• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Accuracy International AT vs Custom rifle for PRS

Youre always always going to see more customs than AI's. Customs are cheaper, and obviously, there are more custom actions collectively than 1 AI manufacturer. But i agree that customs are more purpose built for competition

Impact action: 1250
Foundation stock: 1250
Diamond trigger: 250
Barrel: 350
Chamber: 350

Total: $3450

That’s about the price of a an AT non folder.

The price difference, generally speaking, is negligible between most customs an an AI (unless you want an AX).

Just feels like more because you can buy a custom a piece at a time.

Same thing when people think a tricked out CZ is that much cheaper than a vudoo. In the end it’s close enough that it’s negligable.

My main point is, modern custom rifles don’t fail as much as they used to and the reason it seems like they fail that mich more than an AI is because they outnumber AI’s so much.

Same reason people think vortex goes down more than other optics.

Impact action: 1250
Foundation stock: 1250
Diamond trigger: 250
Barrel: 350
Chamber: 350

Total: $3450

That’s about the price of a an AT non folder.

The price difference, generally speaking, is negligible between most customs an an AI (unless you want an AX).

Just feels like more because you can buy a custom a piece at a time.

Same thing when people think a tricked out CZ is that much cheaper than a vudoo. In the end it’s close enough that it’s negligable.

My main point is, modern custom rifles don’t fail as much as they used to and the reason it seems like they fail that mich more than an AI is because they outnumber AI’s so much.

Same reason people think vortex goes down more than other optics.

I'm not disagreeing with that. Even though a full on top tier custom costs as much as a base AT, you cant piece that AI together over a period of time like u can a custom. $3500 over a course of a year build time is easier to obtain for some than dropping the same amount all at once. Not to mention, u listed arguably the most expensive components available. How many big horn origins or ARC nukes do u see in a $350 bravo or $800 manners with a green mountain or a barrel nut prefit on it or something equivalent? Probably more (unless in Oklahoma, lol) than you do impacts on foundations or J Allen's. My point is, there are way more options of custom actions than there are AI's. You can start with just a custom action and then upgrade from there. That's not an option for an AI. I have customs too and honestly have never had a failure of any sort in a match so I agree with you on the reliability comment. Idk if anyone says that AI rifles are the ultimate comp rifle. They're not.

Google-Fu brought this thread up, so sorta necro-mancing it rather than a new thread.

General brainfart right now is the same boat: a semi-budget build to get shooting faster (origin BA from keystone, mdt or krg chassis, plus trigger) would get me going vs keep squirreling away the funds for an AT.

The flip side is I have wanted an AT, and don’t know if I will be satisfied until I “scratch that itch”. It will take me longer to save for the AT versus said budget custom route.

Either one I choose would be a range toy, and maybe, just maybe, a few comps if I get the time. I’ve got hunting rifles covered, just nothing “precision” oriented besides my CZ 22 will hold me over until I figure out which way to go.