• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 7.62SD (PING!!!!!!!)

rifleman1981

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
nw oklahoma
I have an AAC 7.62sd, and every time I fire it I get a very distinct pinging sound signature. Any one else notice this???

Re: AAC 7.62SD (PING!!!!!!!)

Two of my friends have this setup. One has the blackout flash suppressor and the other has the muzzle break. The FS does give a noticeable pinging report where the break doesn't. There's also a .223 comparison on Utube where you can hear it too.

I'm not sure it's normal, but I've heard it before.

i have a AAC scar H , on a custom gun
and it pings

i called them about it , spoke to Mike Mers

and he said that it was too clean and once it got dirty and broke in , it would no longer do that

who knows

and on silencertalk.com there is a video of a fellow , who also has the SCAR and it pings as well

Maybe it has something to do with it looking like a damn tuning fork...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a AAC scar H , on a custom gun
and it pings

and he said that it was too clean and once it got dirty and broke in , it would no longer do that

who knows

and on silencertalk.com there is a video of a fellow , who also has the SCAR and it pings as well

</div></div>

I just wonder how "dirty' it has to be, I have never cleaned it in 1300 suppresed rounds.
It looks like it's dipped in shit and still pings.
Got a little better thou.

The brake mount was just installed so It will be a non-issue now.

Works good as a flash hider, but not good enough to put up with the ping. Put a break on and be done with it.

The Vortex & B&E style flash hiders are essentially tuning forks. If you want teh best flash hider ever made, you get the ping.

I have noticed that the ping seems to go away after awhile on some of the rifles. On others it hasn't.

its a very common problem with the flash hider mounts, it seems that almost all do it, no fixing it, just get the brake mount and it wont do it anymore.

Over time, I have learned to just tune it out. (no pun intended)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a AAC scar H , on a custom gun
and it pings

who knows

</div></div>

I just wonder how "dirty' it has to be, I have never cleaned it in 1300 suppresed rounds.
It looks like it's dipped in shit and still pings.
Got a little better thou.

The brake mount was just installed so It will be a non-issue now. </div></div>

+1 - I have the Blackout...never clean it but still rings clear as a bell!

In the 60s Colt/Armalite came forward with the duckbill flash supressor. Look familiar?

db.jpg

It became clear in about 10 minutes that it grabbed everything it passed through and quickly was set aside as a great flash hider, but a poor way to go in other respects. Forty years ago, the solution was, at first to mill a ring around the front prongs and press fit on a steel ring. That sealed off the prongs and ended the complaint. The birdcage flash hider quickly followed when it became clear that flash suppression was acceptable without open prongs. There is no compensation with duckbills at all.

flashhider.jpg

Then in the 2000s we find three prongs again. Without a suppressor they still grab whatever your passs through, though less so in a desert. They still provide excellent flash suppression. With the suppressor on they do what any fork will do...they ring.

fhaac-600x404-1.jpg

Bridge the ends and the ringing is over, provide an internal ring within the can's ID to compress the prongs and the ring is over as well.....or get the other style and be done.

Need the best flash suppression? Use a suppressor. One can only imagine what would be needed to fill up the space between the prongs and the tube to the point were the ring would reliably stop.

IMG_4193201-2820Stick-1.jpg

I thought I had a transition duckbill around here (pressed ring) if I find it, I'll post it. It would be a simple fix if the dimensions worked within the suppressor.

I got the Blackout 51T for my M4 2K and just pinned it to my 14.5 without shooting it. That thing hits a nice A flat every time I shoot or charge the handle. Its annoying as hell, but welded on, O'well, live and learn. I will be geting the break for my SBR

I run the 5.56 blackout 51T miter, at first I could barely stand the ringing but I have to say, 5,000 rnds later I don't think I hear it at all, maybe I just got used to it.... I guess I need to go shoot and find out, good excuse.

Also, if you don't want to spend the money on the muzzle break, keep your eye out for an older (used) 18T birdcage model or the one on the left of the last picture posted by RollingThunder 51.

I've also heard of some people cutting the fork parts off of the flash hider. It obviously stops being a flash hider, but if you're always shooting suppressed, all you need is a mount.

Search www.riverofguns.com for "AAC" and you'll find a non-blackout 18T mount sooner or later.

Regards,
Nate

damn! Ive never heard one that bad.... mine didnt ring like that at all.
I switched over to their muzzle break right when I sent in my rifle to GAP. they put it on for me and it shoots great with or without the can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine rings, it's very noticeable.

Video:
</div></div>

WOW the camera sure does pick up the ping and drag it out doesnt it?

Its a design "flaw" of the best flash suppressor there is. Shoot a BlackOut at night and see how much flash there is. Shoot the muzzle break at night and see how much flash their is. Its a trade off, if you want no muzzle flash with the BO then you have the ping, you get rid of the ping then you have a larger muzzle flash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it has something to do with it looking like a damn tuning fork... </div></div>

nail on the head. any of the fh that are not closed ended will do this. it is normal and compared to the sound of the shot, it is nothing.

all of my AAC flash hider mounts have a significant ping.

I have one and don't hear the ping. Tone deaf I guess. But it's better than the ringing of full power .308 blast to your ears.

that ping would piss me right off, try tack welding the inside of your prongs together, that should slow down your vibration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine rings, it's very noticeable.

Video:
</div></div>

HOLY CRAP!

yeah i'd be flat out pissed and demand a refund or replacement. it wouldnt be hard to offer two different muzzle mounts. for a company that says they are the best of the best, that surprises me. thankfully my YHM Phantom QD doesnt do that nonsense.

You people do realize that the camera mike picks up and amplifies the ring? It's not anywhere NEAR that loud in person, and not even noticeable most of the time. And about the 3rd time one goes out shooting, it goes unnoticed completely! If the other mall ninja's pick up on your position because of the ringing of your flash-hider, then I guarantee that they are close enough to have heard the mouse in your pocket fart.

srv656s, would you be sure and record your (about 3rd time @ the range so we can verify the tuning fork pitch sound is completely unnoticed), its not anyone picking up on my location i'm worried about... after about 50rds of that i would be on the verge of pulling my hair out, i will make sure i get the break when i decide to drop a G for one of them there cans.

My aac 7.62 sd mount pinged when I first installed it. Continued pinging for about 700 rounds and then quit. I kind of liked the ping, thought it was cool.

Actually, come to think of it. It stopped pinging right around the time when I swithced from a Mcmillan stock to a AICS stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow...interesting phenomena.....

Wonder is AAc is aware and if they are doing anything to resolve it? </div></div>

AAC is COMPLETELY aware of it. There is nothing that they can do to resolve it, there is nothing to resolve really. It is something that happens due to the design of the BlackOut flash hider. Change the BlackOut to one of the phantom styles and it goes away, change to a brake and it goes away.

But change from the BlackOut and your flash suppression will suffer when not suing the can. Look at the NSN numbers and what kind of mount they are ..... I do be lieve that they are a BlackOut mount. That being said, what happens to everyones addadge of "if its good enough for the millitary its what I want".

Its a fact of life the BlackOut mounts ping, plain and simple.

Seems like ASC would just connect the prongs on the flash hider, kinda like RollingThunder was talking about.

While I don't think the ping is that big of a deal (to me it wouldn't be), I think it does make the can appear a little hokey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like ASC would just connect the prongs on the flash hider, kinda like RollingThunder was talking about.

While I don't think the ping is that big of a deal (to me it wouldn't be), I think it does make the can appear a little hokey. </div></div>

Like I said the NSN number for the millitary is for a BlackOut mount .... I dont think they are too concerned about the ping since they have a contract for them.

Its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

And if you connect the ends of the flash hider then you reduce the capabilities of reducing the flash at night when you arent using the feature for the mount ... quick attach ....

Mine doesn't ping at all on my AR15, never has.

Last week at the Practical Marksman match, a guy in my group had one on his .308. It rang loud enough to make you turn and look, but wasn't that big of a deal.

The fact that the "mount" pings, doesn't make the can hokey. It does make the FH hokey though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact that the "mount" pings, doesn't make the can hokey. It does make the FH hokey though. </div></div>

I agree. the mount is the weak point of the system. The AAC muzzle break is a lot better. it also takes some of the wear off the blast baffle of the can. The 762SD is an awesome can, not "hokey" at all.

Welcome to the infamous tuning fork AAC chime.

You get used too it after a few hundred rounds, guys get annoyed by it next too me on the firing line, but the chicsk.. whoa... they really dig it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: decodeddiesel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine rings, it's very noticeable.

Video:
</div></div>

HOLY CRAP! </div></div>

yep ! If someone dosn't think thats a ring...get your ears checked!
Or spend 200 bucks on another one, so you can make music with the pair.

VERY distinct ping in this video

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlpmKJDaYek"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlpmKJDaYek" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have a AAC 7.62sd with the 51 tooth muzzle brake mount and mine does not ping at all. So the ping noise is just cause by the mount?

I know I came in late on this thread.....
The pinging is nothing new and comes from the tuning fork design of the AAC flash hiders. The effect is minimized when you use the Brake-Out (half brake and half flash hider) and is nonexistent when you use the AAC brake only.

This is a well-known phenomena and can be found thoroughly discussed on Silencertalk forums. IIRC AAC is not concerned with it because it is nowhere near as loud as the actual discharge. Videos usually make it sound more noticeable than in real life because it is higher frequency and not above the max decibel level (unlike the actual discharge).

I have 2 types of AAC flash hiders and both have reduced ringing when the can is on. I consider it simply the price you pay for the great flash hider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a AAC 7.62sd with the <span style="color: #990000">51 tooth muzzle brake</span> mount and mine does not ping at all. So the ping noise is just cause by the mount? </div></div>

The brake is not the flash hider...... the brake is all one piece. The flash hider is 3 pieces thus causing the ping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benbangui</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VERY distinct ping in this video

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlpmKJDaYek"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlpmKJDaYek" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I can barely hear the ping in this video... cant stop focusing on the epic hair. Very reminiscent of an SF soldier... hahaha