• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AX small or large rifle firing pin?

What I don't understand is why not just send all of your bolts to LRI for the conversion and be done with it forever! It's way less money than buying new bolt housings and/or firing pin assemblies.
Screenshot_20180619-184059.png

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why not just send all of your bolts to LRI for the conversion and be done with it forever! It's way less money than buying new bolt housings and/or firing pin assemblies.View attachment 6914263

because it pisses me off to have to cut on an $8500 rifle to fix a problem the manufacturer is well aware of. And also I have concerns about durability of the bushing.

Reactions: UK Basketball
I know what will fix it (an SFP bolt), but that’s not an option, so I replaced the barrel and ordered a different rifle to shoot 6.5 in. It pisses me off, but it is what it is.

A SFP bolt is an option and you know exactly how to get it, but you won't do it. There's numerous shops which will bush your bolt but instead your solution was to just complain about it and spend thousands of dollars on a 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun. I can only imagine the posts that are coming when you get that and don't understand the limitations of gas guns. If you're not willing to experiment with some other powders, primers, and brass to try to figure out why your loads are piercing, good luck loading for a gas gun.

It wouldn't cost you more than a grand to get a firing pin assembly and have it bushed. Your issue would be resolved and AI would no longer be assholes.

because it pisses me off to have to cut on an $8500 rifle to fix a problem the manufacturer is well aware of. And also I have concerns about durability of the bushing.

Dude nothing is going to make you happy. If everything is so difficult you should just sell your guns and drink beer in a recliner. It's a fucking hobby, there's people that would be happy just having the luxury of being able to purchase a $8500 rifle to cut on so don't be so salty.

Your desire is a SFP bolt to better shoot high pressure rounds. You already own the 308 bolt body, if AI offers a SFP assembly it's going to be $1K + most likely. A firing pin assembly is half, bushing the bolt is a few hundred bucks. You call up the shop to get a quote and let them know the parts are on the way, you ship them your bolt and a check, you drop ship a firing pin assembly, and a few weeks later a SFP bolt appears at your door. Problem solved. I don't see what's so difficult about that.

A SFP bolt is an option and you know exactly how to get it, but you won't do it. There's numerous shops which will bush your bolt but instead your solution was to just complain about it and spend thousands of dollars on a 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun. I can only imagine the posts that are coming when you get that and don't understand the limitations of gas guns. If you're not willing to experiment with some other powders, primers, and brass to try to figure out why your loads are piercing, good luck loading for a gas gun.

It wouldn't cost you more than a grand to get a firing pin assembly and have it bushed. Your issue would be resolved and AI would no longer be assholes.

For some reason, you imagine I just started loading and shooting precision rifles last week, or something. I’m fully aware the gun I just ordered won’t shoot quarter-MOA like my AI can. I do expect for it not to pierce primers, and if it does, I’ll shove IT up LMT’s ass too.

ETA: and I bet it won’t, because LMT uses an .068” firing pin.

Last edited:
Sorry everyone I didn't meant to flame the fire here I was just passing along the information I had been given.

As stated earlier I have a short action SFP AX that I run my 6.5x47 etc in so I don't really NEED a SFP bolt for my AXMC as I also already have the .308 conversion for it but I wouldn't mind one either.