• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About to buy a Vouddo benchrest 22cal ?

archerykrazy-22cal

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2021
Vermont
This gun will be for 100 yd benchrest, single shot 22cal edge stock I need to know the best barrel lenght, barrel brand tuner or no tuner, I am new at this all the help I get will help thanks

This gun will be for 100 yd benchrest, single shot 22cal edge stock I need to know the best barrel lenght, barrel brand tuner or no tuner, I am new at this all the help I get will help thanks
If you plan to shoot ARA matches, then I would recommend a 24 inch Shilen barrel, Harrell's tuner.

RFS99

If you don't use lot tuned ammo, don't bother to play the game. I sent my 22" Vudoo in for testing and it didn't care for Midas +.
I had them try cheaper Center X and that worked well . There is a huge difference (.62") between lots of ammo even within the same type.
If / when you try a tuner I would test out the EZELL http://www.ezellcustomrifles.com/home-3/pdt-tuners/ I have no experience
with the Ezell and no connection with Mike but the reason for my suggestion is this: The Ezell and Harrel are nearly identical to look at
and both function in similar ways. They clamp to your barrel and a rotating mass can be moved toward you or away from you to alter harmonics.
At the Ezell web site you will be directed to a very fancy abstract about the PID / PDT technology that he has incorporated.
You likely wont understand the abstract past the third page but it will be impressive. I took it as pure sales BS and looked deeper.
After a fair amount of investigation about PDT and looking at his product prior to assembly and various emails of Mike refusing
to answer some direct question, he by accident gave me the one piece of information that leads me to believe that .......
His tuner has at least the minimum required to gain the advantage of any sort of PID / PDT technology. Both are about $160.00
I would not start with any tuner but I don't see that you have anything to loose trying the Ezell over all of the others.
There is a thin plate on the Ezell that covers 9 holes and if you took it off and dumped out the material, you would basically have a Harrel.
In the end most of your results will be because of you, both good and bad.

Last edited:
You can read about the Vudoo V-22S rifle, from its inception through its development, in the sticky forum here. As you spend time reading those 41 pages (at last count), you will find lots of rationale for, and experience with, different setups. I'm personally not a benchrest aficionado, but I do own and compete with the V-22 repeater and have a 2.5-year relationship with the people at Vudoo. You won't find a better outfit. As you can perceive from these initial responses to your query, you're about to go down a very deep rabbit hole.

After you decide on your rifle's configuration, you'll learn how many months it's going to take for it to be built and shipped to you. While it may be tempting to lay in as huge a stock of ammo as you can find during that time, it's best to heed the advice above and plan to send or hand-deliver your rifle to one of the Lapua test centers after breakin per the center's prerequisites.

I cannot speak to tuners in the benchrest discipline because I don't play in that game. I do have a tuner on two of my centerfire rifles. I played with a Harrell tuner on my CZ and Vudoo rimfires. It allowed the CZ to shoot as accurately as my Vudoo in the brief time I tinkered with it (but the CZ will never have the feel of the Vudoo). It didn't do anything for my Vudoo, in which I use lot-tested Center-X. I didn't get as deep in the weeds with it as a benchrest shooter would, because my competitions don't require that level of precision at specific ranges; also, because I didn't want to burn up a lot of my good ammo chasing tiny fractions of an inch of group size.

Good luck. Bring $$$!

Mine has a 24"Shilen barrel with the Flavio-Fair 90 degree trigger and a Harrell's tuner
Rift bolt, left port. As it came the trigger is set to around 1 ounce.