• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accuracy international chassis benefits??

G

I was wondering what are the FUNCTIONAL benefits of using an expensive chassis system like an AI stock. I have always used mcmillans which are much cheaper and with a light bedding job offer a zero stress foundation to the action. so other than looking tacticool what is the advantages to an AI stock over a mickey.

Re: accuracy international chassis benefits??

much cheaper? With detachable AI mag, adjustable cheek rest, bedding job, blah, blah blah. Where are you getting your MUCH cheaper Mickeys at?

built in magazine system, folder, replaceable outer skins, extreme full length aluminum chassis

with that said i still like the feel of the McMillian's

If you compare apples to apples.....McM A5 with bedding and a detachable mag system of some sort, its more expensive than an AICS.

AICS 1.5- 889.00
AICS 2.0- 989.00

McM A5 w/ adj cheek- 748.50
bedding- 100-175
Badger DBM-350.00
Total------1248.50.

Now that is quick pricing, but the advantages are that you dont have to bed the AICS, it comes ready to go with a detachable magazine, but the AICS is a love hate thing and its heavy.

How heavy roughly for a Remington 700 in an AICS 1.5 with an optic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what are the FUNCTIONAL benefits of using an expensive chassis system like an AI stock. I have always used mcmillans which are much cheaper and with a light bedding job offer a zero stress foundation to the action. so other than looking tacticool what is the advantages to an AI stock over a mickey. </div></div>

You need to get OUTSIDE more and away from the keyboard!! I mean seriously...how do you come up with these ideas (ill-conceived as they may be)?!?! Between this thread and your recent optics debacle...nevermind...wasted words on deaf ears.

The prices are not as you describe them as you should be well aware based on Austin's (and other) posts. Other "benefits" are ergonomics (some love them...some hate them...it is an individual user preference situation as to whether the McM or the AI's have better ergos), flexibility, ability to fold (with the stage 2 chassis) to save space/create a smaller package for ease of transport into and out of a variety of conditions/AOs, the new AX chassis will have even more flexibility/ability to be configured with different rail mount accessories at the end user level thanks to the foward picatinny rail forend/handguard section...the list goes on.

12 puounds give or take depending on barrel length, profile and scope.

AICS Chassis System is actually an excellent deal in getting a tough tactical stock and DBM system all in one. It only seems expensive at first, but once you start adding up the prices ala cart, the AICS becomes a better deal........ if you like the thumbhole stock.

Funny thing, before I started shooting rifles in the AICS chassis, I hated thumb hole stocks. For the most part I still do. But I love the AICS. I know that statement may not make sense but the AICS is not just another thumb hole. And all you guys are correct in the fact that the AICS, when compared to a comparable McMillan is quite a bit less expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you compare apples to apples.....McM A5 with bedding and a detachable mag system of some sort, its more expensive than an AICS.
<span style="color: #33CC00">You can get one tomorrow </span>
AICS 1.5- 889.00
AICS 2.0- 989.00

<span style="color: #CC0000"> You 'll have to wait up to 6 months</span>
McM A5 w/ adj cheek- 748.50
bedding- 100-175
Badger DBM-350.00
Total------1248.50.

Now that is quick pricing, but the advantages are that you dont have to bed the AICS, it comes ready to go with a detachable magazine, but the AICS is a love hate thing and its heavy.
</div></div>

Or you can get a folder from McRee and save even more money and not have to deal with the thumbhole stock - especially if you're comfortable shooting ARs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what are the FUNCTIONAL benefits of using an expensive chassis system like an AI stock. I have always used mcmillans which are much cheaper and with a light bedding job offer a zero stress foundation to the action. so other than looking tacticool what is the advantages to an AI stock over a mickey. </div></div>

You need to get OUTSIDE more and away from the keyboard!! I mean seriously...how do you come up with these ideas (ill-conceived as they may be)?!?! Between this thread and your recent optics debacle...nevermind...wasted words on deaf ears.

The prices are not as you describe them as you should be well aware based on Austin's (and other) posts. Other "benefits" are ergonomics (some love them...some hate them...it is an individual user preference situation as to whether the McM or the AI's have better ergos), flexibility, ability to fold (with the stage 2 chassis) to save space/create a smaller package for ease of transport into and out of a variety of conditions/AOs, the new AX chassis will have even more flexibility/ability to be configured with different rail mount accessories at the end user level thanks to the foward picatinny rail forend/handguard section...the list goes on. </div></div>

dude seriously do you have a vendetta against me?? I asked a legitimate question. thanks to some around here I got some answers. I have never seen or handled an AI stock in person. the last mcmillan I ordered last fall cost me under $450. a quick search on the internet and I found AI 2.0 units for around $1100. to some peoples credit they pointed out that the stock comes ready to accept mags and there is a savings there, if detachable mags float your boat.

do you think I started this post just to start trouble??? get a grip man.

anyways a couple more questions, to those that are nice enough to comment. the chassis stocks I have handled are HS type and most guys including me feel to get the best out of them they still need to be bedded. is this the case with the AI stock?? and if it doesn't need to be bedded why would the AI stock need not need it and an HS type need it??

also someone mentioned replaceable skins, what is this and how are they replacable,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also someone mentioned replaceable skins, what is this and how are they replacable, </div></div>

The skins are just the polymer sides that are screwed onto the aluminum chassis, on the 1.5 there are 2 pieces and on the 2.0 there are 4. They are replaceable by simply unscrewing them and ordering a new color or whatever you are looking for (although I have struggled to find someone that has the skins in stock).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
the last mcmillan I ordered last fall cost me under $450.</div></div>

My guess would be that your McMillan did not have an adjustable length of pull, adjustable cheek, four sling mounting points, accessory rail, magazine system or aluminum bedding block. If you add all those options to a McMillan they are much more expensive than an AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a quick search on the internet and I found AI 2.0 units for around $1100.</div></div>

And I would bet if you looked closer you would also see that those are AICS 2.0, which are the folding version. This is yet another option that you cannot get on a McMillan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to some peoples credit they pointed out that the stock comes ready to accept mags and there is a savings there, if detachable mags float your boat.</div></div>

If you don't need a detachable mag system, that is another reason NOT to get an AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyways a couple more questions, to those that are nice enough to comment. the chassis stocks I have handled are HS type and most guys including me feel to get the best out of them they still need to be bedded. is this the case with the AI stock?? and if it doesn't need to be bedded why would the AI stock need not need it and an HS type need it??</div></div>

Quality.

Now you are trying to compare a $200 H&S to a $800-1100 AICS. Doesn't make sense does it. However "needing" to be bedded is a matter of opinion. I have seen guys pay to have an action bedded into an AICS in search of that last 1/4 MOA of accuracy. If you are a benchrest shooter, then I can tell you off the bat an AICS is probably not going to make you happy. If you are not a benchrest shooter and actually shoot your rifle at more than 100 yards you probably wont notice any difference at all. My AI AE MkII is not bedded into it's chassis and it shoots amazingly. It's not an AICS, but it's the same principal (round receiver in a v-block chassis).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also someone mentioned replaceable skins, what is this and how are they replacable, </div></div>

The "skins" are the plastic that bolts onto the aluminum skeleton of the chassis. Some see this as an advantage. I just see it as extra parts. If the skins were bonded onto the skeleton in a manner that still allowed the same level of field maintenance, then I would be all for it.

However the replaceable skins makes it easy for you to have a set of the rifle while another is off getting painted, etc.

To come back around to your original question, the AICS is more functional than the McMillan because it comes already setup to drop an action in and roll out to accomplish the mission. It was built with the military in mind. If all you do is hunt in the day, then it probably isn't the best choice.

I have a wide variety in the safe (including traditional wood). If I was just hunting or having a leisurely day on the range, then I don't need most of the features of the AI. If I am responding to bad things a happening, then I prefer the features of the AI. If I am shooting a tactical match, I also prefer the AI.

I know of other guys who just don't like the AICS and prefer to run McMillans with adjustable cheeks and removable magazines. They just aren't paying $450 for them. They spend the extra over the AICS because they feel it works better for them.

One thing to consider since you are used to mcmillans is weight. Having and loving both, if I'm shooting all day, I prefer the AI, if I'm hunting in the mountains, the light weight of the mcmillan is really nice- it is VERY noticeable to me.

What is your intended purpose?

thanks for the answers, the guy that posted the pics of the CS without the skins on, THANK YOU that really helped me understand how the setup works and actually what a novel idea the setup is. I actually think there is a whole lot more they could do with a setup like that, like maybe even offer more skin patterns, which could suit ones tastes.

any idea what the bare AICS weight is, installed with skins and in basic configuration???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the answers, the guy that posted the pics of the CS without the skins on, THANK YOU that really helped me understand how the setup works and actually what a novel idea the setup is. I actually think there is a whole lot more they could do with a setup like that, like maybe even offer more skin patterns, which could suit ones tastes.

any idea what the bare AICS weight is, installed with skins and in basic configuration??? </div></div>
Skins are easy. DO whatever you want to them... paint, cerakote, hydrographics... whatever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the answers, the guy that posted the pics of the CS without the skins on, THANK YOU that really helped me understand how the setup works and actually what a novel idea the setup is. I actually think there is a whole lot more they could do with a setup like that, like maybe even offer more skin patterns, which could suit ones tastes.

any idea what the bare AICS weight is, installed with skins and in basic configuration??? </div></div>

Skins are easy. DO whatever you want to them... paint, cerakote, hydrographics... whatever. </div></div>

I think he meant different shapes/ergonomics. Weather that's what he meant or not, it's not a bad idea (I like them the way they are, but some don't).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeld1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How heavy roughly for a Remington 700 in an AICS 1.5 with an optic? </div></div>

My .300WSM (700SA) with a 26" heavy bull barrel, scope and AICS 1.5 goes about 17#.

Liked it so much I bought a 2.0 for my 700P. Put it together and shot it just today. I'm in lust all over again.

Is the new version of the AICS, the AX Chasis ever going to hit the shelves for retail sale?

When someone beds an AI Chassis, what are they bedding - the chassis to the action or the skins to the chassis? Based on the pictures I can't fathom where glass bedding would make an improvement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When someone beds an AI Chassis, what are they bedding - the chassis to the action or the skins to the chassis? Based on the pictures I can't fathom where glass bedding would make an improvement. </div></div>

Action to the chassis! Never bedded any of mine but some believe that bedding an AICS to an action will guarantee a stress free fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When someone beds an AI Chassis, what are they bedding - the chassis to the action or the skins to the chassis? Based on the pictures I can't fathom where glass bedding would make an improvement. </div></div>

You are bedding the action/chassis...the skins don't come into the equation. The problem is that your average 700 receiver isn’t always completely round so when you go to torque them down into the chassis, you create unnecessary stress on the action. This is easy to see when you untighten the front action screw with the rear screw torqued down properly, the barrel will sometimes rise which clearly exhibits where stress is being created on the action which can cause accuracy problems.

Most of your "better" smiths (GAP, Rosecoe, etc., etc.) all insist on bedding AICS-equipped rifles that they build because of this issue.

Thanks - can one assume that an AI action is machined to fit the AI chassis better than typical Remington - and therefore, bedding is unneeded?

GA Precision offers the Templar action, which is probably better machined than Remington too. Do you think the gain would be noticeable on this set-up? I'm thinking about a project next year and would like to save some "$" if possible. I'm interested in any "before and after experience" concerning glass bedded AI chassis.

I have shot with one and for me it was a little akward. My suggestion would be to find some that had one and see if you could shoot it beofre you dropped that kind of money. The stock itself is a great piece of gear and is really a good setup if its comfortable to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks - can one assume that an AI action is machined to fit the AI chassis better than typical Remington - and therefore, bedding is unneeded?

GA Precision offers the Templar action, which is probably better machined than Remington too. Do you think the gain would be noticeable on this set-up? I'm thinking about a project next year and would like to save some "$" if possible. I'm interested in any "before and after experience" concerning glass bedded AI chassis.
</div></div>

First off...there is ZERO comparison between the AI receiver and the 700 receiver, so best to not try to compare the two.

Second...the Templar Action is not (repeat NOT) a 700 footprint action and therefore, it will NOT drop into an AICS. If you want to get a Templar action into a chassis, you will have to incur some pretty extensive modifications to the chassis, including but not limited to milling out the recoil lug channel forward and adding material/building up the rear of the channel, as well as milling out/opening up the bolt handle notch/recess. There is a fair amount of machining work to be done to get the Templar to fit in the chassis. The good folks at GAP can better answer questions on this work and what all is involved including the machining and the costs.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the level of work (and expense) associated with putting a Templar action into an AI chassis. I went through the GA options list adding up what I wanted, but from what you describe, there is probably more to it. I'll call GA Precision when I get closer to doing the deed. However, at this point, I'm thinking I may be better off just going straight AI with the 2.0 stock, 20 inch barrel, muzzle brake, 18 MOA mount, 10 round mag, and then be done with it. I'd like to try the AI trigger since the brochure description isn't too much to my liking. Seems most people around here just buy the stocks and drop a Remington action into it. I haven't seen an all AI rifle at the two clubs that I belong to.

"rosie palma" and "ORD", and others of their ilk, are likened to lot lizards in trucking. Don't pay attention to their babbling and ridicule. they're pissed off cause mama dominates them and that's their way (via the keyboard) of feeling important. I feel if they don't have anything constructive to the point to say, they should just shut up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at this point, I'm thinking I may be better off just going straight AI with the 2.0 stock, 20 inch barrel, muzzle brake, 18 MOA mount, 10 round mag, and then be done with it. I'd like to try the AI trigger since the brochure description isn't too much to my liking.</div></div>

My suggestion is to just buy an AE Mk II.

The trigger is excellent and if for some reason you don't like it the way it comes out of the box, it can be fully adjusted.

Are the AW and AE going to be discontinued?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1899</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the AW and AE going to be discontinued? </div></div>

In favor of the new AX?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion is to just buy an AE Mk II.

The trigger is excellent and if for some reason you don't like it the way it comes out of the box, it can be fully adjusted. </div></div>

Complete AI rifles are truly excellent in every respect, but make no mistake that GAP's work is second to none in the industry. It really all just comes down to what you need/want out of the rifle and how much you are willing/able to pay. LWUSMC's advice is about the best you'll find. The AI AE MkII rifles in approx. the config you want will run you around $4k or so (minus optics, extra mags, etc., etc.) and it will shoot incredibly well right out of the box (as long as you do your part). Custom rifles from GAP will hit that price range pretty quickly depending on how you option them and what all is involved with GAP modifying a chassis to work with the Templar action. Either way...you'll be very pleased with the results you get from the AI or from any GAP custom rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1899</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the AW and AE going to be discontinued? </div></div>

The AE is not going anywhere for some time. IIRC some versions of the AW will be phased out for the AX. I do not remember the specifics of which models.

at what point does weight start to be a problem?? from the sounds of it the AI stock is going to add at least 4#'s over a mickey style stock. at some point weight has to effect how portable and usable the gun is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at what point does weight start to be a problem?? from the sounds of it the AI stock is going to add at least 4#'s over a mickey style stock. at some point weight has to effect how portable and usable the gun is. </div></div>

For myself, weight becomes a problem at about 230. Its a way bigger deal than the weight of my rifle.

I've never noticed the weight of my AW as a negative issue. During shooting sessions or competition, I do not notice it at all. Let's just say I don't hunt with it though....
smile.gif

What improves with one of these?

I mean if I get a say 300-400 stock (Let's say B&C A5) vs this.

will the accuracy improve 1/2? 1/4?

the only reason I can understand is, it'll make it more accurate. but how much more accurate compared to a lower end rifle?

I love the way it looks, but I just think there are other things you can do to a rifle that'll improve accuracy for 500 dollars than spending it on this...

^^ If you have a solid stock to receiver connection, the benefits of a stock are more related to ergonomics and your own usability. If the stock fits you and works with your shooting style, you can get good accuracy. If the stock doesn't fit you, and it's uncomfortable to shoot from, your accuracy can suffer. Things like length of pull, cheek weld, and grip angle can all play a factor. Custom stocks give you more flexibility to get exactly what you need. Further, tactical stocks tend to have specific features most tactical shooters find desirable for that style of shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at what point does weight start to be a problem?? from the sounds of it the AI stock is going to add at least 4#'s over a mickey style stock. at some point weight has to effect how portable and usable the gun is.</div></div>
That's a subjective question. It's relative to each individual person. For those of us who are larger and stronger, weight is not as much of a concern for mobility. For those that are smaller or don't spend as much time in the weight room, weight can be an issue at a lower threshold. If you were a horse, would you be a Clydesdale or Thoroughbred? It's all about how sensitive you are to weight being carried, or how much strength and endurance you have.

Personally, I think weight is less of an issue than actual size and design. If you have a big bulky scope, or a longer barrel, that does more to restrict movement. Such is why you see so many people going with shorter barrels like in the 18-20" range for your typical .308.

I own a full GAP build in a bedded 2.0 AICS stock. A few weeks ago I wrote a post on how my rifle got backed over by a truck. Zero never shifted and groups stayed awesome. Still friends with the driver of the truck. I would be lying if I didn't briefly reconsider the driver's friendship though. LOL
McMillan stocks can take a beating also but I was not able to find one that folds at the time. Still not sure if a folder is available.

I don't really care for the folding option... This isn't a truck gun that I'm trying to keep in my car, or clear rooms in a building. I'm going to lay prone (whether is competition, or SHTF) and shoot.

the fixed stocks still have the adjustable cheek correc? the only thing with 2.0 is that it folds, and that's it.

One of the biggest advantages the AI has (along with the other high quality bolt-ins, is: resale value, as long as it hasn't been bedded. A bedded stock, sold alone, will have to have it's bedding removed for the new owner to bed his action. Regarding bedding, while this may make a lot of people on this board angry, and start a $%#^&%ing match, I'd like to say, Based on Actual Match Scores, Where groups are actually measured, the most accurate bedding is GLUE IN. Bench Rest rifles are more often then not glued in, this is why the triggers are made the way they are--they can be pulled in and out without removing the action from the stock. I'd like to see some actual reports regarding "tactical" style rifles glued vs. bedded, vs. pillar/bedded etc.
One poster made the very valid point: hunting- light stock, bench= heavy stock, it all boils down to the final users needs, likes and dislikes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What improves with one of these?

I mean if I get a say 300-400 stock (Let's say B&C A5) vs this.

will the accuracy improve 1/2? 1/4?

the only reason I can understand is, it'll make it more accurate. but how much more accurate compared to a lower end rifle?

I love the way it looks, but I just think there are other things
you can do to a rifle that'll improve accuracy for 500 dollars than spending it on this...</div></div>

Your missing some of the point of the AICS. Its a full aluminum chassis system below the skins from the butt to the fore-end so the action is bedded to a full aluminum chassis. There's pictures I linked earlier to see it without the skins to give you a better idea.
Also the cost of say a B&C A5 Medalist at around $400 still doesn't include adding a DBM, in-letting and a Magazine. Add all that to the cost and then compare it to the AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at what point does weight start to be a problem?? from the sounds of it the AI stock is going to add at least 4#'s over a mickey style stock. at some point weight has to effect how portable and usable the gun is.</div></div>

The AICS 1.5 weighs 5 lbs 4 ozs so the chances of the McMillan weighing 4 lbs less is a stretch. If weight's that much of a concern you should probably be looking at hunting rifles built to carry all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't really care for the folding option... This isn't a truck gun that I'm trying to keep in my car, or clear rooms in a building. I'm going to lay prone (whether is competition, or SHTF) and shoot.

the fixed stocks still have the adjustable cheek correc? the only thing with 2.0 is that it folds, and that's it. </div></div>

I've seen AI fixed stocks with and without adjustable cheek rests. The 1.0 is without and the 1.5 is with.
I decided on the folding 2.0 so I could throw it across the top of a ruck and not have as wide of a profile while hiking.

A little off topic but an 18" barrel and a folding 2.0 AICS stock looks pretty sick. Its the heaviest, shortest rifle ever.

I really wish there was a place, or someone I know that would let me handle a A5 and a AICS so I can see which feels better to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wish there was a place, or someone I know that would let me handle a A5 and a AICS so I can see which feels better to me. </div></div>

Get thee to your nearest precision rifle match....
smile.gif

or these guys are in Florida: SRT Supply

No need to bed the AICS, just bolt on the action and go. That is what's great about them- you can change up the barreled action to suit your needs. If you start shooting comps with a stock .308 remy and you move up to a .260 custom action, simply unbolt the old one and bolt on the new.