• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Accuracy change after Barrel cut down

Cnewhouse48

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
St.hedwig tx
I recently had 2 barrels cut and threaded from 26”-16 and 24-16 one a 223 one a 308.
Both of these guns are factory savage barrels that consistently shot .75-1moa. I’m now seeing HUGE changes in accuracy.

I’m pretty sure it’s just due to harmonics change/ bullet stabilization. I have several hundred loads for each rifle that I made before the cut down, now those loads don’tgroup well.
Is this a typical issue after cutting that much barrel off?

It will most likely shoot the current bullets yet. Just need to play with the powder charge

Keep in mind you’ll loose a ton of velocity with the shorter barrel. So recheck your ballistic data after finding a good load

I shot some today from my pet load and lost about 130fps which I was expecting.
I’m seeing 2750 with a 75 gr eldm out of a 223.

I’m going to try xbr8208 and pp2000mr hoping for more velocity. I’m currently using Varget.

I’m sure your well aware already but test the new loads without the suppressor first. Just to make sure they stabilize before sending through your can

Although not a cut down or a bolt gun. I swapped barrels in my lmt mws from a 13.5 with flash hider to a 16”. I had previously been shooting 168smk with 42.0 gr of IMR 4064. The 16” shot them better (.6 compared to .8)

Should stabilize and run the same powder charge fine for the most part.

Group size is more affected via seating depth. Though that much of a reduction in barrel and powder may need slight tweaking. Likely not much though like seating depth will.

That's a serious haircut on those barrels!

I cut down a 6x47 barrel to 17" and wished I had gone to 20". The thing is loud with a can on it now. Plus the velocity loss, I don't see much benefit other than handiness to cutting barrels very short. I guess that's why we all need some of each!

Man a 26” gun with a can in a deer blind isn’t worth a shit. I’ll build a couple more long barreled guns for target guns.