• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy 1st anti-cant device opinions

canezach

House of Chingasos
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2014
    Colorado
    Yes, I tried the search and found plenty of threads for Accuracy Intl, AICS, mags, etc.

I'm looking for anti-cant options. The Accuracy 1st product is intriguing since it's not the typical bubble level. Not that I'm opposed to a bubble, but the prices range from $35 or so for the Vortex, to over $100 for the US Optics. Is the ball device in the Accuracy 1st a better design? I guess my thought is if it were, wouldn't others do the same? Thoughts?

I'm using an Accuracy First level on my Bushy DMR. I may catch flak for saying this, but I think it's an inferior design. The ball is not sensitive enough. It has a tendency to "stick" in position instead of rolling until you give the rifle a light "shake" or nudge. It does have the advantage of not splitting apart under recoil like a bubble level, which is nice. Overall, not worth the extra money. Just get an offset scope mounted level like a Vortex or Holland level and spend the extra money on ammo.

I have one and i like mine very well. Mine seems to roll smoothly and i havent had any issues with the ball gettkng stuck as mentioned above.
    my only complaint about it is the screws attach from the bottom so it can be a little frustrating when you install.
    but all in all i would buy another.
    Mine is a 34mm on a Steiner 5-25

I have tried several anti-cant devices and I like the Accuracy 1st one the best. The main reason is that it uses a bead instead of a bubble. From behind the scope, my presbyopic 50 year old eyes have a hard time seeing bubbles, but I can see the bead clearly enough that I dont have to come out from behind the scope.

geez, it's not like you need a 'precision' bubble level. it just needs to be where you can see it without disrupting your position. midway sells BSA picatinny mount levels for like $12. they've always worked fine for me. better than the integral bubble level in the spuhr mount. not as good as the internal bubble level in the USO 5-25x.

No problem seeing mine mounted on left and using left eye (non-dominant) while looking through scope and behind gun in firing position. It is blurry, but I can tell where ball is.

I have four of them mounted on various rifles and they work very well. No issue with the ball sticking and can see while my dominant eye is behind the scope.

I know I am going to get flamed for this. Why use a bubble level? Try shooting without on first.spend your money on training or more ammo.

When I first got into the money draining hobby of shooting highly built precision rifles I found out how crooked my head was and I ran a level on all my rigs. After a couple years of shooting and thousands of rounds down range I find now my sense of level is much better and I'm almost always leveled out when I reference my level. But out in the field you will undoubtedly run into a shot that fools you so I continue to use a quality level on all my rigs just in case. After a while it becomes second nature to make sure the rifle is level before you break the shot, but its nice to have a backup to your crooked ass eyes.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you're on a flat range or in a place where the horizon is visible, there's no need for a bubble level. On the other hand, if you're in the mountains where your position is canted one way 4 degrees and the target is canted another way 7 degrees and the horizon is not visible because of a rise (which is canted another way 3 degrees), then a level is the only way to know which way gravity is pulling. Humans can't tell precisely which way is down without some reference. If you want a widespread example of human equilibrium being fooled, google "gravity hills".

I'm using an Accuracy First level on my Bushy DMR. I may catch flak for saying this, but I think it's an inferior design. The ball is not sensitive enough. It has a tendency to "stick" in position instead of rolling until you give the rifle a light "shake" or nudge. It does have the advantage of not splitting apart under recoil like a bubble level, which is nice. Overall, not worth the extra money. Just get an offset scope mounted level like a Vortex or Holland level and spend the extra money on ammo.
    You are 100% correct. I have seen the Accuracy first level marketed as a "precision level" time and time again, allowing you to more correctly tell if your rifle is level. The opposite is in fact true. It requires a greater degree of off center, based on the curved design, to indicate cant. Anyone who doesn't believe this, hold an Accuracy First and a conventional bubble level together, and start to cant them. The traditional bubble will move off center far before the Accuracy First model.