• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AXMC for first rifle - Am I crazy?

To add to the post above.

If you go with an AI, you don’t have to ever worry about what hot new Remington 700 pattern accessory comes out. You’re not chasing the next greatest thing. You’re married to the rifle and all of its pros and cons.

That’s something I look forward to when I get an AT.

Reactions: Luvman and jim996
Thanks to everyone for the advice here. It's been really helpful. I think the long action is the way to go, even despite the wait for it......I've researched all the ranges within 2.5 hour drive of my house and I'm fairly lucky living in the sparsely populated north of the UK.......I can access the following....

Military range with up 1200 metre falling metal plates - 30 miles (up to .300 win mag, not sure if they allow .338)
Civilian range with 600 metre paper targets - 30 miles
Private range (my club) with gongs and paper targets 550 metres - 60 miles (.300 and .338 fine)
1 Mile long private range with gongs every 100 metres - 90 miles....(up to .50 cal)
3000 metre military range with hard targets (including old tanks to shoot at :) ) 95 miles.....(up to .50 cal)
1000 metre benchrest range - 130 miles

I think the long action is the sensible choice! Glad to hear they shoot as well as the AX308....

You are correct in your conclusion.
For the ranges you mention you NEED to get the AXMC because if you want to have fun with the 1 mile range and the 3000m range, you'll need to step it up to the magnum and super magnum cartridges.
Also you might find some of the magnum cartridges pushing heavy bullets fast enable you to shoot the 1200m and 1000m a bit easier during seasons where there is a lot of wind.

Close on an AI no-go gauge? Or close on PTG (other company) gauge?

If you have an original AI barrel in one of the military type chamberings and are using other brand (not the super expensive AI branded) gauges they generally will close on both the go gauge and the nogo gauge but will not close on the field gauge. The reason for this is the field gauge is the actual maximum allowed specs and they choose it so that you have the capability to fire the widest range of ammunition, in the widest range of temperatures as well as with dirt, moisture or other such things possibly getting their way in the action.

When the fine talcum powder sand is blowing hard and the skinnies are charging at you, you want your rifle to go chamber and bang every time and not throw a fit because it's perfect little chamber has too much dust up it's crack.

Has anyone owned both the short action and long action rifles. I would be interested in hearing peoples comparisons of them shooting short action? Most of my shooting is going to be target based up to 1000 or 1200 yards. My gut says the AX308 is probably the nicer rifle to fire short action?

I do have a 2500 yard range within 85 miles of home though so I would have somewhere to let the .300 or .338 stretch it's legs but maybe only a couple of times a year.....
I have had both the AIAT and now have the AXMC. I loved them both and wish I could have kept them both, but I had to sell the AT to have funds for the AXMC. That being said the AXMC is very nice. If you only shoot up to 1200 yards, I would say without a doubt go short action. BUT you say here you have access to a 2500 yard range. That changes the whole ballgame. Once you get use to shooting at 1200 yards, you will want to keep going farther and farther. Trust me. Definitely go with the AXMC for that very reason.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
Devil's advocate here. Do you guys think AI is due for a refresh of their rifles? I just remember AI coming out with the AIAT/AXMC 4-5 years ago... how long did the offerings before those stick around for? Figured they may make some improvements in terms of rail interface (Maybe going to the mainstream MLOK) and offering a SFP? Maybe even some weight savings?

Devil's advocate here. Do you guys think AI is due for a refresh of their rifles? I just remember AI coming out with the AIAT/AXMC 4-5 years ago... how long did the offerings before those stick around for? Figured they may make some improvements in terms of rail interface (Maybe going to the mainstream MLOK) and offering a SFP? Maybe even some weight savings?

Frankly, the only thing I see wrong with AI is the use of keymod. I can't afford another right now, and my AT will likely serve me for decades to come, but unless AI updates to at least offering MLOK as an option, I may never go above the AT. I'm sure time could change that, but I don't see the AT failing me any time soon, so I can wait. :)

Aside from that, what is there to change? Maybe lighten them up a bit? Add a thumb shelf on the stock skins (though Victor Co., and now Accuracy Obsession, appear to have that covered)? I could still be in the honeymoon phase, but I'm completely happy with mine so far!

Yeah I thought about that as well....companies are always updating their models just like buying cars......

I’m not a huge fan of buying the latest model of anything though....if AI brought out a new model tomorrow the demand would be huge, the waiting times which are already long would get even longer and the price would inevitably increase (I’m already way over what I think I should be spending). You also run the risk of a potential recall or issue with anything newly designed while any bugs are ironed out in it etc......

Reactions: Basher
Yeah I thought about that as well....companies are always updating their models just like buying cars......

I’m not a huge fan of buying the latest model of anything though....if AI brought out a new model tomorrow the demand would be huge, the waiting times which are already long would get even longer and the price would inevitably increase (I’m already way over what I think I should be spending). You also run the risk of a potential recall or issue with anything newly designed while any bugs are ironed out in it etc......

Bingo. All reasons why I am VERY rarely an early adopter of anything.

I've just ordered AXMC long action in Flat Dark Earth, chambered in .308. The rifle is a factory order with it being in .308 rather than .300 or .338

Now the long wait begins......

Thanks a lot to everyone on who has contributed to this discussion and helped me make the right decision...........

I've just ordered AXMC long action in Flat Dark Earth, chambered in .308. The rifle is a factory order with it being in .308 rather than .300 or .338

Now the long wait begins......

Thanks a lot to everyone on who has contributed to this discussion and helped me make the right decision...........

Just received my AI AXMC, 300 Win Mag, Dark Earth. Excellent quality. When the Missus saw it her remark was "Bad Ass". Guess it is a keeper.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Just received my AI AXMC, 300 Win Mag, Dark Earth. Excellent quality. When the Missus saw it her remark was "Bad Ass". Guess it is a keeper.

If my missus ever sees the invoice the remark will be "Divorce"

Final question folks on the MOA rail you would recommend for the AXMC. The rifle will come with a 30 MOA rail and I'm fitting an S&B 5-25 x 56 PM2.

Most of my shooting will be inside 1200 yards but I will go out to 2000 metres on the long range. My gut is saying just go for a zero MOA Spurh mount and the internal adjustment of the scope will be sufficient but wanted to hear opinions on if I should ad a further 10MOA in the rail?

Thanks

30 is no issue with a S&B you will get a ton of elevation with it, more than enough for 1200.

Spuhr does make a 10MOA for the AXMC so you get the maximum 40MOA as guys will run with a 338 and S&B

30MOA if i remember right gives you between 18 and 21 Mils, the 40 will give you as close to 26 mils as you can get

Reactions: jim996
My choice is between a 0 MOA mount (so 30 in the rail) and a 10.3 MOA Sphurh mount (giving a total of 40.3 with the rail) I think both will work well but is there any impact on sight picture with an S&B PM2 at close range (100-300m) with me going for the higher option?

My choice is between a 0 MOA mount (so 30 in the rail) and a 10.3 MOA Sphurh mount (giving a total of 40.3 with the rail) I think both will work well but is there any impact on sight picture with an S&B PM2 at close range (100-300m) with me going for the higher option?

No

Well a good few weeks on and I’m still waiting for the rifle. Sporting. Services are saying Sep/Oct delivery, wait is killing me

Still waiting.......Zzzzzzzzz......come on AI how long does it take to make a rifle????????

Anyway bought a Beretta 690 12 bore in the meantime and been really getting into shooting clays........

Question for you AI owners.....which Bore guide do you use for the AXMC fitted with a .308 barrel?

I have a Cadex Defence Kraken and use a Dewey ABS-3S - .30-8mm Caliber Adjustable Bore Saver Rod Guide for Scoped Rifles for the .308 . I'm pretty sure the bore guide is agnostic of make. Not sure what calibers you bought but if you have .338 Lapua barrel as well then this one: Dewey ABS-4S - .338-.358 Caliber Adjustable Bore Saver Rod Guide for Scoped Rifles

She's arrived!!! Picking up from the dealer tomorrow morning!! Feeling great / Feeling poor

IMG_1279.JPG

Factory order, I wanted long action with the .308 barrel as I don't have the magnum calibres on my licence yet but will be able to upgrade to them in the future......20 week wait.....

Reactions: Basher
I think you'll really like it.

Now just throw an Elite Iron bipod on it and you'll be all set.

In the past 25 years I have trained, deployed with and owned an M40A1, M40A5, and a MK13 Mod 7. Inasmuch, I can say that my AXMC is by far not only the most accurate rifle I’ve owned, but the most versatile as well.

And yes, I put the commemorative S&B on it with the medallion covering up the IUID tag because it was 2K less than one without it lol.

xpbgch.jpg

Chardonnay - what is the commemorative? What does the fancy medallion look like?

Chardonnay - what is the commemorative? What does the fancy medallion look like?

It’s the PSR Commemortive one, I’ll post a pic tomorrow if you can’t find one on google, but it’s gaudy AF and you don’t want to remove because if you do.... this is the horror you’ll find:

2mrczlh.jpg

Just wanted to update this thread. Got the .338 barrel a few weeks ago and hit the 36 inch gong at a mile 5 times with it second time out...........1780 yards! The ELDM285 just cruises out there......

Awesome rifle. Yes cost a lot of money but that first hit on the mile gong was a definite bucket list moment!

Go and buy it! I bought an AXMC setup in 308win. Just got a 338lm kit and I’m still in love with it! I open the safe once in a while just to have a look at it.

Best purchase I did (rifle and shooting wise) and I don’t think I’ll ever regret it!

shoots like a laser beam and you have a lot of accessories and ways to set it up.

get it :)