• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ? about barrel bunners

Re: ? about barrel bunners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes a round a barrel burner?

Is it <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">powder charge, projectile velocity</span></span>............ </div></div>

Both, plus length of bullet bearing surface.

Re: ? about barrel bunners

I don't have a lot of burned out barrels, but I started shooting a 243 so I will someday. Basically anytime you neck a cartridge down like 308win to 243 you will have the same amount of powder going down a smaller tube. This is overbore and with the reduced surface area the abrasion increases.

I have read several places on the net that increasing the shoulder angle and or increasing the neck length can reduce throat wear. Since the jet of hot burning powder is now hitting the inside of the case instead of the throat. That is one of the supposed benefits of AI versions of cartridges, the others being more powder capacity and less case stretching.