• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AIAC "Accuracy Competition" Rifle (Design Concept)

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ok, so maybe I got your attention! Unfortunately AI isn't releasing a new rifle (at least not to my knowledge)...but I have been thinking about this for a while, so I decided to sit down and put together a design concept for my "dream" competition rifle from AI. I have owned an AT, and currently own an AX. Both are great, but IMO not perfect from a PRS-style competition perspective. There are a few things that have bothered me, and I think the fact that AI rifles are so heavily geared towards military and law enforcement means some features considered standard on other chassis systems are ignored on the AIs.

Everything I have in this concept is based in reality, and are changes that could be made to the current platform. It really boils down to being a heavily modified AT. I have thought for many hours with the AT skins off and the AX stripped down to figure out if/how this could actually work. If I knew exactly how they bonded the action to the chassis, I would even consider reverse-engineering the AT chassis and making a custom one-off that closely matches this concept.

Let me know what you guys think! Would you want something different? Some other features added? Would you buy this if it was offered by AI?

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/sRiqgpo.png"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/2UBqsG6.png"}[/IMG2]

1. Recontoured butt pad (maybe I’m the only one, but that bottom hook bugs me!)

2. Modified version of the AX folding stock.

3. Cheek piece adjustment modified to go lower than on the AX. This is needed to allow a solid cheek weld with the low action rail. Can still likely make bolt-side folding work to capture the bolt knob, but the locking button will have to be moved or changed altogether.

4. Thumb shelf, similar to what is seen on the Victor skins.

5. Reduced firing pin spring force for easier bolt lift.

6. New, reduced pull weight trigger. Same two-stage trigger, but 1.5# pull weight (1# first stage, 8oz second stage)

7. Extended mag release lever – same as on AX.

8. 12 round factory magazine. You can fit 11 rounds in the standard 10 round mag, there’s no reason why they can’t get a 12 rounder to work!

9. Low action rail (standard on AT).

10. Forend “hump” is gone, and the overall height of the forend is reduced by ~0.5”. This will still allow clearance for the action bolts that hold the chassis to the action, while providing a consistent, flat forend surface. Now, shooting from barricades will be much better since you won’t be forced to balance on the “hump”- you can run the forend bare, with a small bag, or with a Gamechanger and the balance point will be just right. Reducing the height of the forend will also reduce the amount of cant when shooting off a Gamechanger. Current AT forend is a 1.25”x1.25” square tube, the AC forend can be a 1.25”x0.75” tube.

11. M-Lok side accessory rail, integral to forend tube.

12. M-Lok mounting rails on bottom of forend. Near the magwell there is a standard bolt pattern to allow mounting of RRS Arca-Swiss plate for using a tripod. These are ~0.35” thick.

13. Non-rotating flush cup integrated into side accessory rail.

14. Night vision bridge is smaller and thinner, and can be moved to multiple positions front-to-back to better facilitate different scopes. Since most competition rifles don’t need NV mounts, this would more likely be mounted directly in front of the front objective and used as a place to wrap your support-hand thumb around when shooting off barricades.

15. Extended picatinny bipod spigot. Super close to the barrel to improve stability.

16. 24-26” barrel with standard 5/8-24 muzzle thread. Available in common short action match calibers (6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6.5x47L, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 308).

Last edited:
    I saw the thread and said, "aww hell, another AI Ima have to buy". Thank God it isn't so.

Recontoured butt pad, I was bothered by this too. I understand it is shaped with the pronounced hook to help keep the butt of the rifle in the shoulder when shooting off had but damn did it snag everything!

Last fall while hunting I got fed up with it grabbing my jacket and what not so I took my knife to it then and there. I nipped only about 3/8" off and it's not real pretty but it made a world difference.

Another member removed his At action and put in a MPA chassis a while back. He said the epoxy let go without much effort, and the screws werent locked in with anything. I also noticed that MPA has added it to their inlet dropdown menu.

Recontoured butt pad, I was bothered by this too. I understand it is shaped with the pronounced hook to help keep the butt of the rifle in the shoulder when shooting off had but damn did it snag everything!

Last fall while hunting I got fed up with it grabbing my jacket and what not so I took my knife to it then and there. I nipped only about 3/8" off and it's not real pretty but it made a world difference.

Yeah, I cut the bottom tip off with a razor blade on both my AT and AX. Even when I shot from prone the tip just jabbed me in the chest!

Another member removed his At action and put in a MPA chassis a while back. He said the epoxy let go without much effort, and the screws werent locked in with anything. I also noticed that MPA has added it to their inlet dropdown menu.

I knew about that, and I saw that MPA is offering the AT as an action inlet. I haven't seen if the result of that actually shoots as well or better than a factory AT. It's no secret that there is magic in the bonded action/chassis interface. Removing the epoxy bond is easy, but simply bolting the action to a new chassis loses that magic.

If I did it I would want to try to re-bond it back in. The problem is, I believe a special epoxy is needed to bond two anodized (or Cerakoted) aluminum surfaces. Also, they are bonded in a precise way, and I'm not sure of the exact process.

I'm sure there is a trick to it but I honestly don't think it's anything too special. Bench rest guys have taken to bonding their actions in their stocks for some time. I think the tricky part is finding an epoxy that will let go cleanly when lightly heated and then hold tight otherwise.
    We use epoxy for chemical concrete anchors at work and you got to be careful what you get it on. Doesn't matter if it's smooth painted steel, it won't let go easy.

While this idea is purely hypothetical I think including the MPA style of quick detach barricade stop would be useful.

Yes, the type of epoxy is key. Not much info on the internet on epoxies that join two anodized surfaces. The other question is in what order is the chassis bonded and bolted together, and how is the correct bonding agent thickness achieved. The few different rifles I have seen have been very consistent.

The MPA barricade stop system and new Arca-Swiss "RAT" system is really cool, but honestly I just didn't want to rip that off for the design concept. Could it be done - yes. But in the age of suing consumers for bubble levels and the like, I figured I'd steer clear of those design infringements LOL.

i haven't had any accuracy issues at all with my AT in the mpa. the 4 screws holding the action in place do their job just fine and don't require any help from the epoxy

Love the idea! I'd buy an AT if I could get the ride side folder honestly, I like the look of the concept a lot though!

Jake

Well done. Id certainly be interested in it

Can you link to that thread? I can't seem to find it.

As for the topic at hand, i know the Tempest has somewhat of a mixed view, it's pretty much reminiscent of a 700 footprinted AT/AX. You can pick a tempest and chassis and pretty much have most of the features you desire from AI. Granted as i noted, i can't really guarantee the Tempest will be problem free. I love mine but seems i'm in the minority, at least of those that post about them. I know that's going a bit off topic and yes the AI is one of the best actions around, thought just crossed my mind.

I need to handle an AI, last match i went to i had a couple of guys who had used AIs inquiring about my Tempest. Evidently the bolt lift/recock on the AI is pretty tough?

Last edited:
    Very cool that you took the time to do this, you definitely have a lot of talent as far as graphic design. I would not have known that wasn't a picture of an actual rifle put on a brochure had you not said so.

That said, I would not buy the rifle. For me the biggest reason is that it gets rid of a few features that I really like the AX for from a competition standpoint. I personally think the forend design is perfect, I like the location of the "hump" as you describe it as it makes a perfect barricade stop in the perfect location (a bit forward of the balance point) for me. I know some would prefer a barricade stop at or closer to the balance point, and those individuals would probably be interested in this. Your design also appears to get rid of the AX magazine well with the cutout on the side for getting mags in an out at a lower position, this feature gave me an advantage a couple times.

I think that a lot of people would buy your design though. It would be really cool to see the MPA barricade stop incorporated and Manners/MPA's collaboration is perfect evidence that MPA is willing to work with other companies. I think it would be doable. I do like your flat forend concept and that and the thumb shelf are the two things that I do like about your design

The one thing I would ditch totally is the buttstock redesign, and heres why. 1. I can understand the idea behind it is to get a lower cheek weld to use lower mounts but higher isn't a bad thing. The further the scope is above the barrel the less it will be effected by mirage. The AX forend tube also makes a big difference alone. As long as the measurements are correct for height over bore I haven't personally experienced an issue from having an optic mounted a little higher. Also as soon as you talk about NV bridge and a user is actually using NV it goes out of the window totally. 2. Cost. This would introduce a significant increase in cost to produce vs just using the current AX but, for little or no gain.

That's my $.02 so take it for what it's worth. Again, very cool that you took the time to put this together.

Here is the AIAT in the MPA chassis.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...re-it-is-folks

I put another 55rds thru my AIAT yesterday (it has 675rds thru it now) and I have to say that I think people put way to much emphasis on the bolt lift being heavy in my eyes. My Savage 10FP was heavier than my AIAT is.

Personally, I think the bolt lift is on the edge of too stiff from a competition perspective. At least with my lefty AT, with 2500 rounds on it and at least 2500 dry fires, I still have to either pinch the buttstock when opening the bolt, or (my preferred technique) cam the bolt open with my thumb on top of the stock. There is no way I could open the bolt on a barricade without supporting the rifle unless I wanted it to cant over significantly.

It's definitely better than a Savage lol, but when you see the speed in which guys can cycle typical 90° bolts, I know at least for me, I can't do it that easily with the stiffness of the AI.

Last edited:
    Very cool that you took the time to do this, you definitely have a lot of talent as far as graphic design. I would not have known that wasn't a picture of an actual rifle put on a brochure had you not said so.

That said, I would not buy the rifle. For me the biggest reason is that it gets rid of a few features that I really like the AX for from a competition standpoint. I personally think the forend design is perfect, I like the location of the "hump" as you describe it as it makes a perfect barricade stop in the perfect location (a bit forward of the balance point) for me. I know some would prefer a barricade stop at or closer to the balance point, and those individuals would probably be interested in this. Your design also appears to get rid of the AX magazine well with the cutout on the side for getting mags in an out at a lower position, this feature gave me an advantage a couple times.

I think that a lot of people would buy your design though. It would be really cool to see the MPA barricade stop incorporated and Manners/MPA's collaboration is perfect evidence that MPA is willing to work with other companies. I think it would be doable. I do like your flat forend concept and that and the thumb shelf are the two things that I do like about your design

The one thing I would ditch totally is the buttstock redesign, and heres why. 1. I can understand the idea behind it is to get a lower cheek weld to use lower mounts but higher isn't a bad thing. The further the scope is above the barrel the less it will be effected by mirage. The AX forend tube also makes a big difference alone. As long as the measurements are correct for height over bore I haven't personally experienced an issue from having an optic mounted a little higher. Also as soon as you talk about NV bridge and a user is actually using NV it goes out of the window totally. 2. Cost. This would introduce a significant increase in cost to produce vs just using the current AX but, for little or no gain.

That's my $.02 so take it for what it's worth. Again, very cool that you took the time to put this together.

Thanks for the compliments and the feedback!

As for my graphic design "talents"...let's just say this was made with some creative editing in MS Paint :) The majority of this was in my head after spending hours trying to figure out if I could make my AT or AX exactly what I wanted.

Yes, for me I have found I prefer to have the option to balance the rifle at the magwell, although sometimes when a barricade is stable enough, I like to run it out ahead of the forend. My current AX setup has the flat RRS forend plate, which sort of allows this, but the big issue I have with this is the height of the RRS plate PLUS the height of the scope on the flat top rail adds up to a really high system. I find that with the rifle on top of a Gamechanger, any amount of cant is magnified because of how high the scope is above where the rifle is resting. That's why when I plunk an AR or a "traditional" stocked rifle on a gamechanger it feels so much more stable.

Personally, I think the bolt lift is on the edge of too stiff from a competition perspective. At least with my lefty AT, with 2500 rounds on it and at least 2500 dry fires, I still have to either pinch the buttstock when opening the bolt, or (my preferred technique) cam the bolt open with my thumb on top of the stock. There is no way I could open the bolt on a barricade without supporting the rifle unless I wanted it to cant over significantly.

It's definitely better than a Savage lol, but when you see the speed in which guys can cycle typical 90° bolts, I know at least for me, I can't do it that easily with the stiffness of the AI.

Maybe I need to pay more attention to mine next time I am shooting as I just don't remember it being that stiff to me.

When it comes to bolt lift on my AT it all depends on how I start, it is very much a "run it like you mean it" action. Most actions with a 90* throw have slop in the first few degrees and this helps me cam the striker back with some momentum. The AI has no slop all the way through the throw and if I hesitate for a bit it is hard to lift but if it is worked with a smooth (not necessarily fast) motion it is very easy to open. I find if I work the bolt smoothly I can keep my cheek weld and not lose my target in my scope in many odd positions.

Thanks for the compliments and the feedback!

As for my graphic design "talents"...let's just say this was made with some creative editing in MS Paint :) The majority of this was in my head after spending hours trying to figure out if I could make my AT or AX exactly what I wanted.

Yes, for me I have found I prefer to have the option to balance the rifle at the magwell, although sometimes when a barricade is stable enough, I like to run it out ahead of the forend. My current AX setup has the flat RRS forend plate, which sort of allows this, but the big issue I have with this is the height of the RRS plate PLUS the height of the scope on the flat top rail adds up to a really high system. I find that with the rifle on top of a Gamechanger, any amount of cant is magnified because of how high the scope is above where the rifle is resting. That's why when I plunk an AR or a "traditional" stocked rifle on a gamechanger it feels so much more stable.

You made that with MS Paint? Damn, my skill are even worse than I thought then. Resizing a photo is a major accomplishment for me, but I can draw terrible circles and crooked lines with snapchat lol.

I only have a little experience with the game changer, I recently bought one the weekend of a DMR match and ran it and it worked well with the AR and flat Seekins rail I was using. I could see where the AX chassis could leave a little to be desired with it though. I've always just ran one of the skid plates all the way back on the rail tube portion. It works well while using the hand support area as a barricade stop, gives it a little more bite and the slight padding and additional thickness really eliminates the tendency to roll/cant that the more rounded forend designs have. It works for me though but that doesn't mean there isn't a much better way to skin the cat and that way may very well be your design.

I know it's more of a bandaid but what about something that's removable like the JP Benchrest Forearm Adaptor seen here:

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPHG-BFA

It goes on a picatinny rail and even if it isn't the exact height as the AI forearm it may still be close enough to work well and the bag would easily take up any difference in height as long as its not a lot. It doesn't address your concern of getting the center of gravity lower but it may work better than just the RRS plate.

this is pretty slick, i like it...buddy who does my barrels also runs a large machine shop and we toyed with the idea a while back of making and "upgraded" fore end piece...remove the original one, bolt in the new one with Arca cuts, barricade stop, mpa barricade block holes, built in spigot, flush cups, and probably some other stuff i cant rememeber it all...issue we hit was the fore end piece is bolted AND bonded so it wasnt easy to remove as we thought it would be (read "easy": unscrew and screw on new, very little end user effort)...youd also have to modify the skins to use all the features, and we figured that was a no go for most shooters also...then we got busy doing other stuff and just scrapped the idea lol

thats how i run the bolt usually, it wont cant if you stay on the gun

itll run fast too though...

this is pretty slick, i like it...buddy who does my barrels also runs a large machine shop and we toyed with the idea a while back of making and "upgraded" fore end piece...remove the original one, bolt in the new one with Arca cuts, barricade stop, mpa barricade block holes, built in spigot, flush cups, and probably some other stuff i cant rememeber it all...issue we hit was the fore end piece is bolted AND bonded so it wasnt easy to remove as we thought it would be (read "easy": unscrew and screw on new, very little end user effort)...youd also have to modify the skins to use all the features, and we figured that was a no go for most shooters also...then we got busy doing other stuff and just scrapped the idea lol

I remember your original concept that you posted about a while back. Definitely something that would work but like you said, modifications that would have been a no-go for most guys. Plus I think that was pre-Gamechanger time period, now I think most guys just throw the AT on the GC and run it as is. The only clean factory option at getting rid of the "hump" on the bottom of the AT is the RRS plate, but that runs into the same issue as the AX where it raises up the center of gravity.

If the AT didn't have the damn pockets machined into the lower chassis where it attaches to the action, it would actually be pretty easy to mill the chassis to the magwell like on the AC concept, then replace the forend square tube with something different. You'd run into complications with modifying the skins, but that could be dealt with. I asked AI if they could make me an AT with the pockets deleted...you can guess what the answer was to that.

Morgan, do you see guys being successful with the AT in the MPA chassis? It's interesting and kind of tempting (once you get past the $4300 barreled action part of it). It checks all the boxes that my concept addresses, just with a different buttstock and grip, along with not being bonded.

I remember your original concept that you posted about a while back. Definitely something that would work but like you said, modifications that would have been a no-go for most guys. Plus I think that was pre-Gamechanger time period, now I think most guys just throw the AT on the GC and run it as is. The only clean factory option at getting rid of the "hump" on the bottom of the AT is the RRS plate, but that runs into the same issue as the AX where it raises up the center of gravity.

If the AT didn't have the damn pockets machined into the lower chassis where it attaches to the action, it would actually be pretty easy to mill the chassis to the magwell like on the AC concept, then replace the forend square tube with something different. You'd run into complications with modifying the skins, but that could be dealt with. I asked AI if they could make me an AT with the pockets deleted...you can guess what the answer was to that.

Morgan, do you see guys being successful with the AT in the MPA chassis? It's interesting and kind of tempting (once you get past the $4300 barreled action part of it). It checks all the boxes that my concept addresses, just with a different buttstock and grip, along with not being bonded.

i only know of 2 guys with their AIs in an MPA, both of them in TX and know them personally...they both love it and havent complained of any issues with the rifle in the MPA config...ive thought about getting one myself because i would like a folder and a more vertical grip...i really dont have much use for all the attachments, id be too lazy to carry them around and deal with swapping them out...plus my AI already has the sloped fore end part milled off so i wouldnt be gaining much there, is the main reason i havent actually bought one...i would bed/bond mine back together for sure though, i do that with all my chassis/stocks anyways...even if its not as "permanent" as AIs bond, my bedded chassis and stock rifles shoot just as consistent, as my AI

I just wish I could get a right side folding adjustable stock for my pre-2014 AX. I'd never have a reason to get rid of the gun if I could change that out.

These are not my photos, but for those of you AI PRS shooting guys this may be right up your alley. No modifications and bolts directly to the rifle. There are not a ton of these available, but last I heard there were a handful left. There will be more after the first batch is sold.

I do not work for this company, but will be placing my order soon.

You can reach them here> https://www.facebook.com/IngenuityGunWorks/ if you have questions. (Not my company, don't work for them, just really excited about the product.)

Attachments

• photo72357.jpg
      photo72357.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 42
    • photo72358.jpg
      photo72358.jpg
      93.5 KB · Views: 41
    • photo72359.jpg
      photo72359.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 44
    • photo72360.jpg
      photo72360.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 36
    Last edited:
    These are not my photos, but for those of you AI PRS shooting guys this may be right up your alley. No modifications and bolts directly to the rifle. There are not a ton of these available, but last I heard there were a handful left. There will be more after the first batch is sold.

I do not work for this company, but will be placing my order soon.

You can reach them here> https://www.facebook.com/IngenuityGunWorks/ if you have questions. (Not my company, don't work for them, just really excited about the product.)

Those look like Rem 700 clone rifles, not an AI. Their FB page is unclear what action that AX'ish stock is for.

Looks good!

Only thing I would suggest is a real thumb shelf.

A big gnarly one like the MPA grip/chassis not a dent like the Victor Skins, not bashing on the Victors they did what they could within the constraints of the chassis but since we are making stuff up...put a bigger shelf on it!