• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAC 300 Blackout which buffer?

jn_fsu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2011
South Texas
I'LL be running subsonic and supersonic ammo thru a 16" barreled upper. I'm looking at getting the Spikes buffer tube assembley for my lower build. It comes with Spike buffer tube, ST T2 buffer, spring, castle nut and end plate. I'm planning on swapping out the spring for one from Superior Shooting Systems.

Now my question is whats the best buffer to get for running both types of ammo?
I'm not sure wether I'm going to supress it in the future or not...

Re: AAC 300 Blackout which buffer?

It depends on the gas port size and location. The manufacturer of the upper should be able to tell you which buffer is best.

lets say pistol gas in a 16" and its being built not bought. will standard buffer configs work? that being rifle or carbine tube with standard appropriate buffers. i plan on building just the upper and my lower has a 5 position buffer tube with carbine buffer & spring. or is a heavier buffer required?

No heavy buffer spring needed. I would say start with a standard weight buffer spring and a milspec carbine buffer....no "H" anything. I have a Noveske 10 inch 300BLK barrel. To shoot 220gr. subsonic ammo, I have the lightest buffer I could find and then had to use a lightweight bolt carrier from Young Mfg. as well as run my Surefire suppressor on it. Then, maybe one or two rds out of thirty will not fully cycle in the gun.
The supersonic ammo does better.

I built mine with BCM parts and a Noveske 10", using a H, runs like a champ.

300_BLK.jpg

Check for gas block or carrier-key leaks.

AAC 9 inch uppers use H2 buffers. AAC 16 inch uppers are H or H2 buffers - either is fine. You should not need a lightened carrier or any non standard parts ever with 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

I have a spikes ST-T1 buffer on my Noveski 16" 300 blackout build. I have had no problems.

I spoke with Erik at Loki today. He says they run a standard mil-spec spring and carbine buffer on there builds with no problems. Works for both subsonic and supersonic ammo. So I'm going with what works per recommendation of the equipment provider.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">LMFAO </span>
laugh.gif

The guy who pretty much designed the cartridge and platform gives you the answer already, along with several members who run the system, and you post a comment like this. Whatever OVER! Catch a clue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-size: 14pt">LMFAO </span>
laugh.gif

The guy who pretty much designed the cartridge and platform gives you the answer already, along with several members who run the system, and you post a comment like this. Whatever OVER! Catch a clue. </div></div>

Exactly which clue are you reffering to???
Would it be when rsilvers was asked by another member if running an H buffer and carbine spring with his 16" AAC 300 Blackout set up ( parts from another company ) be correct. The response was for "AAC and Noveske" that would be fine but it depends on the gas port size used by the manufacturer.
Or when rsilvers suggested TO ME that I contact the manufacturer? Which I did!
My plan is to test function with out over compensating by adding stronger springs or heavier buffers before the rifle is even fired. Start with the recommended platform, test it, evaluate it, THEN move on to heavier buffers or springs depending on how the rifle performs. This is not the first time this was talked about in one of my posts.
Yes rsilvers has been a great help but he is also giving information based on his experience with AAC and Noveske which he has stated before. He understands there are variables with other manufactures and would not want to lead a person a stray by suggesting that what works with his company or ones hes formiliar with will work for all companies! I'm also looking into other combinations which others on here have suggested and have experience with. But I'm starting with the manufacturers standard set up that works with THERE product. Like I said I can tweak it later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke with Erik at Loki today. He says they run a standard mil-spec spring and carbine buffer on there builds with no problems. Works for both subsonic and supersonic ammo. So I'm going with what works per recommendation of the equipment provider. </div></div>

Yup, swap the upper and go.

Hi, I am new to the 300blackout, and although I have several AR platforms in 5.56, I am building my first one. I chose to build an AR pistol in 300blk, and I'm using the following components: (BTW, I will be running this Unsuppressed)

Mega Arms matched upper/lower (billet)

Noveske 10.2” (pistol length gas tube) https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2399

Battle Comp BABC muzzle break https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2211

BCM M16 (auto) BCG BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

Phase5 Tactical carbine-length pistol buffer tube Phase 5 // AR-15 Pistol Buffer Tube

I would like to be able to run both sub and supersonic, but I realize that may be a stretch! When I was researching the barrel, Noveske recommended using an H buffer, BUT, they didn’t even know what BCG or muzzle break I would be using (I imagine using the auto BCG adds a little weight and would influence the choice of buffer?)

My question is related to the above topic: I have researched this to death, and came out with the conclusion that the Noveske 10.2" barrel SHOULD do ok with supersonic ammo/unsuppressed. My confusion is with what buffer to use. Based on Clint's (heavybuffers.com) recommendations, I ordered a HSS 6.5oz buffer and Wolffe spring. With the Noveske's .075 gas hole, am I running on the edge of being under-gassed? And if so, would running a heavier buffer such as the HSS make matters even worse?

My plan was to test it with the HSS first, and see if I have problems. If I do, swapping a standard carbine buffer from my BM or Colt, and seeing if that helps. That should give me the "range" of weights between "go" and "no-go"?

As stated before, I would PREFER to have the option of running both subs and supers, but I know this may not be feasible.

Any suggestions/tips/advice?

thank you