• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAC-SD review with range report

Nebraska123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
Grand Island, FL
Hey Guys,

Wanted to give a review of my aac-sd project. I picked up the gun from buds gun shop about a month ago. Great looking gun really and threading was perfect. My trigger came preset from the factory at 4.5lb which isn't the best.

spempw.jpg

First, I upgraded the stock to a Bell and Carlson M40 with black/grey webbing. Next, I contacted Ross and had him send a brake. I picked up the 10x SS HD with badger rings and larue 20 moa base. I sent the bolt off to Chad this morning to get the high helix flute job and a knob installed.

4t0knp.jpg

2m81rgk.jpg

I went to the range last night and shot 30 rounds. This baby is a shooter!! My first shot was 6 inches off the sight in target then two adjustments and I was in the money! I then cleaned it and shot the same spot 3 more times, cleaned again and shot a forth for a five shot group looking like this. (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th shots out of the gun. This group was shot with 175 black hills ammo and I shot federal gold metal match 168's as well with maybe better accuracy. I then used holdovers and seen bullets ripping into 6" diameter trees at 400-500 yards.

ekmjaq.jpg

Next on the list...Dies, CDI DBM, Cerokote in tactical grey or other color to maybe match the webbing on the stock.

Dan

Re: AAC-SD review with range report

Nice rifle
When you get a good one it really shows. Is that a b&c stock?
I like it.
good job

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curnow26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle
When you get a good one it really shows. Is that a b&c stock?
I like it.
good job</div></div>
Look under the first pitchur.

Looking to pick one of these up soon. Thanks for the review!

I can't wait to get the bolt back and do some more shooting. I am still a rookie when it comes to long range stuff and this is more or less a starter rifle I guess.
Practice practice practice

Thanks for the review.

I would love to see some pics with the FGMM 168, as I have 340rnds, waiting for my glass.

But depending on how long it takes for the glass to arrive, I will hopefully be able to get an AIC 2.0, to replace the factory stock. I probably went about a beginner build the wrong way, but went for a NF right off the bat. I figured I could do a Leupold and an AIC, or a NF and get the AIC a bit later...

I was also thinking that if I do a sturdy sandbag or rest near the mag/front mounting screw, I may be able to avoid the stock flexing issue.

Also, anyone interested in an AAC-SD, I saw one in the sportsmans Den, in shelby Ohio this satuday morning. It was on the rack behind the ruger mark 3 counter. Here is a link, which lists them as out, but it said the same thing as I was looking at one, so guess it is not updated very often.

Sportsmans Den

Thanks for the review. Waiting for my glass to arrive so I can try out my AAC-SD.

I have a target laying on my table of a group shot with 168 FGMM. It was only a three shot group and honestly it looks simialr to the target on this thread. Maybe a .5 inch group. I am going to print off some pratical tactical targets and do some more work this week or weekend. I will try and post some more "target pics" of that.

So this Rifle is under 700 bucks new? Thats cheaper than the Mil-spec! Pretty good deal. I had a Mil-spec and it was super accurate 5shot under .5 all day with 175s.

They are cheaper because they have a flimsy stock. I replaced mine as well with a B&C. Hopefully can afford an A5 style before long and can upgrade again.

Nice rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBJamie99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the review.

I would love to see some pics with the FGMM 168, as I have 340rnds, waiting for my glass.

But depending on how long it takes for the glass to arrive, I will hopefully be able to get an AIC 2.0, to replace the factory stock. I probably went about a beginner build the wrong way, but went for a NF right off the bat. I figured I could do a Leupold and an AIC, or a NF and get the AIC a bit later...

I was also thinking that if I do a sturdy sandbag or rest near the mag/front mounting screw, I may be able to avoid the stock flexing issue.

Also, anyone interested in an AAC-SD, I saw one in the sportsmans Den, in shelby Ohio this satuday morning. It was on the rack behind the ruger mark 3 counter. Here is a link, which lists them as out, but it said the same thing as I was looking at one, so guess it is not updated very often.

Sportsmans Den </div></div>

No, you did not go about it the wrong way.
Excellent glass with a mediocre stock is better than an excellent stock with mediocre glass.

You could always go with a B&C M40 stock as a fill in.
Much better than the hogue and you would be able to resell it with minimal loss when you get your AICS.

I would concur with the OP that the latest batch of AAC-SD's are shooters - I only have 10 rounds through mine so far - got to the range late to sight in and ran out of time. Shot a 1" group at 100 with shots 6-10 after quick bore sight and a few clicks, and I'm sure the gun could do better than me. That's with a box stock rifle - no upgrades. Just slapped a scope on it and shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I then used holdovers and seen bullets ripping into 6" diameter trees at 400-500 yards.

Dan </div></div>

What did those trees ever do to you?
grin.gif

I wish you would have done your review before replacing the original stock. I know if flexes like a wet noodle...but I would have liked to see what the factory package can do.

The AAC-SD's have been getting great reviews. Glad to see yours is no different. Now get busy... you still need to put a can on it.
grin.gif

I still 'gotta put glass and a DBM on mine.

SDC111732.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So this Rifle is under 700 bucks new? </div></div>

Got mine for $595 shipped from Buds.

Thanks fdkay, always good to hear I made a wise choice. I have given a lot of consideration into picking up an low prices used stock, HS or BC, just to bridge the gap to the AIC. But find I need to educate myself on the different inletting terms, because every one listed seems to have different specs. Either way, still have to save up a bit more cash.

Nice Stick Dragracer, what sort of glass you going for? Nice can as well, who made it? I have an SWR Omega 300 waiting on the shelf, scary it is 2 years old, without one round through it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBJamie99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice Stick Dragracer, what sort of glass you going for? Nice can as well, who made it? I have an SWR Omega 300 waiting on the shelf, scary it is 2 years old, without one round through it...
</div></div>

Thanks!

I'm still drinking the Leupold Kool-Aid...
grin.gif

It'll be getting a 4.5-14x50 on it. Haven't decided if it will be another VX3 or if I'll pony up the extra $$$ for the MK4.

The can is an old TripleX by Mike Klos. It's papered as a .223 can, but had plenty of room to send .308's through it... so I cut the bigger 5/8-24 threads into it.
Can't wait to shoot this baby.
laugh.gif

If you are or have a friend that is Leo or mil, and owes you a b-day present), I would look into promotive.com. you will get a heck of a Leopold discount, could help that jump to mk4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EngineeringTheShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you say you picked that muzzle brake up at, I just bought this rifle and am looking for one. </div></div>

Try this link:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1302004#Post1302004

Ross charges $45 and has one of the best muzzlebrakes on the market. Best of all, he is an excellent business man and supports the Hide! He will honestly get your brake off to you SAMEDAY! Specs on my brake include: 1" diameter tapered to .860 cause thats what my mic read. Tell him the caliber and threading, 5/8x24 and thats all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC-SD's have been getting great reviews. Glad to see yours is no different. Now get busy... you still need to put a can on it.
grin.gif

I still 'gotta put glass and a DBM on mine.

SDC111732.jpg
</div></div>

VERY NICE!!!!! Someday man, hopefully sooner than I think cause I cant really stop spending money right now and this site is more than enough to make me pull the trigger!!