• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy issues...

to the OP. Seems like you have some mods already to your weapon. Have you considered just cutting your losses on your barrel and replacing it with a quality $300-400 match barrel? From most post I have read and I am sure you have too that a quality match barrel with tight tolerances is a great way to improve accuracy/reliability and repeatability. I understand this post was more for a diagnostic check to see what is wrong, and the barrel may not be the reason, however it seems like you cant go wrong replacing it if it is in your means.

+100000 You already have some of the best parts you can get. All your lacking is a custom barrel, true action, glass bed and your in a 1/2'' moa or less rifle.

The trigger may be preventing the action from properly settling into the stock when you tighten the screws. If I had your rifle in front of me I could give you a solid guess as to wether or not its bad enough to cause your problems.

The fact that you can change the location of your trigger in the stock by loosening the screws and repositioning the action in the stock and retourqing suggests to me that your bedding might leave something to be desired.

If you have the time and the patience, test Lowlight's suggestion about the mb first. Try to change one thing at a time. If that doesn't work, you might try reinstalling the factory trigger. If that doesn't work, I would bed the rifle.

It's hard to do this sort of thing over the net.

I would try loading longer. My 700 won't shoot consistent until I am out past 2.900". I load my 175 SMK's at 2.935" and will shoot 3\4 moa easily with a .200 being my best five round group to date. I did have to modify my AI mags and bought some Alphas. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm having the same issues with my aac sd and is certainly is frustrating. After 400 rounds of load development I found several loads that would shoot 5 round groups under .5 moa and the next range trip these same loads would shoot 1.5 moa. Im also using an HDMR scope. I'm anxious to see what you find out!

Ok, well it seems bedding the action is the general consensus. I will check around locally and see if anyone in NC does legit bedding. I've been quoted 1-4 months for a bedding job and 10-13 months from the top barrel manufacturers for a new barrel and full overhaul of my action and what not...

UPDATE: So I pulled the SF MB off and added an AAC. I removed the Larue base and added a Badger since it has a shorter front screw, in case it was touching the barrel. Got my DBM situated so the trigger does not touch and the safety works. I also got a Gem Pro 250 scale that's supposted to be accurate to 2/100 of a grain. So I started at the 70 yard bench and shot a 3 round group to get sighted in this load was:

43g IMR 4064
168 CC
Fed brass
210 primer
CL 2.005
OAL 2.845

The 3 shot at 70 yards was .210 Inches. I got excited and dropped back to 100...

Took a 5 shot at 100 with same load. I pulled the first shot bad and the stacked 4 in .746 MOA with the pulled first shot it was 1.43 MOA.

I then started with my other loads as I only had 8 rounds of 168

44g Varget
178 AMAX
LC brass
210 Primer
CL 2.005
OAL 2.855
5 shot groups: 1.56, 1.45 MOA

43g IMR 4064
178 AMAX
LC brass
210 primer
CL 2.005
OAL 2.855
5 shot groups: 1.23, 1.49 MOA

43g IMR 4064
175SMK
LC brass
210 primer
CL 2.005
OAL 2.845
5 shot group: 1.9MOA I pulled the first shot hard right. It was a called flyer, then I stacked 4 in .643 MOA.

So aside from the 2 called flyers it shot sub moa with the 168 and 175 load. Could my rifle just hate 178? I've shot probably 50 rounds of 44g Varget 178 and 50 rounds of 43g IMR4064 all with a OAL from 2.815 to 2.855 with none going sub moa and none going over 2 MOA. Ive dropped the charge on these .5g and 1g and am going to test them again. I need to get my hands on some 168 and 175's to test my theory of my rifle hating 178 AMAX.

Last edited: