• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International to end production of AE

tomirwin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Accuracy International would like to formally announce to the Sniper’s Hide Community that we will be ending production of AE rifles in 2013.

The AE, in .308 calibre, was introduced at the request of the law enforcement community in 2001 with a basic black, fixed stock, fixed cheek-piece and 24 inch barrel. The AE has been popular with Law Enforcement and civilian shooters worldwide. It evolved through two product improvement stages, the AE MkII and AE MkIII featuring an AW style three-position safety, removable trigger group, standard adjustable check-piece and redesigned 5 and 10 round magazines.

After 12 years it is time to bring production of this model to an end and the final batch is now in the assembly process in our UK factory. We will continue to support all versions of the AE as we have done with our AW Series, which has seen upgrades throughout its life.

New Accuracy International 2014 models will be announced at the Shot Show in Las Vegas on January 14, 2014. We know there will be a lot of questions about this, however at this time we are not prepared to say anymore other than... you will not be disappointed. We are in pre-production of the 2014 Models now, so come Shot Show you’ll be able to get your hands on them.

Thanks for your continued support !

Tom Irwin,
Accuracy International

Thats great but with new products will we have the standard ai wait time?

Thanks for your support to the shooting community.

Thanks

Rich

Last edited:
New products will be available in January and the wait time will be dependent on how many orders we have and how well our distributors order in advance. We have increased our rifle production this year so lead times will be less in 2014.
Tom Irwin

Product improvement and marketing, huge benefits to the consumer. I guess the speculation will begin as to the configuration(s), I'm certain the pricing bracket will be similar.

My guess is the action won't change, the barrels will be 5/8x24 and the chassis and OR stocks will be different in some manner.

does this drive the value of a used AI AE MKIII up? I was gonna buy one, now I may wait to see what new pops out. IF I don't like the new stuff, I'll be forced to buy used. Think the prices will go up?

Wow.
I'm actually kind of glad I got my Mk III when I did.

On a separate note: as good as the AE is, for AI to replace it, there must be an awesome rifle in the works. I'm eagerly awaiting the news from SHOT.

Wow - I really didn't see that one coming.

Last edited:
Oh NO!!!!!! I have two obsolete AE's. :( What to do????? :)

My guess is a new chassis. Looking forward to January!!!!

All rifles will use will use the quick change barrel design of the PSR I bet. I bet all rifles forward will utilize the AW/AX type magazine. I wonder if the folders will fold to the right now..... And will the actions remain bonded to the chassis.

I'm interested to see what happens.

I'm guessing matt is correct, as the short-action PSR is somewhat confirmed.
But I hope there will still be a semi-affordable platform, like the AE.

I'm curious, but nostalgia is already kicking in, hoping they will still offer the "classic" thumb-hole stock on their new models. Though I'm pretty sure it'll probably be pistol-grip only.

My guess, action and barrel the same, but with the ax chassis.

@Tom Irwin

Tom, since the primary 'advantage' of the AE over the AW / AX is price, with the phase out and subsequent introduction of the replacement product line - will the price point be the same(+/- a couple %)?

Anything you can update related to .300WM (any product line)?

TIA

My guess:
AE -> SA PSR, but without the bonded chassis
SA AX -> SA PSR
LA AX -> PSR (but not as a kit)

They will keep the legacy AW for now. It would be like Porsche stopping to make the 911 otherwise...

I doubt they are going to put out something in the AE's price range.

Its a Shame, Maybe the AE is cutting into their AX/AW market and they would rather sell a $5000 gun than a $3500 one.

Atleast there is still TRG, For now.

Accuracy International to end production of AE

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up, Tom.

I still run my AE MK I, and I haven't really needed anything better. I have one of the ones with the cold bore issue, but it's consistent so I don't worry about it.

The AE price has indeed been creeping upward, but it's nowhere near an AW.

I am looking forward to what comes next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Dun dun dun....

If there's one thing we know it's that AI never disappoints. I can't wait to see what they introduce at SHOT.

Thanks to Tom & Accuracy International for posting this update,

I honestly don't think anyone is going to be disappointed. Not the new tech guys or the price conscious people... Shot can't come soon enough.

I honestly don't think anyone is going to be disappointed. Not the new tech guys or the price conscious people... Shot can't come soon enough.

Are any of these new exciting things going to be in a left-handed variant? :-D

I'm sure whatever is replacing the AE won't disappoint. Sure whatever it is there will be a version in the AE price point. Such a huge market at the price point. It directly competes with the trg and custom builds. The AE was a big time seller. They wouldn't remove it without something bad ass to put in its place. This alone might get me on a plane to Las Vegas to check it out in jan.

All rifles will use will use the quick change barrel design of the PSR I bet. I bet all rifles forward will utilize the AW/AX type magazine. I wonder if the folders will fold to the right now..... And will the actions remain bonded to the chassis.

I'm interested to see what happens.

This would be very a very nice option indeed...

Now I need to decide whether to sell custom to buy an AE now or wait to see what's coming out and hope I like it. Damn I hate decisions :-(

Wait, even if you don't like whatever the new platform is there should be plenty of deals on other AI rifles once it hits the streets.

My guess is standardization of the AX chassis or maybe a non-thumb hole stock.

I truly hope the price point doesn't exceed the current AE as it's at the absolute top end of what I could afford. Been saving my pennies for an AE in 6.5 but looks like I won't be in time. Hoping for awesome news at SHOT.

"Mile High Shooting" why don't you guy's give us a deal on these soon to be obsolete AE's and maybe we can relieve you of your stock, after all you need to make room for those new beauties....

Perhaps, something like this is what's being considered?

2aiir1v.jpg

:confused:

2aiir1v.jpg

That's what I think, it will appeal to shooters who desire the "traditional" stocks. I believe that one pictured is single shot, however, AI would make it with DBM of course. If this is the case, I don't see any reason why the price would be the same or actually lower. If you compare the current chassis cost verses a stock like the above, it would be a tad less. I think weight would be lower as well.

Last edited:
That's what I think, it will appeal to shooters who desire the "traditional" stocks. I believe that one pictured is single shot, however, AI would make it with DBM of course. If this is the case, I don't see any reason why the price would be the same or actually lower. If you compare the current chassis cost verses a stock like the above, it would be a tad less. I think weight would be lower as well.

You are correct that is a single shot AE in FTR guise. The stock is a PSE carbon stock made in Ireland. I handled that rifle and very nice it was too.

However I can't see it replacing the chassis based AE/AT but maybe complementing it.

2aiir1v.jpg

I never would of thought that AI would go away from the chassis, they have a good thing going on with them. However that being said I personally have never been completely comfortable with the AIAW style chassis, the AX is better but still not 100% for me. I have thought of using the Badger but never could bring myself to. If this comes to be and the quality is the same old AI it would be a great option especially if they shed a few pounds...

If they did this I could see why - it sets a clear line of demarcation between the product lines, and ends sales bleed off. It would be fantastic if it was at a price under the current AE 3.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a non chassis. If I remember correctly that was a single shot gun. I'll bet that if AI dumps the legacy style chassis it will be to go AX/PSR across the board.

This is interesting and doesn't jive with the idea they'll go PSR across the line. Makes me think they're going in the opposite direction, something just below the AE, maybe more in line with TRG, to further differentiate from the AW and AX. It's no secret the AE has cannibalized sales of the AW and I imagine they won't make the same mistake again; so its either go over the top and debut a new flagship, which makes the AW an entry level option and puts em out of touch for most common folk, or offer a more basic package with the same proven action. There is a hole in the $2-$3000 market for tactical type rifles and I'd like to see em nestle in on the upper end of that, where Sako rules the roost but without a flagship above the TRG to keep pace, AI could gain a larger market share(hopefully) without compromise. Just thinkin out loud at this point.

Seeing how it's not likely they retired the AE just to replace it with AE2.0, we can be sure change is coming and I'm excited to see where this goes. Accuracy International has a solid history of decision-making and product development so no matter what it is, it should be good. I, for one, would love to see something in the $2800 range with traditional ergonomics and a Jenny Craig diet.

.....And no more thumbholes! :p

Last edited:
Wow. Hearing this after I bought my MkIII two months ago is surprising. It would be nice to see whatever they come out with to be on par with the AE price point. I will be very interested to see what AI comes out with next year.

AIAW PSR

THUMBHOLES FOR THE WIN!!!! i have to be the instigator, I like the Ax but i prefer the aw. all we can do is post nonsense here and await january.

I hope it keeps the same action and price point as the AE.

What action do they use on that Single shot?

Last edited:
I hope it keeps the same action and price point as the AE.

If they can retain the action, integrate some new tech as Frank alluded to, and retain the same price point, maybe shave a couple bucks and a couple pounds, I'd call it a winner.

Tom, will you release any further details before shot?

Hmmm. Crud... I just ordered a new MKIII. Feeling lots of conflicting emotions...Excitement. Confusion. Disappointment. Uncertainty. Indecision. Lucky. Unlucky. You get the idea. Should I cancel the order (I think I can...not positive), and jump in line for the "new AI" or keep the MKIII?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free