• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Bolt Lift Weight

Sinper101

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
I just got my new AT, super excited. the bolt cycles smooth as butter, but find my bolt lift is extremely heavy. I don't know if that's just me or it's how AI rifles are.

I know that they're not light, but I feel mine's unusually heavy. But I never got my hands on another AI before. Base on all the videos I watched on youtube. they all seems lighter than mine.

I would see them put their thumb on top of the stock and use top side of the index finger to open up the bolt with not much effort. some use two fingers(index&middle) slightly lift up the bolt. they look smooth, nice and slow. I couldn't do either of those with my AT. I would need to use my whole hand to hold the knob to open that bolt with so much effort.

Have anyone test the bolt lifting weight with a trigger gauge? How heavy is yours?

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

I know, right?!..... I think that heavy lift is what AI aficionados call smoothness.

@Supersubes I can't help myself 😆

But seriously, it's just undeniable cocking ramp geometry that is a necessary reality on 3 lug actions. It is what it is if you want to shoot an AI.
I know you can’t buddy! Agreed on the cam angle.

OP, is this a new or used gun? Either way, pull the striker out and make sure everything is lubed. Cocking cam, shroud lugs, a light coat on the spring and pin etc.

Don’t you dare question the superiority and genius of the AI rifle!
70ADD7B7-752F-484C-98C3-4B5B37E28A40.jpeg

I’ve shot an AX in 6.5CM
Nice rifle.
I like the old school AI’s and their more poors friendly prices.
The AE I shot fit me well.

I'm just busting your balls bud

OP some of the short actions need to be worked in a bit. It will lighten up some one you get to shooting it

Reactions: Steel head
There was a time when you coulda stole a AW here. I think they’re getting about the same money as a used AT these days. Save your clams for an AW though, you need AW mags.
Yea, prices on AW’s have certainly gone up.
I’m hoping next year is better financially, an AE in 260 gives me a stiffy.

Even on the first round fired my AX the bolt lift was not as heavy as I think you are describing. It's firm/solid feeling but not at all difficult to run. I'm not particularly strong either. It is a heavier lift than the long action, very old and worn in R700 I've got. I expect that given its new and it does in 60 degrees what the 700 does in 90. If you are local to an AI armorer perhaps have them take a look at it.

Work on technique where your thumb is on top of the stock. This gives you more leverage and also keeps the rifle from torquing to the side.

Technique will make it “smoother,” but it’ll never be light. On a cheap Walmart luggage scale with the strap, my AI is about 11/12lb before it starts lifting.

With proper technique, it gets better.

Reactions: izrafil
This was my experience as well. I never had the chance to run the bolt on an A.I. before I bought my AX308. Bolt is smooth, lift is heavyish but not bad. I was kind of surprised after reading everything about the bolt operation on here and how everyone says its pure sex. Lift on my Impact is way way lighter (I know its a 2 lug). I think its smoother too. Lift on my RPR is lighter as well.

Don‘t get me wrong, everything about my AX308 is awesome so far. I have no problem with the bolt operation, just comparing with what other actions I have in the safe. It is my most prized firearm and would be the last to ever go.

I forgot I polished the part where the bolt cams off/into the action. Was just running it next to my Lone Peak. Both are smooth.

The lone peak registers 4lbs lift. The AI is 7-8lbs. Measured with shitty luggage scale with strap.

I was kind of surprised after reading everything about the bolt operation on here and how everyone says its pure sex.

Really? @Supersubes Do you think maybe it's a little oversold on this forum? Especially if you lay down and run the bolt on a high quality custom?
Oversold, no. Plenty here have said the opposite. Seems when somebody says “smooth” though, many in the crowd interpret that as “light”, which isn’t the same of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Timo Turl and CuTm
@reubenski almost every time this comes up I go out and work the bolt on my AW. Each time I love it. I’ve no gripe with any of these, and if classify all of them as smooth. I have some other customs like the Gunwerks GLR and GRB’s (also nice), but they’re just bare actions.

2934F936-CDCD-4234-86BA-7E326628743A.jpeg

I was kind of surprised after reading everything about the bolt operation on here and how everyone says its pure sex.

Really? @Supersubes Do you think maybe it's a little oversold on this forum? Especially if you lay down and run the bolt on a high quality custom?

That's a matter of perspective and preference. Some confirmation bias sprinkled in as well.

Personally I would take my Mausingfield bolt lift and close over an AI any day of the week, but again that's my preference.

Sometimes the AI rhetoric gets really strong on here, but I can see why people love their AI's. It's a great platform, just not for me.

@reubenski almost every time this comes up I go out and work the bolt on my AW. Each time I love it. I’ve no gripe with any of these, and if classify all of them as smooth. I have some other customs like the Gunwerks GLR and GRB’s (also nice), but they’re just bare actions.

View attachment 7377348

That in itself doesn't tell the whole story. How the action and trigger interfaces plays a big part in it as well.

The TL3 I briefly had with a TT trigger had a much heavier bolt lift then 3 lbs, closer to 10 if I was to approximate. Obviously that was a victim of tolerance stacking and an unoptimized trigger to action interface.

But everyone's experience is going to be a bit different with actions, most people don't optimize or "time" their triggers to their actions.

I forgot I polished the part where the bolt cams off/into the action. Was just running it next to my Lone Peak. Both are smooth.

The lone peak registers 4lbs lift. The AI is 7-8lbs. Measured with shitty luggage scale with strap.
And you polished the bolt knob?

That in itself doesn't tell the whole story. How the action and trigger interfaces plays a big part in it as well.

The TL3 I briefly had with a TT trigger had a much heavier bolt lift then 3 lbs, closer to 10 if I was to approximate. Obviously that was a victim of tolerance stacking and an unoptimized trigger to action interface.

But everyone's experience is going to be a bit different with actions, most people don't optimize or "time" their triggers to their actions.
That was part of my point, the weight required to open/cock just one element. For me it means little, as long as there’s actual smoothness.

I built all of those guns myself, and there are no trigger interference issues. That particular TL3 is out of the first batch, when they NP3 coated the bolts. It’s dang nice for sure.
Too bad about your TL3. Did you ever swap that trigger? I’d have tossed that TT in a heartbeat.

Reactions: kthomas
That was part of my point, the weight required to open/cock just one element. For me it means little, as long as there’s actual smoothness.

I built all of those guns myself, and there are no trigger interference issues. That particular TL3 is out of the first batch, when they NP3 coated the bolts. It’s dang nice for sure.
Too bad about your TL3. Did you ever swap that trigger? I’d have tossed that TT in a heartbeat.

I figured you knew as much, just providing clarification for others reading.

I bought that TL3 for the wife, loved the features of that action. Didn't get rid of it because of the trigger, I knew it was an easy to fix solution. However, the wife didn't appreciate the "slop" of the TL3, so I sold that rifle to a friend and bought her a LP Fuzion.

I still think the TL3 is a great action, just wasn't for the wife.

Heavier bolt lift..or close? Did you time the cocking piece?

Both. Never timed it, sure would've benefited from it though. Didn't even bother going through that exercise since the wife couldn't get past the "slop" of the TL3.

Guys..really appreciate all the input!!! So I also test mine with the luggage scale..and it runs about 10/11 lbs. but I swear to god in those videos, they look effortless. I guess it is what it is..I still love my AI tho. I was hoping it'll get a little better over time. but some of you crashed my dream alredy.

Guys..really appreciate all the input!!! So I also test mine with the luggage scale..and it runs about 10/11 lbs. but I swear to god in those videos, they look effortless. I guess it is what it is..I still love my AI tho. I was hoping it'll get a little better over time. but some of you crashed my dream alredy.
Is this a new or used gun? Have you ensured the striker assembly and cocking cam are lubed? How’s the cocking cam look, is it smooth and shiny, or scored/galled? If all is in order, contact Mile High and see what they can do. My bolt lift is 6lbs, and should have the same components as yours. Something isn’t right.

Reactions: deersniper