• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns A woman was murdered in her apt close to where we live. We currently don't own any EDC equipment and would like advice -concerned about wife's safety

A little over 400 rounds with zero issues, this P365 is now my EDC. Shown here with the 12 round mag.
20181109_113347-1.jpg

Next to and atop a G26 for size comparison.
20181109_123117-1-1.jpg

20181109_123033-1.jpg

20181109_123053-1.jpg

I had a Texas chl, now I reside in Alaska. You can open carry up here, no licence needed but the only time my edc is not covered is in thick brush were I’m more worried about grizzly bear ambush than people. Lot of people on here suggesting revolvers but no one mentioned in Texas when taking your chl if you take course with revolver your only licensed for revolver. Get a semi auto for course then get her a revolver for after if she prefers it. As many have already said situational awareness is important. Castle law makes it legal to carry in your vehicle.. read up on it.

That is no longer true. Last year they did away with that. You can now take the test with either a revolver or semi and carry either. They also lowered the minimum caliber so that you can qualify with 22lr on up.

On handgun choice, I would take her to a gun shop that has a shooting range with rentals. Let her find what fits/feels best.

Yeah, every indoor range I've seen has some sort of rental system, and honestly you don't know which gun you're going to have an inclination towards. Some people can't stand glocks for example. For others (including myself) no pistol seems to have as comfortable / natural of a grip profile.

Get an HK P7M13, Its the best gun for EDC in my opinion. its everything you would ever need in an EDC. practice your shooting. you might also want to look into ankle carrying.

Get an HK P7M13, Its the best gun for EDC in my opinion. its everything you would ever need in an EDC. practice your shooting. you might also want to look into ankle carrying.

I don't think that gun is something you'll be comfortable ankle carrying unless you are really sturdy.

Also the cost for those is rather high these days, you could probably get about 5 other pistols for the price of that one.

I'd suggest any smaller single stack 9mm. I'm a big guy and I still prefer carrying a Shield over a Glock 26. A few mm's less thickness makes a big difference.

Second that, or a S&W Shield (non- safety switch model). I too carry the 147s in the smaller 9s .

The gun is only part of the equation. She needs to be able to draw her weapon and fire at damn near point blank or with an attacker on top of her. Training at 25 yards on a warm sunny day is not going to cut it . My students empty a full weapon, from retention into a target that they are touching, on the first day. Most ask if they can do it again.......

Mindset
Situational awareness (avoidance, takes priority)
Access & Deployment of weapon under stress
Violence of action

This is it. I read a lot of questions on what gun should I get for my SO to carry, You can carry a 155 howitzer but if you are unwilling or unable to carry out the act of ending a perps life why carry at all ? Hopefully that is not the case and your wife is fully capable of defending herself. With that said when she get said hand gun get her trained and have her shoot as often as possible and not just nice range days get her running and in natural shooting positions and such. it wont be an easy target and it will most likely be close and fast.
Good luck and I hope and pray noting happens to any of my hide family.

Welcome to the 3%. 96% of most human groups live life as sheep, quietly oblivious of any danger in the world until it jumps up and bites them. When it happens they react and panic and run or fight and usually fail. 1% of most large groups of humans are predators of one kind or another and are a threat to those nearby. 3% are aware that evil exists and while face to face encounters with it may be relatively rare, they can and do occur. Now that you are aware of this the next steps are what do I do?

1. Situational awareness is the big every day task and the #1 way to make yourself safer. Don't blindly walk thru the parking lot texting your girlfriend. Get off the phone and look around. Don't sit at a traffic light with the window down while you fu#k with the radio. Constantly scan your surroundings. Don't be surprised when you spot shady characters. Stay out of bad neighborhoods. If you are not sure, get out. As soon as you get to your car, get in and lock the doors 1st, then mess with your purse, lipstick, phone, seatbelt, etc. Do a 360 scan every few seconds as you walk thru open spaces.
2. Avoidance. If you spot a threat - avoid it. Take another path, go the other way. Walk away if you can. Run if you must. Any fight that is avoided is a win.
3. Assess your surroundings in advance. At home, at work, the grocery, other places you frequent. What are the threats? How can you prepare, avoid, mitigate them? Where can you limit them? i.e. Do the grocery shopping on Saturday morning when the gobblins are sleeping and it is daylight instead of after work in the dark. If walking the dog after dark is dangerous... Get a bigger dog or a cat. Eliminate as many threats as makes sense for your situation.
4. Have a plan. For each likely threat, ask, "What would I do if "X" happens to me? Train for as many situations as you can. Martial arts training or MMA style fighting techniques are a useful tool that you will Always have with you. The use of a blade or gun is another tool that may or may not fit your needs. I used to jog and ride bicycles for exercise and most holsters did not work with bike shorts. Home gym or fitness club might be a better option? It depends on your threat assessment. You cannot go thru life and eliminate all risk. So, you choose the right tools and techniques to manage them as best you can.
4. If a gun is necessary? I am not a fan of the Glock unless and only if you plan to carry it in a holster which covers the trigger guard. Loose in a pocket or glovebox or purse and its lack of a safety is a liability (IMO). A small single stack 9mm such as Ruger LC9 or S&W is one better choice. The striker fire model with the safety is best (IMO). If you do not need the safety (i.e. in holster carry) click it off. But with training it can be clicked off with no delay. I prefer the 1911 cocked n locked but only if it is in open holster carry. The rest of the time it is NOT the best choice. I ride MC's and found that I was not carrying my big full size H&K on the bike because it was too heavy and tugged at my jeans. So, I bought a LC9 just for that purpose. Small and light enough that at least I had it with me. Plus a knife and a blackbelt.

I am lucky that I live in a low crime community and really do not have many threats. That was a choice. I used to live in LA. Not anymore. Even so, I always am aware of what and who is around me and if I am not comfortable, the alarm bells in my head go off. I have not been attacked often. But you will be shocked how fast it can come from nowhere. Example: Wife and I parked in a larger city to go into a bookstore. Not a bad neighborhood. We were relaxed. Too relaxed. Just as I locked the car door with my pistol inside, I was cornered by a wirey man with a large brown paper bag (carrying what??) demanding money. I was pinned between two cars with a 10ft high wall to my rear. I stepped into a fighting stance and asked him to go away. My wife, (also a black belt) stepped from the other side in behind him. Not knowing if he had a knife or gun, we did not engage him but made it known that if he wanted trouble he came to the right place. When he realized that he was surrounded, his demeanor changed from threatening to conciliatory and he backed away which my wife allowed him to do. I unlocked the car and instructed her to retreat to the passenger side and retrieve the pistol. At that point the man retreated. He was long gone by the time she was close to the door. We decided to shop elsewhere. Moral: We were semi-prepared but tactically unaware. That was a BIG mistake and could have led to a bad day for us. We got lucky and escaped due to our training and confidence more than our good tactics.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I would add one last comment. There is no disgrace is walking or running away from a identified threat if possible. Because, no mater how prepared or well trained or equipped you may or may not be, if you engage in a physical confrontation with a predator enough times, sooner or later you will encounter one who is better, faster, more accurate, better armed or just luckier and that will be the end of the line. Plus you never know when that encounter may be. For many it will be their first and only armed fight. If you survive a few you learn just how fast and randomly people can die when the shooting starts and realize it is best to be avoided. Luck has a lot to do with survival when we are young and dumb, but as we get older, we should not keep depending on it to favor us. Many years ago, I was assaulted by three men in a pickup armed with a very large bowie knife. I was driving an old clapped out Ford Pinto that was missing on one cylinder and capable of only doing 60mph. We were in traffic on a divided 4-lane highway and they three in the pickup perceived that I had wronged them in my driving and in a fit of road rage attempted to run me off the road three or four times with their truck all while waving the bowie out the window. It was before the age of cell phones and I could not run away due to my wounded car's lack of capability. I was completely unarmed and unprepared but was able to dodge them and duck up a side road and quickly into a business where I knew a buddy worked and would aways have a pistol I ran inside and asked for his 9mm and as I stood in the open garage door with it, the truck with our three bullies drove up and stopped a few yards away. They started out of the truck but spotted the pistol and retreated never to be seen again. I never had to point it at them let alone shoot. However, it was another early life encounter that made a lasting impression. I knew that against three men in a truck I alone was very inadequate. Not long after that incident, another man was chased by an irate man into my cousin's place of business (not the one with the gun). The older man was armed with an M1 carbine and in a murderous rage proceeded to kill the man and five of the shop employees including my cousin and wound one more all of whom were unarmed and had no back way out to escape. After that event I bought my first pistol and have never been far from one since. I tuned up the Pinto also. I also trained hard and practiced until I could shoot as well in the dark as in the light. I was lucky since I had been totally not prepared. My cousin was not so lucky. My cars will go faster now too, lol. Last piece of advice: At home, at work, at school at the mall, etc. Always have a well thought out escape plan (or two) for what you should do when the shh!!t may hit the fan. Identified avenues of escape, possible tools for defense, Where to meet up if separated, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388