• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy Int. 6.5x55 SE re-barrel.....reasonable?

G

I can always count on the hide for honest feed back.

I'm considering picking up an AIAE and having it re-barreled to 6.5x55 SE. I have a few hundred rounds of 144gr Lapua Match ammo that I know would have to be manually loaded. <span style="font-weight: bold">Will 123grain Scenar's work in a short action mag?</span>

Also, I want something a little shorter.....maybe 20". I know how 6.5x55 SE performs out of a 26 and 24" barrel, <span style="font-weight: bold">How about 20"?</span>

Before I get a lot of "Why's", please read:

1) I absolutely love my AIAW. I love the feel of the AI's and their features. It is truely my favorite firearm

2) I already have a Krieger 6.5mm palma contoured barrel in 1:8.5" ready to go for a 6.5x55 SE project.

3) Why 20"? My AW is 24" with a 1.5 stock. An AE with 20" barrel and 2.0 would be a little easier to tote around for practical use. More than likely max range will be 500y max. If I need more range, I'll opt for the AW

4) Why 6.5x55 SE? I shot a friend's Sako in 6.5SE and fell in love. I actually intended on buying the rifle from him prior to his backing out of the deal.

5) Why not a 700/custom build? The AI's already come with the custom features (bolt release on receiver, DM, heavy duty extractor, etc) in an action I know I like. I will never go back to a 700 on my own dime.

Re: Accuracy Int. 6.5x55 SE re-barrel.....reasonable?

What is the max overall length you can fit in the mag? I love the 6.5x55 cartridge but trying to use it in a short action gun for anything besides a single shot is really going to limit the
round due to length. I have AICS mags for my 308 and 7WSM and with teh front plate taken out can load to 2.940 easily. Most of my favorite loads in the 6.5 are with a 139 to 142 bullet that are about 3.100 col. I might be tempted to build a 260 or 260 AI
if the length in those mags are a limiting factor.

Re: Accuracy Int. 6.5x55 SE re-barrel.....reasonable?

Look at hornady's 6.5 creedmoore, you can even fit the 160's in your mag and
it doesn't give up a lot in speed. They claim 160's are still supersonic at 1300.