• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Accuracy of BCM SS410 barrels

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
I am curious what accuracy people are getting with BCM SS410 barrels/uppers (in particular the recce, 16" configuration).
I am getting about 1.6 MOA with PPU 75gr match. I also found that PPU ammo was very inconsistent in terms of grouping.
Black Hill .223 77gr match was about 1 MOA or less.

Re: Accuracy of BCM SS410 barrels

I dunno ~ never can find any instock.
FWIW, my Rainier Ultra Match barreled rifles shoot better than that with PPU and lights out with FGGM or SSA (6.8).
I still want to eventually get a BCM barrel though.

Hmm....I was hoping that it was me and not the barrel, but I also had a precision rifle instructor shoot it with PPU, and he was getting 1.5-2 MOA.
I had a RRA Varmint A4 that worked very well with PPU ( in the old green boxes). The current PPU I have is in the blue boxes.

Dont worry so much about the gun, I've seen PPU shoot great and horrible. Even if an instructor shot it with the PPU, you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. If the ammo you have is 1.5-2 MOA then regardless of what rifle it goes in or who's shooting it, it's probably still gonna be 1-2 MOA.

Try some more Black Hills and some Federal 77 grain.

You stated you were getting 1 MOA or a little less from the Black Hills, in all honesty that's probably about all you will get is 3/4 to 1 MOA if it's a battle rifle but with a match barrel only. Being a semi auto makes it that much harder to drive anyway. While I love BCM stuff and run alot of their stuff myself, if you were looking to get a 1/4-1/2 MOA barrel you are probably gonna be disappointed.

I wouldn't rate my rifle based on how it performs with PPU. Get some Federal Gold Medal Match.

I've had two builds based on SS410 barrels and both were very sub MOA shooters.

Mine is a 18" MK12 upper from BCM. I get just under 1 MOA 5 shot with factory federal 77 grn SMK. With 77 grn noslers handloaded I get just over 1/2" all at 100 yards.

Prvi is some very inconsistent ammunition. I watched last weekend at the range a guy shooting 308 168 GR Privi with a Precision rifle and it was shooting 2 MOA or greater. He then switched over to Black Hills Match and on to Nosler 168GR and they were all around 1/2 MOA. Privi may be good plinking ammo but to test a rifle's accuracy it is a no-go.

A friend has that barrel and it shoots mk 262 very well, sub moa of course

We tested it side by side with a larue stealth 18" using various ammo and found that the bcm did MUCH better with the mk 262, the stealth seemed to shoot poorly with the 262 but did well with hornady .223 (various makes). Enough at least that the stealth owner sold off his case of BH after that session

I know this doesn't help much though :p

I have a BCM SS410 16" barreled rifle. I'm just now getting into shooting groups and learning about precision shooting but most of the threads I read on this barrel it prefferd 69gr ammo. I know each barrel is different and you should try various loads to determine which it likes best but like I said the majority of the threads I read they had there best groupings with 69gr ammo.

Have you tried any 69gr match grade ammo yet such as Black Hills?
I had better groups with Lake City XM855 ammo then both 69gr and 77gr PPU ammo. My next range trip I'm going to try various Black hill loads.

I tried some FGMM 69 gr, and if got rid of two fliers I got 0.814. However, the shooter may be an issue here as well.