• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

ShakyDave

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Caught the trailer in 3D and, contrary to all expectations (I read the book), I think it might be a pretty good flick.

Tim Burton strikes again!

Re: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaky Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caught the trailer in 3D and, contrary to all expectations (I read the book), I think it might be a pretty good flick.

Tim Burton strikes again!</div></div>

didn't read the book, but I saw the trailer in 3D before seeing Prometheus and I have to say it looks more interesting from the trailer than Prometheus was for 2 hours.

Offbeat, weird, intense, hidden story behind the man, totally and completely made up with no real bearing on reality, maybe allegory or metaphor on some level, but good entertainment.

And I like vampire flicks. This should be fun.

I sadly expended lots and lots of sanity working on that film. I'm amazed it actually was finished.

Holy Shit is this what they are down to? Fucking really? Abraham Lincoln Fucking Vampire hunter? Who let the 14 year old emo kids pitch ideas. I saw the ad for this movie this weekend and my jaw dropped. I have a very high tolerance for giving a movie a chance and like many movies others hate but damn. Last one out shut the lights off in Hollywood...............

^^^^^^^^^
What he said. Ladies and Gentelmen, I give you....the bottom of the barrel!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k20350</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy Shit is this what they are down to? Fucking really? Abraham Lincoln Fucking Vampire hunter? Who let the 14 year old emo kids pitch ideas. I saw the ad for this movie this weekend and my jaw dropped. I have a very high tolerance for giving a movie a chance and like many movies others hate but damn. Last one out shut the lights off in Hollywood............... </div></div>

So when Dogtown gives us "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" from the same author, you'd prefer to be counted out?
laugh.gif

The book is actually a good read - entertaining and a clever re-imagining of history. For people who aren't aware, the author has created this new style of taking historical figures or stories and re-imagining them by interweaving zombies or in this case vampires.

51fE3vjLWKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The movie is...it's the Russian director of "Wanted" and let's just say he takes a page out of the John Woo school of action.

I got Lincoln and Zombies from Redbox the other night mistaking it for the not even out yet Vampire Hunter.

(I obviously don't pay too much attention to movies)

It was terrible, started doing laundry less than half way through.

That movie, and apparently I, for renting it, is truly bottom of the barrel.

I got to see it. Buddy was using it to try and demo some sort of 'true 3d' TV his company is messing around with. Liked it but it's kind of silly and odd to say the least.

At least with something like this you know what you're getting into...shit I remember spending 70something dollars to see Avatar at IMAX. Goddamn what a waste of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k20350</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who let the 14 year old emo kids pitch ideas</div></div>

I dunno. Next year's Teddy Roosevelt, Lesbians and Zombies looks pretty good to me.

Wish me luck guys!! I'm off to Hollywood to pitch my movie ideas I thought of on the shitter just now!

1: Millard Fillmore Dragonslayer

2: William Howard Taft Shark Eviscerator Parts 1,2,and 3 (Trilogy of course)

3: Winston Churchill's Bikini Beach Summer Camp Ninja Zombie Massacre (in IMAX Real 3D of course)

I believe number three to be my masterpiece. I think I am going to cast Antotnio Banderas as Churchie and Kate Upton as his love interest. Man I'm gonna be drinking Crystal of Catrinel Menghia's ass by sundown Monday!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The movie is...it's the Russian director of "Wanted" and let's just say he takes a page out of the John Woo school of action. </div></div>

I seeeeeee. Well, I thought Wanted wasn't too bad a flick except for the ending, which was a little predictable. At least I didn't demand my money back like I did in Ghost Rider. Lots of axehead-cam shots, eh?

Tried to read P and P and Z, I really did, and not even the living dead could get me to stick with that story more than about ten pages. I think maybe this is a tale better presented with cinema than with ink and paper.

Movies are the new history books, so this is what Abe will be known for in the generations to come.

Here's a tiny bit more about the film

http://io9.com/5920364/why-timur-bekmambetov-had-to-throw-a-horse-at-abraham-lincoln?tag=Abraham-Lincoln|-Vampire-Hunter

Saw it tonight in 3D (due to movie times starting and our dinner schedule). I found this movie to be extremely good. One of the better films this year. My wife thought it was the best film in years (I was surprised at her liking of the movie). The acting, plot, and costume/scenery were all excellent. The 3D effect was great and (I think) added to the movie.

The movie flowed nicely, but it was not "non stop action" like the critics have said on their reviews (the few positives ones). The fight scenes were very much like "300", but there were only about 5 of those and each only lasted 15-25 seconds. The movie trailer does not depict the movie very well, much like the "Prometheus" trailer didn't portrait that movie well either.

However, I believe that a lot of people won't like it, as it is not like "Zombieland" or "Twilight". Closer to "Interview with a Vampire", if anything.

I thought it was one of the better movies of the year. If you don't like it, well, that's tough.

I saw the trailer for It. The thing that jumped out at me the most was that they showed the Washington monument completed when Lincoln was alive. It wasn't completed until 1888. With this being a complete work of fiction the small details like a monument commemorating our first president can be overlooked I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62DAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the trailer for It. The thing that jumped out at me the most was that they showed the Washington monument completed when Lincoln was alive. It wasn't completed until 1888. With this being a complete work of fiction the small details like a monument commemorating our first president can be overlooked I guess. </div></div>

Dude, see the movie. It is all historically accurate as far as building construction at the time of his life. The opening narrative describes "how things were" from a present day look at D.C. Those buildings actually disappear as time goes back to when Lincoln was a kid. It is a pretty neat way to set the movie and it only takes 1 minute.

Like I said, the trailer doesn't represent the movie very well at all. It is more of an overview of Lincoln developing and how it prepared him to be President during the Civil War. It is closely tied to a history of Lincoln with the fiction element of vampires. It is well done.

Just watched it. Wasn't looking for "To Kill a Mockingbird," just wanted an hour and a half of diversion. I thought the film was great!

It was nicely filmed and had a good look about it. I thought the entire burning trestle bit was a little over the top, but isn't that the type of thing that draws young audiences? The theater was packed, and I hope the film does well.

Cheers... Jim

I spent a few months working on the chase in the stampede sequence - lots of really cool shots never made it in the final though. Almost everything in that sequence is CG, even the actors at times because they pretty much just went out in a field, jumped around and filmed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent a few months working on the chase in the stampede sequence - lots of really cool shots never made it in the final though. Almost everything in that sequence is CG, even the actors at times because they pretty much just went out in a field, jumped around and filmed it. </div></div>

I am sorry to say, that the stampede sequence was one of my least favorite parts of the film. It was just too over the top (the jumping around). Surprisingly, as I say that, I did enjoy the individual horse action and result.

No worries at all - we often don't get to chose what we work on. If you think it's over the top now, it was WAY crazier before the final edit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaky Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caught the trailer in 3D and, contrary to all expectations (I read the book), I think it might be a pretty good flick.

Tim Burton strikes again!</div></div>

I really enjoyed the book and how they intertwined with history, characters and the battles. Saw the movie over the weekend and the axe fighting scene's were B.A. but i was a bit disappointed in that they didn't follow the book and get more involved in the vampire plot of politics and Abe's friends he made along the way.

I saw the commercial for it while watching tv with my wife. I said what the fuck. She said I dunno looks entertaining to me. We will catch it soon I'm sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....(warning, may contain spoilers) </div></div>

What do you mean "may"?

"May" as in "I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm not sure if the article gives much away."

First, I have to say that any movie with dialog gets something from me. If the sentences are more than 3 words in length, it gets even more.

But in the post-300 world, I sadly have a hard time going to terms with the "epicness" of characters and their action sequences. The horse scene, the train, and to some extent even the pharmacist.. they just bug me with impossible action.

I want to see action, I love action. I love dialog.. I love banter (hence why the Firefly series is at the top of my A list). But I want to believe that a stunt man somewhere in the world, could have pulled it off.

Comic book movies are given an exception, since they were always intended to be beyond the realm of the possible.

Sorry. long rant. Critics gave it a 1 and 1/2 star, I found that to be about where I would have placed it.

As stated above, sets and costumes were great.

Just saw it last night with a friend. Quite hokey and yet amusing at the same time.

Looking forward to a sequel, maybe Martin Luther King, KKKlansman Killer!

I think "Abe Lincoln, hunter of liberty, sovereignty, and self rule" is more believable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BanjoBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think "Abe Lincoln, hunter of liberty, sovereignty, and self rule" is more believable. </div></div>

Do a search for "Abraham Lincoln America's Stalin."

Scary.

I need to see this based solely on the ridiculousness of the title . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Won't go to the movies until "Shankster, The Untold Stories" comes out.

</div></div>

You can expect this guy to be there too.

fred%20willard%20660%20reuters.JPG

Well they finally released it in NZ and it's frustrating to see the horse chase sequence was edited down to a third of what we actually did. No wonder it doesn't make sense - it starts off pretty much in the middle of the chase. In the end it's probably the weakest part of the film now. Such is movie making...

Tthe 3D dimentionalization was done by StereoD and is really damned good. The climactic train sequence is quite good and while the book is a great read, the movie is rather.....meh.

Just watched it... Thought it was pretty badass!

I thought it was gonna be corny ass hell, but it wasn't, and it was very entertaining!