• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AI AX Barrel Specs

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I wanted to have a custom Barrel made for my AXMC and I talked to a few Barrel makers and spots that have the high speed CNC machines to get this type of work done, and they said all that the would needed would be for me to send them a barrel or the Specs for the AI barrel and they can do the rest. Do you know where I can get the specs, I know that Tooley, OTM, and a few others make barrels, how do you get your hands on specs so I dont have to send in a barrel?

i dont know of anyone who has or freely gives the AI specs away, most are pretty hush about it...when i wanted one done by a smith who didnt have the specs already i had to send a barrel in for them to measure

Unless you have your hart set on a specific smith why not go with someone who has experience making these barrels?? I have 7 Tooley barrels and service has been great. Last year I had him make me 4 barrels 2 for my PSR 300wm 338lm, 1 for my AT in 6.5cm and 1 for my AX in 6cm. OTM and Milehigh has barrels in stock at good prices

What they said ^

I'll add that if youre looking for something custom rhat isnt already available(chamber, brake, contour, etc) the same makers above will do that for you as well.

It is more about price than smith or chambering, I don't doubt the quality or customer service provided. But end of the day all of these Barrels are made on a CNC machine and there is relatively little labor once specs are input into machine. I take nothing away from Tooley, OTM, or MileHigh and I will probably end up buying one of these barrels, but you are paying for the AI specs and precision capability of the CNC machine, prices really are not that amazing. Maybe compared to what it would cost to buy a barrel blank and have a smith hand fit it to an action and head-space but even then we paid enough money in front end on AI system, sucks to keep paying in back-end on barrels.

You are not paying for the specs. You are paying for a barrel that is built to those specs exactly, every time. I have a Tooley barrel for my AX. It spun on perfectly and shoots incredible. I have had it on and off a few times at that. No problems or worries. The "labor" is in the details.

I am not saying they are not fantastic, and I am not saying I wouldn't buy one but to say that they are a hand made Labor of love barrel done by hand on a mill/lathe that is not true, they are made in big high Dollar CNC machines that are capable of the precision needed, at the end of the day they are a rifled pipe with threads at each end. I am asking for the specs because I have someone that will do this for me at a more realistic price than the 3-4 venders out there. I have confidence that the person on my end will do just as good of a job. Again taking nothing away from Tooley, but I am trying to make my $ go further in this expensive hobby.

Take your friend the existing barrel. He should be able to figure it out from there.... it is only rifled pipe with threads on the end after all.....

Please tell the class how much you think chambering and threading should cost.

LRI for example charges $325 for chambering and barrel fitting. $100 to thread the muzzle. A barrel blank is roughly $325. They use only CNC machines for this work.

That's a grand total of $750. If the quality of work is not worth it to you.... Fast, cheap and right.... Pick two....

So you have the large framed gun(AXMC .338)? If so, the thread is M30x2.0, and the tenon length is 1.5 inches long exactly (1.499"-1.5"). The safest way to go would be to send the whole gun so your guy can ensure everything works. The second option would be to send a barrel so he could duplicate it. Either would be a one time thing if your smith will retain the dimensions for future use.

There is a bit of a price premium on AI barrels, but there was a time when all you had was AI direct for them, and a small (like very small) handful of smith's that would do them. They're a bit of a bitch to do. I built special tooling for headspacing and indexing to make up for the fact that the receiver can't be test fit onto the barrel while it's still in the lathe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frontseeker
I was on here to discuss the specs not play cost/benefit analysis with you, as you stated I will just send in my barrel and they can reverse engineer specs from there. Thanks sweetie!

I just want to know what this guys buddy is gonna charge him........

I look forward to the "my AXMC won't shoot or blows primers or is hard on brass" threads....

So everyone will scream bullshit, but my price is 325$ for a complete chambered barrel. So yes.......~500$ cheaper than OTM or Tooley, believe it or not. I will not say who or where, and again this is in relation to a military/shooting team deal, so YMMV.

LOL so basically you are paying for the cost of the blank and thats it? If the smith wants to work for free thats cool, and he needs to get in contact with AI to get the correct print.

LOL so basically you are paying for the cost of the blank and thats it? If the smith wants to work for free thats cool, and he needs to get in contact with AI to get the correct print.

So he cuts his own rifling, so the blank is not really that cost prohibitive either. Like I said before with the right CNC equipment, a Barrel is just a rifled pipe with threads on both ends, this is a reputable shop not just a dude at the bar that has Autocad on his laptop.

I've spun up a few AI (SA) barrels. I asked a few of the smiths that finish barrels for the AI and none would give me any help. I pulled my AINA (Tooley) barrel and made my own drawing.

Last edited:
$7,000 for a AXMC and you are being cheap on a barrel.... good luck.

$8350 actually minus whatever discount you can get.

I am cheap too and have bought quite a few takeoff 308Win barrels for my AT for $325 shipped but they are known good barrels. When/if I get the AXMC I know that barrels are going to cost more and will pay the smiths that have done it before to do it right for me the first time.

I was guessing on a used price, the quality of my barrels I refuse to guess on. wink

I really hope to be able to find a used AXMC too for right around $7K but I am not banking on it. I suppose if I got the barrel for effectively free I would try a new smith but I wouldn't expect much out of it either.

Mile High must be wrong as well.... MC stands for Multi Caliber

Mile High isn't using the current naming convention for these rifles then. AX308 is for the short action while AXMC is for the long action. It wasn't that way in the beginning but AI corrected the naming convention.

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ax-rifle-systems/

"The latest in a long and distinguished line of combat proven sniper rifles, the AX series comprises the stand-alone AX308 (.308 Win) and the multi calibre AXMC, a .338 Lap Mag which can be reconfigured to .300 Win Mag or.308 Win in minutes simply by changing the barrel, bolt and magazine/insert."

I like to thank everyone that has participated in this thread. It has provided a mild level of distraction and entertainment on a slow Monday.

I like to thank everyone that has participated in this thread. It has provided a mild level of distraction and entertainment on a slow Monday.

I hope the next thread that you ask a realistic question in and you have a difference of opinion with a comprable Troll that is bored on a Monday and just drags dirt through your thread.....classy. I will be happy with my barrels, you keep keyboard bullying when people don't agree. Thank you to all the PMs that I have received with useful information and the additions to the thread relevant to the conversation.

I recently purchased a 6.5 CM barrel from OTM Tactical which was already chambered by Robert Gradous at Gradous rifles for my AXMC. It shoots lights out and they have several calibers etc. in stock!

I recently purchased a 6.5 CM barrel from OTM Tactical which was already chambered by Robert Gradous at Gradous rifles for my AXMC. It shoots lights out and they have several calibers etc. in stock!

From their Website:

Check out the new replacement barrels for your AI rifle system. These barrels start their life from Bartlein or Hawk Hill and make their way to Robert Gradous at Gradous rifles to be chambered up using reamers proven to shoot lights out. Customers have been getting amazing accuracy out of these barrels.

Barrel specs are as follows:
  • 6.5 mm barrels 1-8
  • 6 mm barrels 1-8
  • Standard barrel length is 26"
  • Contour is a modified Heavy Palma, 1.20" for 3" -- 3.590" taper to 1.024" finishing at .910 at 26"
CUSTOM LENGTH BARRELS ARE AVAILABLE FROM 16.5 TO 28 INCHES.

CUSTOM CERAKOTE COLORS AVAILABLE

MUZZLE CAN BE THREADED TO YOUR SPECS

WE WILL CHAMBER CUSTOM CARTRIDGES

AI does not release any prints or drawings pertaining to barrels, rifles or anything like that. Your gunna have to send your buddy your barrel or make a drawing yourself like every other smith out there did.... OTM and the rest have made their own specs to cut to.....

What prices have you been quoted from the shops you've spoken to?

I now do AI replacement barrels and at this time they are only available from my shop. I think OTM TACTICAL has a few left instock. I have a few instock ready for delivery. Current pricing is 575 for EXCALIBUR, 775 for BARTLEIN, KRIEGER AND HAWKHILL......The large barrel MC is 875 and is cut rifle only. All are chambered and include muzzle threads and thread protector and Cerakote finish. I will also be glad to chamber your barrel that you send to me this will include Cerakote of your choice, length and muzzle threads of your choice also any reasonable calibers,,, the price of a turnkey off of your blank is 450 plus shipping. All barrels come with a 1/2 inch guarantee or better at 100 yards including the barrels you send in from a quality manufacturer.

I now do AI replacement barrels and at this time they are only available from my shop. I think OTM TACTICAL has a few left instock. I have a few instock ready for delivery. Current pricing is 575 for EXCALIBUR, 775 for BARTLEIN, KRIEGER AND HAWKHILL......The large barrel MC is 875 and is cut rifle only. All are chambered and include muzzle threads and thread protector and Cerakote finish. I will also be glad to chamber your barrel that you send to me this will include Cerakote of your choice, length and muzzle threads of your choice also any reasonable calibers,,, the price of a turnkey off of your blank is 450 plus shipping. All barrels come with a 1/2 inch guarantee or better at 100 yards including the barrels you send in from a quality manufacturer.

I have one of Robert's barrels and it is fantastic.

By the time they get into Canada they are certainly not cheap anymore but still worth it.

Robert,
I do not see them listed on your website. Is this a call and order or am i just not smart enough to find on your website?
Thanks,
Allen

Robert,
Sir I have one of your barrels and love it. I would like to order a second one. I have an AT in .308 and I would like to get a 20" threaded 5/8-24 in a M24 configuration. I sent you a PM with my contact information. Thanks sir.
Jeff

Made contact with Mr. Gradous and he is alive and doing well. He told me to tell every one he is still doing business and to contact him if you need any work.