• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Accuracy Breakthrough

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
New range report on my BadRock 6mm ARC. Rifle picture is here:

Precision Rifles.....show em!! | Page 76 | Sniper's Hide Forum (snipershide.com)

I just went through an accuracy breakthrough this last week, and it wasn’t anything different from me nor the rifle. It was the rear bag. I met a very nice guy last week at the 100-yard range. He was working on loads for his PRS matches and had a top of the line everything rifle in 6 GT, foundation stock custom action (left handed too), etc. And, he was using a wax canvas Weibad Mini FC as a rear bag.

We talked a lot during the cease fires and while he was working on his loads he showed me something on his chrono I had never seen - 5 straight shots with his middle weight test charge at THE SAME 2874fps MV with excellent accuracy! A keeper load in my book.

Back to the rear bag. I was shooting my .22 trainer and he saw my rear bag and heard my complaint as to how they did not hold shape for multiple shots. he then offered me his sand filled, 8-pound, Waxed Canvas Mini FC to try as a rear bag. After five shots, all in one ragged hole, I was sold! Problem was that it was a bit of a low hold, but I still ordered it that afternoon because as it turned out I figured that I could put my hand inside the bottom cleft and manipulate the height. The heft and the thinness of the sand and canvas makes it SUPER stable - pic below. Light years from the light "wing" bags I've been using.

i-CN9HHBg-L.jpg

I tried it today at 626 and 292 yards and it is amazing. I had never been this consistent. Here is my cold bore shot on steel at 626 yards. That was followed by a 5-shot group at the same distance that measured .591 MOA.

i-gPRTWz8-L.jpg

And here is a 300-yard 5-shot group (not wind corrected). You can clearly see the factory ammo MV SD but no variation on my aim/POI so it is still a huge improvement for me at longer ranges:

i-2WMg3j8-M.jpg

I can see me using just this one bag when I'm confident enough to start shooting matches....

As always, it's great to have such nice people in our sport that always offer great help!

I’ll have more info on this journey of mine later and it involves using the info on Frank’s and all the other guys that write articles here. All that stuff like WepMath and such has helped me a lot, keeping me from chasing my tail round and round trying to improve my shooting.

All the best,

JAS

Ive found sometimes changing gear drastically, can help improve you by breaking habits. It forces you to re-learn how and why you do things.

Glad to see it worked out for you and helped you up your game !

Reactions: JAS-SH
An update to the original post.

Again at 626 yards. This is a five-shot group. Max spread was 3.8 inches for .591 MOA. The red line squares are .1mil = 2.61 inches @ 600 yards - (.36x6).

The guys at the range want me to enter the 5-inch gong match they hold 1 Saturday every month :).

i-j4tBR6M-M.jpg

Reactions: iceng