• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT-XC

Are AT-X bolts not running up to par vs previous production runs of the AW/AT/AX action?
For my sample size of 1 each (22 AT-X and 15 AT), no. The bolt lift on the 15 AT is noticeably smoother and lighter, and it hasn't been used more than the AT-X. I'm not whining about heavy bolt lift, I'd just like the action to feel as nice. Looking at the 2 side by side I think something changed in how they're made, I can't even install the bolt of my AT into my AT-X the bolt shroud is slightly too high, the AT-X bolt will fit in the AT though.

Never had issues getting parts for my AI, but I guess I called Mile High & didn't think about Cabela's or Bass Pro. I like the 60* bolt on the AI's & Tikka because I've got large hands. The 90* on my 700's & Defiance have a lighter lift with 50% more throw, it's physics. Try a bit of lube on the firing pin cocking ramps on the bolt, it does wonders. The reliability & function is why I'm an AI fan, the added safety is a bonus. BTW still running an old 15 AX308 & AXMC so I'm interested in this new model but don't know if it's that much better than my AX for $6500. The 223 bolt I wouldn't hold my breath for, kinda like the CheyTec bolt for my 50ELR that was supposed to be available a couple years ago now.

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
Never had issues getting parts for my AI, but I guess I called Mile High & didn't think about Cabela's or Bass Pro. I like the 60* bolt on the AI's & Tikka because I've got large hands. The 90* on my 700's & Defiance have a lighter lift with 50% more throw, it's physics. Try a bit of lube on the firing pin cocking ramps on the bolt, it does wonders. The reliability & function is why I'm an AI fan, the added safety is a bonus. BTW still running an old 15 AX308 & AXMC so I'm interested in this new model but don't know if it's that much better than my AX for $6500. The 223 bolt I wouldn't hold my breath for, kinda like the CheyTec bolt for my 50ELR that was supposed to be available a couple years ago now.
A very smug and arrogant pot shot. I get it--you are cool.

And absolutely missed the point. Its about part availability. Its not about a specific store. And also price. Everyone has caught up to AI in terms of reliability. I gotta Quote for 300 Norma in a Terminus 2700, slap it in an AI Chasis and I have an AXSR on the cheap with my trigger of choice. And the bolts are available (half cost) as are my choice of triggers from multiple retailers. Ever been out in the Red Shit of Oklahoma(TM) Lots of actions doing just fine out there. How about a Cadex and now all my rails and shit are $20 (mlock) not $100 and I don't have to scrounge for them.

Cheapest sling attachment shipped to my door COSTS MORE THAN THE SLING in keyslot. Think about that--I can get Jacob's RO sling for LESS than it costs to attach the FUCKING SLING.

Btw I did call Mile High (you know where I BOUGH IT!), Bison Tactical, Europtic.

Wait listed for multiple parts.

Next time try reading comprehension instead of smug attitude. It doesn't help your case at all. I drank the kool aid. I tasted like shit in my mouth.

Did people actually buy the AT? The AXSA was $6500 10 years ago.
Apparently cause they are contemplating keeping it. It's honestly the one I want, but I am admittedly a poor and can barely afford to keep up on rebarreling my main rifle.
I also can't understand how AI cost what it does. I could do a Terminus, Bighorn or any other prefit capable action and a Bartlien barrel screwed on for max $2500 and put it in a chassis of my choice for less than a AT. Or buy a GAP. Doesn't mean I don't want a AT.

Reactions: BurtG
Apparently cause they are contemplating keeping it. It's honestly the one I want, but I am admittedly a poor and can barely afford to keep up on rebarreling my main rifle.
I also can't understand how AI cost what it does. I could do a Terminus, Bighorn or any other prefit capable action and a Bartlien barrel screwed on for max $2500 and put it in a chassis of my choice for less than a AT. Or buy a GAP. Doesn't mean I don't want a AT.

$6500 for a base rifle is pretty nuts.

The price is bad, if demand is soft dealers might let them go in the upper-$5k range. And based on the threads, demand looks soft.
I'll make the prediction that they will end up not discontinuing the AXSA line. They may tweak it and call it something else, but I bet it doesn't go away.

AI has never been a cost leader, and I don't think that's a problem for AI. I think people were generally accepting of the AI cost premium (historically). But this isn't 2008 anymore (or even 2015), and I think the AI cost premium is going to come under pressure. Substitute products have caught up to AI, and in some regards surpassed them.

Back in the day it was a PITA getting a stock bedded and inlet for a DBM, working over an action (adding a pic rail, opening up it up for a DBM, truing, adding a recoil lug, upgrading the extractor and so on...), replacing the factory barrel, upgrading the trigger. You would do all that and it still wouldn't be as problem free as an AI, but it would cost as much. And it wouldn't switch barrels as well as an AI (well the post-14 AIs anyway). AI's were unique products.

Now... Anybody can throw together a problem free rifle for half the cost of an AI. Pick your action, pick your stock/chassis, pick your trigger. Pick your caliber, pick your bolt face. Switch barrel? No problem. Lightweight for hunting? No problem. Heavy for comps? No problem. 223 for low cost trigger time? no problem.

Again, AI doesn't need to be a cost leader to be successful. I'm not trying to armchair quarterback their business. I'm not trying to tear them down. They have made some of the coolest bolt action rifles ever. I'm happy to pay a premium for the AI cool factor... But $6500 for a short action rifle that I can't change bolts faces on in 2024? With a 3 piece, non-bonded chassis? It's not really a unique product, I'm having a hard time seeing the value... And I'm trying to see the value. By the time you put a scope on it, you'll be close to 10 grand. You can buy a high-performance motorcycle for 10K. I think we've jumped the shark on this precision rifle stuff. And I think that's the all the "haters" in this thread are saying.

AI has never been a cost leader, and I don't think that's a problem for AI. I think people were generally accepting of the AI cost premium (historically). But this isn't 2008 anymore (or even 2015), and I think the AI cost premium is going to come under pressure. Substitute products have caught up to AI, and in some regards surpassed them.

Back in the day it was a PITA getting a stock bedded and inlet for a DBM, working over an action (adding a pic rail, opening up it up for a DBM, truing, adding a recoil lug, upgrading the extractor and so on...), replacing the factory barrel, upgrading the trigger. You would do all that and it still wouldn't be as problem free as an AI, but it would cost as much. And it wouldn't switch barrels as well as an AI (well the post-14 AIs anyway). AI's were unique products.

Now... Anybody can throw together a problem free rifle for half the cost of an AI. Pick your action, pick your stock/chassis, pick your trigger. Pick your caliber, pick your bolt face. Switch barrel? No problem. Lightweight for hunting? No problem. Heavy for comps? No problem. 223 for low cost trigger time? no problem.

Again, AI doesn't need to be a cost leader to be successful. I'm not trying to armchair quarterback their business. I'm not trying to tear them down. They have made some of the coolest bolt action rifles ever. I'm happy to pay a premium for the AI cool factor... But $6500 for a short action rifle that I can't change bolts faces on in 2024? With a 3 piece, non-bonded chassis? It's not really a unique product, I'm having a hard time seeing the value... And I'm trying to see the value. By the time you put a scope on it, you'll be close to 10 grand. You can buy a high-performance motorcycle for 10K. I think we've jumped the shark on this precision rifle stuff. And I think that's the all the "haters" in this thread are saying.
They produce the most sexiest rifles imo. I’ll give them that.

Writing was on the wall the whole time?
IMG_4295.jpeg

At least the axsr doesn't have the erect penises like the at-x. They are kind of, um, flaccid. 😂😂

This is an odd move by AI. Their unique claim to fame was being the turn-key, bomb-proof package that you could ship to any war zone with confidence. If AI is going the more competitive/modular direction with the non-bonded actions, I would expect them to be selling bare actions like their competition does. I also really don't understand getting rid of the AT chassis option for the new action design. The AT was the gateway AI for lots of people because it saved $1000 on a rifle vs the AX chassis and if one could easily unbolt the chassis to upgrade later, why not offer an "affordable" base model?

And absolutely missed the point. Its about part availability. Its not about a specific store. And also price. Everyone has caught up to AI in terms of reliability. I gotta Quote for 300 Norma in a Terminus 2700, slap it in an AI Chasis and I have an AXSR on the cheap with my trigger of choice. And the bolts are available (half cost) as are my choice of triggers from multiple retailers. Ever been out in the Red Shit of Oklahoma(TM) Lots of actions doing just fine out there. How about a Cadex and now all my rails and shit are $20 (mlock) not $100 and I don't have to scrounge for them.

Cheapest sling attachment shipped to my door COSTS MORE THAN THE SLING in keyslot. Think about that--I can get Jacob's RO sling for LESS than it costs to attach the FUCKING SLING.

Btw I did call Mile High (you know where I BOUGH IT!), Bison Tactical, Europtic.

Next time try reading comprehension instead of smug attitude. It doesn't help your case at all. I drank the kool aid. I tasted like shit in my mouth.
All the AI's I've bought had sling mounts with the multiple pic rails included. I get it, if you don't like it. Sale it, it's one of the few guns that hold their value.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I'd like to know what the difference between the AT action and the new AT-XC action footprint.
I know the new action has 6 screws rather than 4, but it 4 of those screws are in the same location as the original then the old chassis options will still be ompatible cwith the new action.

As much I agree with many of your posts in many forums, I am kind of laughing at the statement
Everyone has caught up to AI in terms of reliability.
I'd like to see some hard data to corroborate that claim. Please show me a "custom rifle that has gone through the testing and field exposure of an AI". You're better than that statement.

AI is expensive...no shit. There's a reason and spare me the whole argument of military contract pricing is incredibly inflated.

Last edited:

Would it make people feel better if everyone agrees the price does not reflect value? There always is diminishing returns, or in this case for many the product is no better than something of lesser cost????
Cool, then for fucks sake don't buy one, problem/argument solved👍
Thorbeast, this is not a go at you. Time I finnished and realised how it may come across, couldn't be fucked retyping!!!🤣

Reactions: Thorbeast
So you're buying a Sako TRG?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Faark, for what they cost, AI are amateurs!!!🤣
In saying that, what I am into $$$ wise in my AI is criminal.... Certainly no more servicable for MY needs than my TL3 etc.
Choice and need, are certainly not related in anyway when it comes to this stuff!!! Mostly..........

Quite a few were wondering what changes would make the bolt lift different. Here's one specific spot. Top pic is current action, bottom is new action.

1706416294919.png

1706416307180.png

Not sure how much more info has been added to the thread. Barrels confirmed to be interchangeable with past AT, AX, ATX rifles for the new AT-XC.

Video should start at the AI part:

Sounds promising that the new action screw holes are the same patern as the old , with use the addition of two more holes.

Reactions: hafejd30
TLDR...

Key information from that XRing video is that:
* Barrels are backwards compatible between AT-X and AT-XC, same thread design
* Magnum bolts will be made for the AT-XC action, not the current AT-X

This is an odd move by AI. Their unique claim to fame was being the turn-key, bomb-proof package that you could ship to any war zone with confidence. If AI is going the more competitive/modular direction with the non-bonded actions, I would expect them to be selling bare actions like their competition does. I also really don't understand getting rid of the AT chassis option for the new action design. The AT was the gateway AI for lots of people because it saved $1000 on a rifle vs the AX chassis and if one could easily unbolt the chassis to upgrade later, why not offer an "affordable" base model?
Well, pure speculation but...

If you are busy and have limited manufacturing capacity then you put through the high margin stuff to start?

Question for you guys with the quick change barrel versions. Do they return to zero ?
Had the 300PRC barrel off the AXSR last week, gave it a scrub. Screwed the suppressor back on, screwed the barrel in, torqued it down 49in lb... Fired 3 fouling shots of box ammo.

Hand loads
3 round group (.331 MOA), mean point of impact .15ish MIL left of aiming point, made the minor correction.
3 round group (.446 MOA) bang on.

This rifle / barrel / optic / ammo combo is very consistent.

I find barrels return to zero but the first shot with the barrel on is 0.2 mil low then all other shots are on zero.

I find barrels return to zero but the first shot with the barrel on is 0.2 mil low then all other shots are on zero.
Ooh, this gives me an idea. I'm going to start a data collection thread to see what we can see.

1) AI Cold Bore vs subsequent shots.

2) Return to zero after install.

Reactions: TylerN
Ooh, this gives me an idea. I'm going to start a data collection thread to see what we can see.

Same chat as the Blaser R8 really. "Return to zero" is subjective so asking a pure hunter a lot of the time isn't that helpful and most of them over here can't shoot worth a stuff anyway so wouldn't notice if it didn't :)

The better "test" would be to track 10 or so CB/CCB shots then sit there to remove/replace the barrel for 10-I would bet money if you posted the pics without saying what one saw that nobody could tell any difference.

You're hyper focusing on the competition side as well as the bonding issue. Bonding was done as it was a work around for the ability to machine chassis in the past. Things have gotten better over time and bonding is no longer required.

For example, the AXSR is not bonded and is not "modular" and is just about as bomb proof as you can get. No one considers the AXSR a comp gun or modular, or any of those other things. All they have done with the AT-XC is do the same thing as an AXSR in a short action.

Also throw cleaning into the mix. I find a barrel that I've cleaned will take a few rounds to return to zero. When doing load development now I foul a barrel with 5 rounds first before starting.

Same chat as the Blaser R8 really. "Return to zero" is subjective so asking a pure hunter a lot of the time isn't that helpful and most of them over here can't shoot worth a stuff anyway so wouldn't notice if it didn't :)
Lol. True, that's why I requested pics of targets.

Scott S was there this morning. Straight from him, eventual discontinuance of the sa to commercial sales, but he said they are looking hard at the AT as its so popular. Very interesting to speak with, very informative.
Any speculation as to what “looking hard at the AT as it’s so very popular” means?

Looking hard like “We were going to discontinue the AT before re realized how popular it is”?

Or something else?

Speculate away…

-Stan

The better "test" would be to track 10 or so CB/CCB shots then sit there to remove/replace the barrel for 10-I would bet money if you posted the pics without saying what one saw that nobody could tell any difference.
It’s been done before and posted on the hide when the AXMC came out.

A few guys went to the range and swapped barrels for what must have taken all day.

I forget the outcome but it was “fine” and there wasn’t much drama to the thread so I guessing the data was good enough lol

RTZ for me has been good enough for a few cold bore mile and 2,000 yard first round impacts for me when re-installing the barrel from earlier in the day. I have confidence in the system and it is repeatable when swapping barrels like others have mentioned.

Edit: Above is on the MC and SR platforms with Norma Mag.

Last edited:
It’s been done before and posted on the hide when the AXMC came out.

A few guys went to the range and swapped barrels for what must have taken all day.

I forget the outcome but it was “fine” and there wasn’t much drama to the thread so I guessing the data was good enough lol
I did that when I got my AT and then the AXMC. I seldom ever see more than a 0.1 mil of difference wrt to RTZ.

As far as CB, it is also similar. However, one of the items of data that resulted from these experiments was a higher torque value than the 49 inch pounds that AI recommends. I use 68 inch pounds to clamp the barrel.

Reactions: BurtG and brianf
Any speculation as to what “looking hard at the AT as it’s so very popular” means?

Looking hard like “We were going to discontinue the AT before re realized how popular it is”?

Or something else?

Speculate away…

-Stan
The one rep said on Tuesday that the AT would eventually be LE/MIL only. Scott S. said on Thursday that they are looking hard at that and since it's so popular to keep it in the commercial line up. Not me speculating, words from them at the booth.

Reactions: stanley_white