• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Accelerated EMT – B Program

Arch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
fake
www.chinesefortunecalendar.com
Wish I could attend and get this cert. Thought some might be interested.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Accelerated EMT – B Program</span>

Dates: February 8, 2010 –February 26, 2010 (14 Days)

Time: 9am-6pm

Location: Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy, 1380 Central
Park Blvd, Suite # 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401

Prerequisites:
1. Student must be 16 years of age or older before the start of the course.
2. Hold an approved cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course at the beginning date of the course. This certification must also be current at the time of state testing. (CCJA will offer this training before this course.)

Cost: $1,200.00 (This cost does not include Books or test fees)

Coordinator: Charles A. Williams NREMT-P

Books:
Required text:
Mosby's EMT-Basic Textbook Revised 2nd Edition Revised
W. Stoy, T. Platt, D. Lejeune and the Center for Emergency Medicine, published by Mosby

Required text:
Mosby's EMT-Basic Workbook 2nd Edition
W. Stoy, T. Platt, D. Lejeune and the Center for Emergency Medicine, published by Mosby.

Program description:

Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (4 year certification)

The Emergency Medical Technician – Basic course is designed to provide training to prepare an individual to function independently in a medical emergency. This course provides the basic knowledge and skills needed to provide basic life support (BLS) care and is required to progress to more advanced levels of pre-hospital patient care.

The course requires a minimum of 111 hours of classroom and skills instruction and 10 hours of Clinical/Field rotations for a total of 121 hours of training. Virginia Certification requires successful completion of a written and practical skills examination. This course is designed to train individuals to serve as a vital link in the chain of the health care team.

Student will be eligible to set for Virginia EMT-Basic exam Note: reciprocity available to the take National Registry Exam after gaining Virginia certification.

This includes all skills necessary to provide emergency medical care as an attendant-in-charge with a basic life support ambulance service or other specialized rescue service.

Upon successfully completion of the training program, the student will be capable of performing the following functions:

(1) Recognize the nature and seriousness of the patient’s condition or extent of injury to assess requirements for emergency care.

(2) Administer appropriate emergency care to stabilize the patient’s condition.

(3) Lift, move, position and otherwise handle the patient in a way as to minimize discomfort and further injury.

The EMT-Basic curriculum will be based upon the DOT National Standard Curriculum for the EMT-Basic (1994 edition) and the 2002 Supplemental Airway Modules for the 1994 EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum. The EMT-Basic will be trained and proficient in all skills described in the DOT National Standard Curriculum for the EMT-Basic (1994 edition) and the 2002 Supplemental modules for the EMT-Basic: National Standard Curriculum.

Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy LLC.
Thomas Perroni
Training Director/Instructor
1380 Central Park Blvd Suite 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401
www.ccjatraining.com
Office: (540) 322-3000 Cell: (540) 846-7088
[email protected]
DCJS # 88-1499

Re: Accelerated EMT – B Program

After years as an instructor and 18 years in emergency medicine my personal opinion would be to be cautious of any course containing "accelerated". If you want some extra knowledge but do not intend to work in an EMS field, such a course can fit the bill, but if you want to work as a medic consider a longer course. Skills and knowledge take time to develop and sink in, and no matter how good the instruction, this is tough to bypass.

If time and money allow, I am in favor of anyone obtaining more complete first aid knowledge. Just pick the right course.

Shortly after I "retired", recognizing that my wife and I were going to have time to do some extended hiking in the backcountry, I took a Wilderness First Responder course from Wilderness Medical Associates.

It was 70 hours of instruction spread over 5 very busy days designed to prepare outdoor program staff for entities like the National Outdoor Leadership Schools and Outward Bound to deal with medical emergencies. It was an excellent course.

I recommend a course like that, even though I did not and do not need the certification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the course can you take the exam for any state or just VA? </div></div>

You can take the VA test followed by the National Exam or you can get a letter to take the test in your home state and then the National Exam, per Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After years as an instructor and 18 years in emergency medicine my personal opinion would be to be cautious of any course containing "accelerated". If you want some extra knowledge but do not intend to work in an EMS field, such a course can fit the bill, but if you want to work as a medic consider a longer course. Skills and knowledge take time to develop and sink in, and no matter how good the instruction, this is tough to bypass.

If time and money allow, I am in favor of anyone obtaining more complete first aid knowledge. Just pick the right course. </div></div>

As an Rn and NREMT-P,I have to agree..Never take something that deals with either saving or taking lives(tactical training)in an accelerated fashion..

Just like you don't skimp on your gear because when you do it will shit the bed when you need it the most. This is NO different!

It will do you no good to cram a course like this in your brain just to pass a test for certification.

Now I don't think an EMT-B course should take 8 months either. I truly believe there are some things you can not learn in the class room and you will find this out if you ever run on the back of a "truck"..

There should be more clinical rotations and less classroom BS

Nothing can take the place of true experience.

G-TAC

This is an excellent outfit. I took the Wilderness-EMT course in Gunnison, CO. They now have a course in Lander, WY. I worked as an EMT for AMR-West after finishing the course. Hope this helps.

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

you can learn in an Accelerated course, but you will have to learn a lot more once on the streets. You'll have the same amount of time to be competent. question is, do you want to do most of it on your own, or under someones supervision?

Tyler
(10 years as a street medic)

Yikes, that's fast for all the information. Mine was a whole term (3 months).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tyler
(10 years as a street medic)</div></div>

That's different than a street pharmacist right?

I agree with Hanibal. Don't rush anything medical. My EMT course was almost 4 months. Lots of info and ride alongs too. Remember doing CPR on an 80 something year old woman on a ride along. Not going to get that in a 14 day class. Too much to learn and have sink in in 14 days.

Been an career firefighter/EMT for 15 years now. Still learning.

Here is your EMT-B Accelerated program ...

Trauma - Bandage Bleeding, Splint Fractures, and C-Spine ...

Medical - Take a Blood Pressure, Pale and Cool lots of O2, Pink and dry nose hose ... White Right, Smoke over Fire ... no pulse? push on chest rapidly and 1/2 the chest width.

Driving - avoid bumps, stop at all reds / stop signs, check the intersection before crossing ... dont drive like an asshat or your partner will pimp slap you... trying to get an IV in a 80yo dehydrated con home patient while your doing shitty driving doesnt make for good patient care...

That about covers it ... ok not really ... but its more true than isnt...

Accel EMT programs around here are expensive because they are private, go to a community college do a semester along with the BS hospital time ... no amb time required in CA ... main thing you can do is be a good investigator, get comfortable talking to people and finding out wtf their problem is... don't lead patient's but dont be affraid to ask questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yikes, that's fast for all the information. Mine was a whole term (3 months).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tyler
(10 years as a street medic)</div></div>

That's different than a street pharmacist right? </div></div>

Nah one of the same
wink.gif

If a 3 month course and a 3 week course have the same amount of hours and instruction, why is a 3 week course a bad idea?

If I took 4 hours of firearm instruction every week for 3 months, or 3 intense, full-time, weeks of firearm instruction, I would choose the 3 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Runkle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a 3 month course and a 3 week course have the same amount of hours and instruction, why is a 3 week course a bad idea?

If I took 4 hours of firearm instruction every week for 3 months, or 3 intense, full-time, weeks of firearm instruction, I would choose the 3 weeks.
</div></div>

You have obviously never been fed with a fire hose, to quote a term. When you have time to absorb the information presented, roll it around, and chew on it some things become much clearer. Total immersion classes work in limited circumstances with a very specific population. Rolling into an EMT-B with a CPR card in your pocket and little else is not a way to roll. I don't know the cat doing this but I'd be interested in seeing his approach and failure rate in class and his liability rate 1yr after the fact. Just some things I dig in an instructor that will certify me to go to jail if I screw up figuring out what he "forgot" to tell me in class.

Oh yeah, What Lindy said
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Not to ding on these guys as I don't know them and they may be straight up good mugs but......

Charles A. Williams / Lead Medical Instructor

Current Law Enforcement Officer, Virginia Emergency Medical Technician Instructor, Virginia Department of Fire Programs Instructor III, ACLS & PALS Instructor Trainer, ITLS Course Coordinator, PEPP Course Coordinator, Virginia Advanced Life Support Coordinator, Nationally Registered Paramedic, CPR & First Aid Instructor Trainer, Virginia DCJS General Instructor, NIMMS ICS Instructor, NFPA Fire Officer IV, NFPA Hazardous Materials Technician and Incident Commander.

Look up the training qualification requirements for the above certs on the lead instructor. There are several things not mentioned that bother me. No Ambu time (sorry LEO don't count), no live tissue training or cert, no PHTLS or instructor, no T3C or similar. Sorry this guy looks like a fat LEO/FD training officer making a buck off line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is your EMT-B Accelerated program ...

Trauma - Bandage Bleeding, Splint Fractures, and C-Spine ...

Medical - Take a Blood Pressure, Pale and Cool lots of O2, Pink and dry nose hose ... White Right, Smoke over Fire ... no pulse? push on chest rapidly and 1/2 the chest width.

Driving - avoid bumps, stop at all reds / stop signs, check the intersection before crossing ... dont drive like an asshat or your partner will pimp slap you... trying to get an IV in a 80yo dehydrated con home patient while your doing shitty driving doesnt make for good patient care...

That about covers it ... ok not really ... but its more true than isnt...

Accel EMT programs around here are expensive because they are private, go to a community college do a semester along with the BS hospital time ... no amb time required in CA ... main thing you can do is be a good investigator, get comfortable talking to people and finding out wtf their problem is... don't lead patient's but dont be affraid to ask questions.</div></div>

Well put, JasonB. Common sense and the "K.I.S.S" principle go a long way.

The EMT-B course at the local Tech college, near me, is 3 quarters long if taking day classes and 4 quarters for night classes. Emergency medicine is not something you want to rush to learn, just to get "certified". We have a saying in the fire service. There's a big difference between "Certified" and "Qualified". Think about which one you'd want working on you, and decide accordingly. That's my best advice for you, bud. Good luck, either way.

One more thing, Forty-One. Once you have your "cert" and are ridin' the bus, that's when you find out what the course didn't teach you. Good luck.

Doggonit,

Seems I neglected to read who the OP was. Belay my last, Nuff Said.

Cheers,

Doc