• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns About to purchase a Wilson 45 ACP

gone247

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2012
Utah
I own several 45 1911 config and others (Sigs); however the Wilson Tactical Supergrade Professional has been eating away at me.

Any thoughts on options I must/should have etc., before I put down the $$?

Re: About to purchase a Wilson 45 ACP

Supergrades have pretty much all the options.

I have a Wilson CQB compact that is probably 5-8 years old. Great pistol, zero issues. First 1911 that I have done nothing to. I would think the "standard" Wilsons would offer all the quality you could want, but up to you to determine what level of quality you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gone247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own several 45 1911 config and others (Sigs); however the Wilson Tactical Supergrade Professional has been eating away at me.

Any thoughts on options I must/should have etc., before I put down the $$? </div></div>

Taked to Wilson yeasterday to order some parts and they said they were over 3500 pistols backlogged. So, it may be a quite a wait.

I held a Wilson yesterday when I purchased my Nighthawk, it was sold getting ready to be shipped. The gun is very smooth, and absolutely nothing to complain about, pulling the slide back takes less effort than most semi auto 22's.

The higher end 1911s have a lot of things done on them, that you would end up having done if you bought a 800~1000$ 1911. You are also supporting true gunsmiths, here in the good ole USA, is it expensive? Sure, but like most things, you do get what you pay for. Lifetime, anyone who owns it, warranty.

Does a v6 mustang look the same as a GT? Sure. Does one do something the other doesn't? Not really, other than go quicker. However, there is nothing more fun than dumping the throttle and hearing a V8 whine. I'm not saying a Mustang GT is a top level car, not remotely, but the 2011+ GT comes pretty well set to rock and roll not needing many mods.

Ed Brown CNC's all of his components except the trigger, sights, and grips. Give this some serious thought before you commit $3k+ to a pistol.

I own a Wilson and Brown - and they are both different (and damn fine) pistols. If you have the opportunity, shoot both and decide which is better for you.

Oops my mistake, i didnt read it well, i ran a tactical supergrade... Still, quite a gun.

I just ordered a Les baer... wait is 4-6 months.

For me ed brown les baer and wilson are all in a similar category

I think wilson probably has the most custom features if you really wanna get particular with your gun.

All the above are actual custom houses though that focus on quality vs quantity.

take a smith from any of the above shops and they would probably be able to integrate smoothly into a competing shop.

For me it came down to the fact that I dont need anything "fancy"

I ordered a Concept VII for EDC. Les himself was kind enough to answer some of my questions and change the parts list for no charge. Also they will provide an unmarked slick slide for no extra charge.

My brother has owned several Les baers and I really find the extra few grand to get into a wilson is not worth it for what I need...

again... you have to weigh out what you want. I think the only other EDC that would appeal to me would be a cobra carry from Ed brown.

I say buy it. Its a Wilson period the end. When you pull that baby out everyone will ooh and aww. Its also totally reliable and accurate as hell. You only live once!

Great gun. You will really enjoy shooting it. Options are a matter of personal preference. Usually with the higher end guns, you get all the bells & whistles included. The most important option to me is an ambi safety since I'm left handed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gone247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own several 45 1911 config and others (Sigs); however the Wilson Tactical Supergrade Professional has been eating away at me.

Any thoughts on options I must/should have etc., before I put down the $$? </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gone247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own several 45 1911 config and others (Sigs); however the Wilson Tactical Supergrade Professional has been eating away at me.

Any thoughts on options I must/should have etc., before I put down the $$? </div></div>

I would say counter sunk crown (protects the bore and looks cool), contrasting tritium night sights, and an Alessi shoulder rig.

I would get the Wilson. My buddy has one and it’s a superbly crafted 1911 that shoots!

Wilson 1911 is as good as it gets - even a basic CQB. I bought my CQB Elite because I wanted an out of box 1911 every bit as good as a custom, and I don't have time to fiddle with it.
If you have the money and want every upgrade dollar will buy, the supergrade is fits the bill. It's a bragging gun great for barbecues and safes but won't shoot any different. Most owners of guns in this class don't want any "scratches" on it. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want.

If $5,000 for a Wilson does it for you - go for it. That said, is your $5M pistol a BBQ gun? A display piece? Or an EDC? At the end of the day you may have spent $5M on the Wilson but it will never be held in the same regard by collectors as a build from one of the top smiths over at Louderthanwords for the same money.

There is a definite point of diminishing return for 'off the rack' 1911s, and in my book this exceeds it by @ 3x.

Good luck

I agree that the only way I'd ever buy a pistol at that price if I got to meet the guy who built it.

A Baer or Wilson doesn't add any value for me that a TRP or similar wouldn't have already. A full custom from CC Gunworks would be a different story, because I've actually met the gunsmith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcast</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gone247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own several 45 1911 config and others (Sigs); however the Wilson Tactical Supergrade Professional has been eating away at me.

Any thoughts on options I must/should have etc., before I put down the $$? </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gone247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own several 45 1911 config and others (Sigs); however the Wilson Tactical Supergrade Professional has been eating away at me.

I would say counter sunk crown (protects the bore and looks cool), contrasting tritium night sights, and an Alessi shoulder rig. </div></div>

and a countersunk slide stop hole, those look freakin awesome!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a bragging gun great for barbecues and safes but won't shoot any different. Most owners of guns in this class don't want any "scratches" on it. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. </div></div>

Yeah, but man, what a waste! It's like a year old Z06 Corvette that you always see driving 5 miles BELOW the speed limit by a new retiree. You know that motor is screamin to be let loose like a raped ape!

Same applies to Wilsons that just sit in cases.....Man those things are BUILT for combat!! Shoot 'em, ding 'em, scratch 'em, give 'em some love! Nothin looks better than a custom blued 1911 with lots of holster wear!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There is a definite point of diminishing return for 'off the rack' 1911s, and in my book this exceeds it by @ 3x.

Good luck

</div></div>

True, if you're looking at $5,000, that might put you in the Stan Chen catagory, certainly Volkmann.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worth the wait. </div></div>

The wait time for a Tactical Supergrade is 12 months.....CQB's is only 4-6 months.....and there's only 2 or 3 people at Wilson that can put a hand on a Tactical Supergrade, supposedly that's why it takes so long.....

I've owned a lowly Wilson KZ-45 for the last 10yrs. This was introduced as their "bottom feeder " pistol . IF this is the cheapest they have ever produced per say , damn thing is super accurate and has never failed on me with all kinds of ammo being fed to it...
I can only dream to own one of the Top Tier Wilson's Customs

But I'm sure it would be worth the wait !

check out places like migunslingers or Alan Yoast, they might have what you're looking for in stock.

had a Wilson, nice gun, had a Nighthawk Predator, pain in the ass to break down, now own 2 Volkmann's, love em, will never sell or trade em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fRed650</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilson combat is good to go! </div></div>

55...impressive. I hope you enjoy your vacation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree that the only way I'd ever buy a pistol at that price if I got to meet the guy who built it.

A Baer or Wilson doesn't add any value for me that a TRP or similar wouldn't have already. A full custom from CC Gunworks would be a different story, because I've actually met the gunsmith. </div></div>

with all due respect a TRP if you are referring to the Springfield is a mass produced gun, not hand fit and not in the same category as the small custom shops in my opinion. It wont shoot as well either. It has more options in some ways and less in others.

Ive shot two TRP examples quite a bit and neither came close to any of the stated custom shop guns that can be had for not alot more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A Baer or Wilson doesn't add any value for me that a TRP or similar wouldn't have already. A full custom from CC Gunworks would be a different story, because I've actually met the gunsmith. </div></div>

with all due respect a TRP if you are referring to the Springfield is a mass produced gun.......Ive shot two TRP examples quite a bit and neither came close to any of the stated custom shop guns that can be had for not alot more. </div></div>

....+1. My buddies always gave me crap about the $$$ I've paid for two Wilson's I've got......until they shoot them. That is when they look at their "loaded" SA's and Kimber "tacticals" with more than a little remorse in their eyes.

As I get older, I now know why the old farts drive slow compared to when I was younger and wanted to open them up and see what they can do, same goes for any sports car, or high end firearm.

That retire earned it, probably paid off his house, kids college is done, and finally getting his/her toy that he could not afford when young. Sure, when you are young you are invincible, reflexes fast,want the world but broke. That person manned up and did the responsible thing and waited for his toy.

I have would say the same goes for high end firearms. If you can afford it, go for it, as you earned it. People that say get a TRP or a Kimber, its just not the same. Buy once cry once, and enjoy, no regrets. Sure you get diminishing returns, but at least you mind is at ease knowing you got what you wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a bragging gun great for barbecues and safes but won't shoot any different. Most owners of guns in this class don't want any "scratches" on it. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. </div></div>

Yeah, but man, what a waste! It's like a year old Z06 Corvette that you always see driving 5 miles BELOW the speed limit by a new retiree. You know that motor is screamin to be let loose like a raped ape!

Same applies to Wilsons that just sit in cases.....Man those things are BUILT for combat!! Shoot 'em, ding 'em, scratch 'em, give 'em some love! Nothin looks better than a custom blued 1911 with lots of holster wear!! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I get older, I now know why the old farts drive slow compared to when I was younger and wanted to open them up and see what they can do, same goes for any sports car, or high end firearm.

That retire earned it, probably paid off his house, kids college is done, and finally getting his/her toy that he could not afford when young. Sure, when you are young you are invincible, reflexes fast,want the world but broke. That person manned up and did the responsible thing and waited for his toy.

I have would say the same goes for high end firearms. If you can afford it, go for it, as you earned it. People that say get a TRP or a Kimber, its just not the same. Buy once cry once, and enjoy, no regrets. Sure you get diminishing returns, but at least you mind is at ease knowing you got what you wanted. </div></div>

I'm with this guy. If the Wilson is what you want, buy it. You'll know soon enough if you made a mistake doing so, but I highly doubt you did.
I'm usually not one to try to change someones mind, but Ed Brown's Classic would be of equal qaulity for less coin.
Anymore, I find it hard to buy a gun from a company where you know the first &1000.00 is just paying for previous advertising, and there is alot of it out there.

Have an Ed Brown KC and a Wilson CQB....both have run flawlessly and I don't regret the money spent at all.

The wait times ARE getting out of hand though. The price of popularity.

FN in MT

Very true, compairing a Wilson to a TRP and Kimber is not even close. The Kimbers and Springfields are production guns and Wilsons are hand made. The fit and quality is easily appearant. I love Springfields and they shoot really well but its like compairing a Remington 700p to a GAP.
There is nothing quiet like a high end 1911. There is a reason and a very good reason why those guns are not in the same price range.

I too have owned the coveted Wilson CQB Elite.. and a Nightforce Talon.. and some handmades.. and some of those "Kimber *cough* high-end tacticools* .. and like the others have said, once you OWN a high end, you will truly realize how NOT high end a Kimber really is.. My 1911 rule of thumb... If you want a Wilson/Ed/NH/Custom, then buy one, you wont regret it... if you WANT a Kimber.. buy a Springfield
wink.gif

The Les Bears don't have quite as many options but in the high end 1911 category I think you get the most for your money from them. you can get a great Baer for 1950 and thats pretty damn good for the money. They don't have as many commander models but if looking for no frills accuracy and quality go with them.

Have two Wilsons, one is 38 super and one is 45 ACP. Both are supergrade. Had both for some time when price was less compared to now. Read about Kimber top of line 45 ACP and had the itch so I got one. Did not fit my hand right, you really can't com-pair to the wilsons. If it won't put you in a bind money wise get the wilson, every time you take it shooting you won't have any regrets, money has a way of dis appearing, you will enjoy pistol for the rest of your life.

I have a few Wilsons and they are flawless in every aspect. Get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your money and get an Armscor American Classic II.

I have one and it is the most accurate 1911 I've seen.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61671

Read this review:

http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm-1911Deluxe.htm

40gt </div></div>

I cant argue with the American Classic, I do own a Wilson, Kimber, HK, S&W. This American Classic went to the range with my friend and his NEW Nighthawk T3. I was very impressed for the quality fit and finish. The range was great. It ran Ball UMC, Hollow Points, 230, 185 and like my Chip McCormic mags.. Nighthawks are great guns. I got to shoot it. The American Classic was shooting tight groups from 15-45 feet. I bought it as a Boat Gun. but currently rethinking this one.. LOL It has a couple hundered rounds down the tube.. I don't regret it at all. My friend had to look twice to see if I had sneaked in the Wilson.. LOL

On the one hand, I'm hesitant to recommend a Wilson Combat or Les Baer to a customer who's never owned a 1911 before. You don't know what you don't know, and there's an education that comes with owning and breaking into 1911s that teaches you what a good .45 should do in the hand. Buying one without putting in the ground work can easily be a waste if you should decide in time that you desire a different set of features entirely.

On the other hand, if money isn't an object...don't waste time with anything under $2k in the 1911 world (save perhaps Dan Wesson and one or two other rarities).

If you've got the money, why not. I've got some 'high' end 1911's, but I'm a crappy shooter (improving slowly). I've been humbled by fellow shooters who can shot a ragged hole with a RIA and hand made reloads. I guess that's another point, if you've got the money AND skills, go for it. Nothing looks worse than showing up shooting a $5k gun poorly!