, you have to get your timing right EVERY single time for them not to succeed.

Serial abductors---same as serial rapist.

For those that advocate concealed or open carry.....do you carry in your house? If not then why, when you have over a 70% greater chance of being a victim of a crime in your house than you do going about your out of house daily activities.

Lets examine the following pictures of a lady walking her dog(s).....which one do you think is more susceptible to becoming a victim of a "Random" attack?

bc21a22a45de62b2883a905512f5ce09.jpg

julianna-hough-best-bargain-buy-ftr.jpg

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: W54/XM-388
For those that advocate concealed or open carry.....do you carry in your house? If not then why, when you have over a 70% greater chance of being a victim of a crime in your house than you do going about your out of house daily activities.

Lets examine the following pictures of a lady walking her dog(s).....which one do you think is more susceptible to becoming a victim of a "Random" attack?
Sincerely,
Theis

The one advantage of Pocket carry is that you can pretty much carry all day long, including all around your house without even noticing it after awhile, the gun is just part of your clothes. In my case I have my pocket carry with me pretty much from the time I get out of bed till I go to sleep, except for a couple exceptions & for the most part I don't even notice I have it. (However there are some times I don't have it for certain events & I do need to work on that now that you mention it).

Of your pictures I'd suggest that one party looks like they would be harder to grab than the other as one would probably be setup to run/move a bit faster all things being equal. however it appears to be two quite different locations and different weather patterns. A more remote location would allow for less observation for setting up a capture.

Hi,

Here is the deal lol..... Security is NOT convenient!! How "secure" you want to be will be directly linked to how convenient or inconvenient you are willing to be.

In regards to "Deterrence"....well typically that only works with random crimes. It typically does NOT work with serial/habitual crimes.

Someone that is a serial rapist does not give a rats ass if you open carry, conceal carry, walk a big dog, carry a little dog, etc etc...they are after a specific "type" of person and once they see that type of person then it just becomes a waiting game. They just have to get their timing right once to succeed, you have to get your timing right EVERY single time for them not to succeed.

Sincerely,
Theis
I'd take the bottom one. She makes more money.

I had not been aware of this, my knowledge of Ayoob is limited and based on third party commentary.

I thank you for the update, and will temper my views regarding his input.

However, there appears to be some factual data in his report, and I find that compelling, regardless of issues with reputations.

Only one of us has the requisite experience with Moon Clips to comment accurately on this, and it's not me. I will also factor this into my selection process. Whatever the truth is, it will be largely influenced by training and the people involved. Time and practice will tell.

Meanwhile, I'm grateful for the advice you've shared; thank you.

Greg
I used to shoot moon clip revolvers extensively. I shot them in IDPA, USPSA and ICORE.
One was a model 625 in .45 ACP, the other an 8 shot taurus (608) in .357 magnum.
I did, in fact bend a couple of the .357 moonclips by stepping on them, I also bent speedloaders by stepping on them.
I NEVER bent one in my pocket or in a moonclip holder.
The .357 ones were thinner, with less support (8 rounds vice 6) and did begin to wear out but this was from pretty heavy use and many many instances of inserting and removing rounds from the clips.
The easy answer is to have multiple clips. Several loaded with carry ammo and several to use at the range.
When I was running the 608, I used two loads, one major and one minor. For major power factor, I used .38 long colt brass loaded to 9x23 specs, for minor I used .38 short colt brass loaded to 9mm specs.
Shorter cases load faster and wiggle less.
The 9mm in a short barrel revolver will give you significantly more pop than a .38 and nowadays, the ammo is cheaper as well.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis

According to your last sentence, clearly one girl is going to be the victim of a violent rape, and the other is going to cut the attacker's nuts off and feed them to him.

Based on the photos, I have no idea which is which. Perhaps the violent attacker is moved by the subtle pastel colors in the dog's sweater, and may consider her owner a threat. Perhaps he is afraid of Asian girls in short shorts with mirrored glasses, so he will move on to the next unsuspecting victim in regular sunglasses and muted earth tones.

One can only guess and surmise, whilst the villain plots his next move.

If there's something obvious I'm missing, please let me know....

The top one doesn't do men, look at the hands.
Also looks like a semiautomatic under sweater rh side.

This is the unpleasant reality that very few seem to want to discuss or even acknowledge. Notice how 99% of the answers in this thread are all related to gear and mechanical (shooting) skills.

As far as I can tell I'm pretty much the only one to address the real issue head on: the willingness to kill to survive. While we shoot (or stab) to stop a threat and not to kill per se, the reality is that a gun or a knife is a deadly weapon and using one or both on another human means we are likely to kill them.

If a person can't accept that cold reality then stop right there because no amount of training or weaponry will do any good.

Hi,

She needs to know if someone has been in her house since she left. She needs to know how/what you left the house like. Both of you should make a habit to vacuum all rugs in your house before you leave so that if either of you get home and see footprints on the bathroom or kitchen rug then you know someone has been and/or is in your house so you need to get out. Someone could be hiding in your house waiting on her to get in shower, etc etc.

The list goes on and on,

Sincerely,
Theis

A guy on another board leaves a 10 dollar bill on the kitchen counter because he enters the kitchen from his garage. If it's gone, somebody has been there.

My interest in the LCR9 is for CCW, mostly for the ladies of the household. By the end of next week we will be a cozy five in my little home. I intend to get one LCR9 and set up training for all of us at the local pit. Then, when I'm comfortable with their firearms handling, shoot/don't shoot, and accuracy, I'll start bringing them into the home.

My In-House/Open Carry is the Ruger American Pistol 9 Pro, which was designed to enter competition for the USGI M9 replacement. I love the gun, and have it set up for in home, in dark HD. I have considerable outdoor lighting around the home, and a lot of glass for it to get inside, the RAP has a Crimson Trace green laser. I'm also thinking about getting another, only that one with the external safety (not the 'Pro'). I want to put a Reflex Sight on that one and use it to play at the Club's Combat Matches. I'm getting a tad rickety, but maybe this will help me get past that.

Greg

Please, do not open carry. It is not a deterrent. Without proper retention, training, and situational awareness, she’s asking to have it taken away from her.

Please, do not recommend she off-body carry. Purses are hard to retain and are often the target of muggers. You will have then armed the bad guy.

Hybrid and leather holsters should be avoided. Retention is bad, they do not retain shape, and can create dangerous reholstering situations.

Get trained! Both with the firearm and without! Get a quality kydex IWB holster with wedges/claws for comfort and enhanced concealment.

The pistol make isn’t important so long as it’s a reliable pistol from a reputable maker. She needs to physically be able to manipulate the slide and controls. My spouse perfers the M&P Shield. We purchased one for each of us based on that fact.

Oh, and I forgot to add, MINDSET is the most important part of this discussion. I recommend reading “Violence of Mind” by Varg Freeborn.

She has to understand if she is going to be trained, carry, and take this seriously she has to understand what criminals are willing to do and that she may need to kill to survive.

Clarifying, I only open carry when I'm involved at a shooting facility.

There are occasions when I am one of the only two at teh range,and on really rare and brief occasions I'm actually alone. I'm going to go Constitutional Carry, as we call it here in AZ, only when the risks are escalated and I have several thousands of dollars worth of shooting gear under an open sky.

Our range is within a long rifle shot of Mexico, and known smuggling routes pass not too far behind our far berm.

Compensating for this, the range has a reserved series of lanes behind a parallel berm that are restricted to LE, Prisons, ICE and CBP personnel for training. The tactical distance shooters train on our common 300m/yd range alongside us every other week; great folks whom we leave to their own purposes.

Greg

Hybrid and leather holsters should be avoided. Retention is bad, they do not retain shape, and can create dangerous reholstering situations.

You might want to clarify that by adding the modifiers Cheap and soft/flexible
I have some hybrid and leather holsters that probably can take more punishment than most kydex ones. It's all in the construction and materials used. Thick hardened leather is very sturdy.

This one checks a lot of boxes, and just one more example of Poor Decision, Negative Outcome.

Serious Mistakes that gun owners make are things like:
Shooting someone you shouldn’t have, either intentionally or unintentionally
Using lethal force to protect personal property
Intervention
Police Involvement – e.g., getting needlessly arrested
Poor judgement
Unjustifiable shootings
https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/g...in-back-charged-with-attempted-murder/746665/

Last edited:
Sig Sauer P365, with 12rd magazines. No need to worry about "Safe Action Trigger" on Glocks. Carried G21's and G30's for years. NEVER liked the Glock system. Today, I carry two P938 Emperor Scorpions, but some don't like, or are confident of going "locked and cocked," like 1911. So, go with the new P365- dirt simple, accurate, great trigger, and yes, I too only carry 147gr HST, standard loads. Ideal for any length 9mm- full sized, to micro pistols. When your life, or that of a loved one is on the line, Sig Sauer. Get her a purse that is from a reputable vendor, like Bianchi, or other, for ease of carriage... At least two extra magazines, preferably five, but whatever she can comfortably carry... Practice ammo should also be 147gr, with same POA/POI... Do the same for yourself, so that ammo and mags are common. Spend SERIOUS time at the range. Work on house/apartment clearing drills, and remember, what others don't know, can't hurt you... Good Luck, and God Bless...

5 extra mags!? If you get through 1 and the threat continues the best answer is likely run. Even if you miss every round with the first your asking for it from the law if you get through 2. To each their own, stay safe.

I had a Texas chl, now I reside in Alaska. You can open carry up here, no licence needed but the only time my edc is not covered is in thick brush were I’m more worried about grizzly bear ambush than people. Lot of people on here suggesting revolvers but no one mentioned in Texas when taking your chl if you take course with revolver your only licensed for revolver. Get a semi auto for course then get her a revolver for after if she prefers it. As many have already said situational awareness is important. Castle law makes it legal to carry in your vehicle.. read up on it.