• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AADMOUNT flip caps review (ATACR)

sulcop96

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2011
State of confusion
I decided to do this review in its own thread because it will be pic heavy and the AADMOUNT flip cap thread is getting long. This will be directed for the most part at the ATACR but I also have a set of SS 5-20's and I would say this review would cover all the AADMOUNT offerings. Now this review is going to directly compare the AADMOUNT covers with the B&C the new tactical B&C and the Tenebraex covers. I have not included the NightForce bikini covers because they are not a direct competition for the flip covers and some prefer them over the flips. I used the bikini covers for years; however, I just don't like them. Having to tie them off on my scope and fiddle to put them back on is a PIA. Especially when I am moving a lot in the field. The flips are just much better for my application. It it was just a range gun then no issue and the bikinis are fine.

Now onto the review. I am not sure how to add photos as the review goes along so the photos are attached at the bottom and in sequential order with the text.

SO why not just use B&C's? After all they are cheaper. Because in the photo below there are a multitude of broken B&C's. This is just for the last six months, and does not include three eyepiece caps that got tossed in the field. Now I have gone through three eye piece and two objectives in six months, so that is $40 and lets say $10 for shipping so $50 in blown flip caps or about the cost of a objective for a set of AADMOUNT's and the AADMOUNT's have a life time warranty.

After the last eyepiece broke I ordered one of the new B&C tactical caps. It is more sturdy but a much softer plastic and I had a new set of issues. First the plastic does not like to stay closed all the time and pops open on its own. Next is that it does not flip and retract out of the way. When you rotate the power ring the ocular end rotates too, NightForce scopes 101 I know, but the B&C stays in the way. Not a huge hassle but not perfect. Photo two shows the tactical and how it folds. This was actually how it was when I took it out of the case, it just popped open as it tends to do.

Now I also ordered a set of the Tenebraex covers for the ATACR. The objective came in.... still waiting on the ocular. The objective requires the adapter and goes for $27 and then cover goes for $25 so add shipping and it comes out more then the AADMOUNT. The ocular is $38 so a tick cheaper then the AADMOUNT but as I said I am still waiting for it to come out. Now the Tenebraex seemed like a good solid solution, except it also has a set of inherent problems. The darn thing does not flip all the way back. It sits high and presents a big black circle that says "here I am" as well as snagging on anything in the area. Again, not an issue for some but for $55 I want something that flips out of the way. See photo three.

So we covered the competition lets look at the AADMOUNT's. First they are STRONG! I am not sure what they are made of but I think it came from the planet Krypton. The springs are very solid and the hinge area is reinforced. The units seal tight and stay closed but at the same time you don't need to be a power lifting champion to flip them open. A nice push with the finger and flip! Open! See photo four for the hinge area. Something else that was well though out was the audible "click" that comes from Kryptonian plastic hitting together. Well Jon sends a little patch of some furry non-animal substance to attach to the cover. This way when it flips open there is no sound. See photo five.

Now the ocular cap also flips all the way back and out of the way. You can rotate the power ring through its full range and nothing gets in the way. And the hinge release works perfectly. For testing I opened and closed both covers 100 times to test durability. Yes, 100 times each, not including another 20-25 times just playing with the new toy. On my last set of B&C's the ocular broke in about 25 snap opens and the objective in about 75 or so. I notice on my B&C's the objective holds up much better but over time one side will snap, usually on colder days. I have no such worries with the AADMOUNT caps.

Attachments

• 20140122_101155_resized.jpg
    20140122_101155_resized.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20140122_101412_resized.jpg
    20140122_101412_resized.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20140122_101340_resized.jpg
    20140122_101340_resized.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20140122_102508_resized.jpg
    20140122_102508_resized.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20140122_102253_resized.jpg
    20140122_102253_resized.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 82
Hit post by accident so review cont:

Now the AADMONT caps secure tightly and flipe all the way open, see next two photos. They also secure quite well. Due to the blizzard where I am at today it will be a few days before I can get to the range, but I have over 200 rounds through the SS 5-20 and the caps never moved. That was another problem I had with the B&C, sometimes the caps were not tight and they would go flying off at the range. I was sure I ordered the right size, just seems the fit was off.

Now I don't want this to sound like a total bash on B&C, I used them for years and had no issues with them... until recently. Now I go through them faster then I go through socks. I know others feel the same way, just look up some of the posts the last year. I spent a few months looking for a better solution and now there is one. Are the AADMOUNT caps for everyone? No, I am sure many can get away with a bikini cover, scope coat or even the B&C's, but for those of you out there looking for a better alternative here it is. I think the AADMOUNT caps are an excellent deal given they will outlast most scopes and have that life time warranty. If your investing 2K on a scope then what is $90 on a set of covers?

Another positive is painting them. The harder plastic, or whatever the substance is, will take paint easy and last a very long time. No scrape off like the B&C's. I am getting mine painted by ShortBus so I will post some painted photos to show the durability.

In closing, I am overjoyed that we, the shooing community, now have a solid product. Thanks Jon for taking the initiative and having the skills to come up with a winner.

Attachments

• 20140122_101915_resized.jpg
    20140122_101915_resized.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20140122_101826_resized.jpg
    20140122_101826_resized.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 56
With a few sets in hand, these are awesome! Fit and finish are fantastic, and durability should be no problem.

Butler who?

Excellent write-up and review! A little off topic, but butler creek does offer warranty on their caps. Phone them up and demand that they mail you out replacements. This doesn't discount the fact that the caps are now fragile, but if the company starts replacing the product things may change.

I have a collection of broken B&Cs and I should send them back but now that I have something
that will outlast the rifle I'm good without going through the hassle. But thanks
for the info. Didn't know they did that.

Sully

I have a set of AADMOUNT flip caps on my NF 2.5-10x42.
They are outstanding. Pricey, yes, but definitely worth it.
I was sick and tired of sub-par cheap flip caps on my previous scopes, and figured if I am getting a quality optic, it only makes sense to get quality flip caps to go with it.
I highly recommend them.
I've only used mine at the range, so no crazy abuse yet, but they fare much better than the Butler Creeks and Vortex flip caps I had before on my various scopes.

Great write up! Aadmount covers are the only ones I now use. Jon did a remarkable job designing these and making them for specific scopes, which is marked in bas-relief inside each cover. Very nice touch. Price is very reasonable and what's not to like about the warranty and CS!

I have two sets of Jon's caps now. Thats two scopes that I don't have to deal with breaking Butler Creek's. Never warmed up to Bikini covers. They are built and fit great and I'm happy with the purchase.