• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A4 Stock & Bolt Problem

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    I just got my A4 in the mail tonight and I removed the action and trigger assembly from my older H&S stock from a Rem 700PSS. I put the action in the new stock, and bolted the two bolts together and it fit great.

However, when I inserted the bolt, something was wrong. It went in easily enough and chambered my snap-cap, but the bolt handle doesn't go down as far as it used to. I thought there was an obsrtuction and checked to see if the bolt handle lined up in the groove on the new stock, and it does, the fit is perfect. But, THE BOLT WONT CLOSE ALL THE WAY.

The weird thing is though, that I can still fire it and the firing pin is releasing into the snap cap. What am I doing wrong? This is the first barrel/action I've ever removed from a stock into a new one, but heck, there were only 2 bolts to remove and replace!

Photos: (All show the bolt down as far as I can close it)
    870654.jpg

870653.jpg

870652.jpg

870651.jpg

Re: A4 Stock & Bolt Problem

Did you bed it? If not once it is bedded it will probably be fine. Action is probably just sitting in the stock a little deep because there is no bedding.

Did you tighten down the front screw first? That's the only thing my gunsmith makes sure I do first. Don't know why, but I always listen to him.

No, I haven't bedded it. I was told it was a drop in job.

you must bed the only stock that does not need bed is aics. the hs precision is close but i still bed them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shawn b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> looks like it is hitting one of the action screws. </div></div>

Ding ding!! We have a winner! Thanks man. Yes, the front action screw was too far in. I backed it off a couple turns and it works fine now, but, I'm afraid that its not tight enough. Should I buy a slightly shorter front action bolt?

Oh, and does anyone know the torque specs for these screws? I want to get them right before going to the range.

I wouldn't bother until you bed it, I am sure there are plenty of hide members in your area that would be willing to help you bed it. Pretty easy to do.

Ooh...definitely not tight now, the whole action wobbles in the stock at where I need to back this bolt off to. Guess I could trim it myself on a grinder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shawn b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> looks like it is hitting one of the action screws. </div></div>

Ding ding!! We have a winner! Thanks man. Yes, the front action screw was too far in. I backed it off a couple turns and it works fine now, but, I'm afraid that its not tight enough. Should I buy a slightly shorter front action bolt?

Oh, and does anyone know the torque specs for these screws? I want to get them right before going to the range. </div></div>

Yeah, the front action screw will go in and keep the lug from rotating fully into battery. Learned that when Cutting the bolts to length on on of my rifles...

Dremel off one thread at a time.
    You can shoot it as is, but to get the performance you paid for you need it bedded.
    I wouldn't go tighter than 40ish in/lbs if there are no pillars installed or the stock will compress.

There are a couple how to threads in the gunsmithing section on bedding with alot of pics.

you will cheat yourself if you do not bed the gun. do not grind bolt until you bed it 65lbs torc

O.K., thanks guys. I'll look into trying to figure it out myself, but if anyone reads this who does bedding jobs in the Denver, CO area, let me know.

sorry i agree with sobrbiker883 i meant 65lbs when you bed and put pillars in

there was a smith in colo springs i think it was high tech

I use a file to shorten the bolts, if needed.

A little slower, but it's easy to get ahead of yourself sometimes with the power tools.

Don't want to shorten it any more than necessary.

Better now, but hafta bed the sucker.
    870667.jpg

I use a hacksaw go between the threads and make dang sure you are cutting perpendicular to the bolt, then file to finish

Oh I'm not skeered...o.k., maybe a little! I simply don't have the time right now, or anywhere to really do this. Looks like it'd be around $100 to have this done around here. I actually had a guy I spotted for at a match back in August offer to do it for me now that I remember. Thanks again for all the help guys.