• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy of a SCAR 16?

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I would love to hear from guys who have attempted to wring as much accuracy as you can with the SCAR 16. What loads worked the best and what were your results? What are you guys seeing? Here are my initial findings:

I picked a SCAR 16 up for my kids to play around with but they haven't had much interest in it. So I loaded a generic load: 25.5g of Benchmark in Rem brass with a CCI 400 and a 55g Hornady Amax @ 2.250". I ran that load threw it and it shot OK with some very promising groups but the load seemed to be about a max charge with this combo based on how the primers and brass looked. But like I said it did pretty good and got me thinking...

I decided I wanted to see if the rifle would shoot or not. I backed the load off a little in hopes to settle it down and gain some accuracy. I loaded a few @ 24.5g, 24.9g and 25.2g of Benchmark with everything else the same. I took it back to 100yds to see if it would help any. Here are the results:

I think that I may be getting somewhere and with very little load development. The 25.2g load was the best turning in a 0.745" and a 0.866" (I only loaded 10 rounds of that charge thinking that is still may be too close to max for the best accuracy, I think I was wrong). All in all a 5 round 10 group average at 1.173" with a chrome lined 7 twist battle rifle shooting 55g bullets I am happy. I also am encouraged that there is more accuracy to be found. All these were shot prone off an Atlas and no rear bag (I left it at home and used my ammo box with my hand instead, that will teach me to run late and rush packing).

I am going to work on tweaking that 25.2g / 55g AMax load and also work up a load using 75g Hornady Match bullets and I may get some 69g and 77g SMK to try with RL15.

I have been hearing that the SCAR 17 is also showing some great accuracy. I would love some reports from them as well.

I had a SCAR 16 and it really wasn't that impressive as far as accuracy goes. It really wasn't designed as a long range extreme precision shooter especially with that pencil thin barrel. The SCAR 16 is a battle rifle plain and simple. There is a company that makes a heavy barrel upgrade for it with gas block and all but I think it was like $800 for the kit. The SCAR heavy I know nothing about but have heard that it shoots fairly well.
    I have a POF R415 and P308 and they are both extremely accurate. But I wanted complete rifles at the time. If I were to do it again I would have built to my own specs.

I understand that the rifle was designed as a battle rifle and I know what the requirements are for a battle rifle. However personally I have never been able to settle with anything or when doing anything. I have owned some "battle rifles" in my time and have always ended up putting a high magnification scope on them and trying to see what they will do in a precision role. I do this just for the sake of being able to. This is where I am with the SCAR. The SCAR is different than any other rifle out there (at least that I know about) in form and function, so I don't know what it may be capable of unlike a DI AR or even a piston AR (I pretty much know what to expect from one of them).

With this being said don't misinterpret the motivation behind this thread. I am not starting it from the stand point of "hey look what my SCAR can or may be able to do". I am starting it to gather data over a larger sample rate than what I have at my disposal. I am not a "fan boy" of the SCAR nor do I have any ties to them other than owning one which really means nothing to me. I do however like the design of the rifle and think it brings a lot to the table. I like the ergonomics and modularity of the rifle. I really like the operating system with the short stroke piston design, and the low center of gravity of the barrel and bolt carrier group. But that is not what this thread is about, its about accuracy potential of the rifle. I don't yet know the true accuracy potential of these rifles, but I am thinking they may be a cut above the standard M4. Or maybe not, but I started this thread to find out.

But thank you for your input.

I get consistent 3/4 min or better using 25.3 grains of R-15 over a 69 grain Sierra Matchking. I love my Scar 16, and have found it to be comparable in accuracy potential to ARs that are set up more as battle rifles. It won't hang with a White Oak or other purpose-built precision gun, but it's not made to.

Upgrading the trigger to a Giesselle made a big difference in shooting.

JBell I'm the same way, doesn't matter what the rifle was built for I always want to see what it can do too lol.

I've been using 69smk with Ramshot Tac, 41's at 25.0gn. ( Please work up to it on your own ) and its been pretty consistent at a little over 1 MOA on average with 5 shot groups.
    I've gotten .5's all the way up to 1.75" and everything in between but I blame it on the shooter as my 4 shot groups are usually under 1 MOA. with that load, rifle and a 2.5-10 scope combo.

24.0gn. with Tac and Hornady 75 bthp's have done pretty well too.

Here's 10 shots at 100 with a good example of throwing two lol. Orange center dot is 1"
    alsugi.jpg

Last edited:
    I have a hard time being consistent with the 17. I'm not completely certain, but think the light weight and short handguard create a lot of potential for muzzle movement. That said, when I'm on my game, and using ammo it likes (Win match, FGMM, MK 118LR), it flat shoots for a semi auto (5/8-3/4" for 5 rounds). The rest of the time I end up with 3-4 shots touching and a flyer or two that opens the group up to 1.25-1.5". It's amazing how well these guns shoot given what they are. I'm interested in seeing how well your 16 will do with a little more load development.

I set up my second SCAR 16 to be an SPR type rifle. The best group at 100 yds I ever got was just under an 1''. Right around .980. I did take it out to 800 yds a year or so ago and shot some 10'' groups. I was impressed. Its not as accurate as my SPRs but it did the job. This was with a 10x vortex pst. For a pencil barrellled weapon I was very impressed. All ammo was 77 grain BH.

I also have 16S and along with the crummy gritty trigger the accuracy disappointed me. I have tried everything from 52 grain SMK's to 69 grain SMK's and my 5 shoot 100 yard groups minor the OP's groups. Compared to my HK MR556, BCM M4, POF 416, Noveske N4 SS Afghan and LMT MRP CQB it is less accurate, in some cases much less, than any of the others. I rarely shoot it now and being an early purchaser I would take a real bath if I were to sell it.

If you are mechanically inclined at all the factory trigger can be smoothed out to make a very smooth clean crisp break. It's a little trickier cause you have the two steel sheet retainers on each side but not so bad really.

If you are mechanically inclined at all the factory trigger can be smoothed out to make a very smooth clean crisp break. It's a little trickier cause you have the two steel sheet retainers on each side but not so bad really.

Do you know where there is a good "how to" for this?

Funny that this thread came up, I just tried doing some load development for my 16s on Friday. Unfortunately my results were terrible. I started with new win brass, cci br-4, Hornady 68gr BTHP bullets, and 24-25.2 grains of varget in .3gr increments. My best OCW group was around 2.5", which is just about the same as factory ball ammo. I love the rifle in terms of ergonomics and function but wish I could squeeze a little more accuracy out of it.

I agree with lwrkeysfisher the rifle can be difficult to drive well consistently. I also think that there is some decent accuracy available in the rifle. From my limited time with it I have found that it seems to be a bit pick on the charge weights that it will shoot, probably due to the harmonics and how the barrel attaches in conjunction with being a piston gun. I have found that just a few tenths can make all the difference in accuracy. I never tried to shoot the factory trigger or make any modifications to it, I have just shot the Geissele and love the hell out of it.

I did try some 75g Hornady Match bullets and RL15 today and think I may have a good charge weight. It seemed to come into decent accuracy at the highest charge I had today (24.1g). You can see how the lower charge weight 75g loads were pretty bad, but tightened up pretty well with just a few tenths. I didn't see any signs of pressure so I may give it a few more tenths even though it is compressed at 24.1g. Here are the results:

Continue to keep us posted on your load work ups. I don't need to hand load for the rifle, but like you I enjoy trying to get the most accuracy out of my rifles.

I also have 16S and along with the crummy gritty trigger the accuracy disappointed me. I have tried everything from 52 grain SMK's to 69 grain SMK's and my 5 shoot 100 yard groups minor the OP's groups. Compared to my HK MR556, BCM M4, POF 416, Noveske N4 SS Afghan and LMT MRP CQB it is less accurate, in some cases much less, than any of the others. I rarely shoot it now and being an early purchaser I would take a real bath if I were to sell it.

Interesting results. If you don't mind me asking how bad was your SCAR shooting? Also your other 5 rifles are very similar rifles to the SCAR in intended use, how well do they shoot (ballpark for each)? Which of them do you like best and why? I know with these style rifles accuracy is not nearly the first quality you look for they need to eat everything you feed them well and handle equally as well. However as the old saying goes only an accurate rifle is interesting. Out of your list what is the most consistently accurate rifle for you?

Thank you in advance for entertaining all my questions as I know it takes time. But I for some reason have sparked an interest in lighter weight gas gun accuracy.

Continue to keep us posted on your load work ups. I don't need to hand load for the rifle, but like you I enjoy trying to get the most accuracy out of my rifles.

As long as my gun ADD holds off and I can keep from trading or selling the SCAR I intend to keep working on finding its accuracy potential. I will keep this thread updated as I go. I would love to see some more results form others with their SCARs.

Its more than accurate for its purpose. FN is known for making fantastic CL, CHF barrels.

With that being said, the 16 is sort of a waste of money unless you plan to SBR them. SBR'ed @ 10", it is a hell of a carbine.

With a 1x red dot type optic, I can't do those kinda groups at 100 yards that you guys are getting. However, I [previously had a Steyr AUG A3 before I got my SCAR 16S, and I find that I can shoot tighter groups with more accuracy compared to the AUG. I think some of it was the AUG's trigger. But for some reason, the barrel seemed to need to warm up a bit on the AUG to get better accuracy. I don't have that issue on my SCAR, thankfully.

I previously used EOtechs, and I think I could probably get a bit more accuracy out of an EOtech compared to the Mepro 21 I have with the triangle reticle. But, I like the battery free option. And, my eyes no longer allow me to sue an EOtech without seeing a phantom dot next to the real one (only when looking down range, though)

Its more than accurate for its purpose. FN is known for making fantastic CL, CHF barrels.

With that being said, the 16 is sort of a waste of money unless you plan to SBR them. SBR'ed @ 10", it is a hell of a carbine.
    that's how I roll, 10" SCAR 16 all the way.

Yes they will shoot...... This target was shot off an atlas bi-pod w/rear bag @ 100 yds using factory fiocchi 69gr match king. Try the heavier projectile, mine seems to like it.

Attachments

• SCAR16-1[1].jpg
      SCAR16-1[1].jpg
      373.6 KB · Views: 71
    • scar target.jpg
      scar target.jpg
      137.6 KB · Views: 74
    I understand that the rifle was designed as a battle rifle and I know what the requirements are for a battle rifle. However personally I have never been able to settle with anything or when doing anything. I have owned some "battle rifles" in my time and have always ended up putting a high magnification scope on them and trying to see what they will do in a precision role.
    Technically a "battle rifle" is a select-fire rifle chambered in a full power cartridge like 7.62x51, 7.62x54, .30-06, etc., while an "assault rifle" is a select-fire rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge like 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45, etc. So the SCAR Mk16 is an assault rifle, while the Mk17 is a battle rifle. Neither the SCAR 16S nor the 17S are considered to be assault rifles or battle rifles, respectively, due to their lack of select-fire (semi-auto only) capability.

Technically a "battle rifle" is a select-fire rifle chambered in a full power cartridge like 7.62x51, 7.62x54, .30-06, etc., while an "assault rifle" is a select-fire rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge like 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45, etc. So the SCAR Mk16 is an assault rifle, while the Mk17 is a battle rifle. Neither the SCAR 16S nor the 17S are considered to be assault rifles or battle rifles, respectively, due to their lack of select-fire (semi-auto only) capability.

Thank you for the clarification. I was more referring to a rifle designed with reliability, portability, and ease of maintenance in mind over pure accuracy.

Cramey74, that is a nice group!

Yes the 10" version is handy as hell and sexy to boot. But I don't think I want to be married to this rifle with an SBR permit. I really only picked it up on a whim while looking for a LPR or OBR 5.56, that is why I decided to scope it and see what it would do for accuracy.

My 17 is a shooter. I've only messed around with some Winchester ball ammo in the beginning. With 165 Accubonds sitting on top of some 2000MR I can get 1/2-3/4 but that is when I had a scope on it.

Was easily banging steel at 750 yards last night with a 25 moa hold over with my SCAR 17. First shot missed by 2 or 3 feet but nailed it the next 5. I have got anywhere from .5 moa to 2 moa with different hand load combos. I was using factory 168gr silver state armory ammo yesterday. Love it. My favorite rifle. On my good days I can bang a 3" gong at 300 yards very consistently. Which tells me it shoots moa even with a HOT barrel. Don't know how they do it but that pencil thin barrel must be made by elfs, when heated it shoots just as good as my bull barrels.

Load development was with a 4-16x Viper PST scope. The above referenced 300 and 750 yard shots were all with a 1-4x PST.

Last edited:

I was going to point out this same clarification. meatwagon explained it nicely.
    Battle rifles should have ceased to exist post WWII.

Cramey 74, you got a hummer with that one.

both my 16 and 17 shoot very well, and both have SSA triggers. I've been able to squeeze groups in the .75-1 inch using match ammo (federal gold match 168, and black hills 77). Ball ammo seems to be a consistent 2 inches or less. A battle rifle does not need to be more accurate than that, and i think both rifles can fit the dmr role. My only gripe is I am starting to move away from pencil thin barrels, to shooting heavier barrels. I prefer to take my battle rifles to shoot fast with, than to shoot groups with.