• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy On the Cheap...a Work in Progress

huntfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Several years ago, I, for some reason that I can't remember, bought an oddball barreled action off the internet. It was the oh-so-popular 7mm-08AI. It was a Krieger barrel, and the seller insisted that it had not been shot much at all, and it was smithed to a 700SA. I really do love lots of Ackley's, but I'll admit, the 7mm-08 gets little in the performance catagory from the Ackley mojo (Then why do I own two?). The barrel and action sat in my gun room for years. In a fit of boredome, I decided to do a little trigger work, screw it into a beater HS Precision that was laying around, and ran some hunting loads through it that I had for a standard 7mm-08. Whatdaya know, they shot well (as I've found they often do). But the rifle was so "useless" to me that I put it aside for another year or two. At some pouint I was sending some other barrels to be fluted and wanted try the look of spiral fluted barrel. I wasn't sure that the spiral fluting was for me, so I spun off the 7-08ai pipe, as it was "useless" and mighty heavy and had it twist fluted. It came back and I thought it was kinda groovy. I put it all back together...GAP painted the stock... but I parked it for another period of time.

Enter another fit of boredome. I put the rifle through its paces with fireformed brass, 162 AMAXs, and H4350...and voila. I get and honest 2,700fps from 47 grains of H4350. I had a somewhat less useless, still not ideal, hammer. As it sits, it has a 21" barrel, under a 3-12x42 Precision Hunter, and the best part...if I remember correctly...I have a grand total of about $900 in the rifle... barrel fluting, bolt fluting and dies included.

This story has no moral, except that buying cheap crap you don't need is sometimes fun.

1A9EF601-ED33-4EEA-8659-D3A69945F74C-704-000000B55EEF8EC6.jpg

One day, when I get bored again, I'll take it past 600 yards and post pictures. But for now, you'll have to be satisfied with these pathetic 100 yard groups. Very untactical, I know. :)

1CF70F0D-3002-4104-8824-D1F1994578BF-4850-00000424DB059C48.jpg

Last edited:
Curious, if you were going for accuracy, why did you have the barrel fluted?

I sent this particular barrel to be fluted because it was disposable, in my mind...oddball chambering, too short to rechamber to much else, etc. I wanted to do a test run on spiral fluting before I did it to a gun I cared about. I had no idea it was a really good barrel. Just knew it would shoot plain ol' 7-08 pretty swell.

But curious, why would you think that fluting a barrel would tank potential accuracy?

Last edited:
Weight and mass reduction leading to increased harmonic vibrations. The functionality of fluting is to improve heat dissipation and reduce weight; accuracy suffers by definition, although probably not by a significant amount if the other components of the rifle are top-notch (clearly not the case for your "junker" hehe). There is also the chance that the fluting process can warp the barrel. It does look cool, but unless you need the functional effects of heat dissipation or weight reduction, I don't really see a reason for spending the time and money. :p

Agreed, it's all aesthetics and some weight reduction. That said, I own/have owned a whole bunch of rifles that I shot and loaded for and never have detected an iota of diff in the accuracy of barrels that were fluted before boring, barrels that were fluted after boring, or barrels sans fluting. The first barrel I had fluted after it was built caused a tad of anxiety. But Karl insists and I'm unable to prove otherwise, that fluting doesn't change squat on the accuracy front.

Let's say that there is an iota of added variability. At 100 yards, you will probably not notice it, but as the projectile flies, the variability compounds. By the time that you get to your maximum effective range, your round may be somewhere where it has no business of being.

I speak from research, not personal experience, so take with a grain of salt. Here is a video that I saw that explains it in plain speak (for the most part).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uFBA9UUeRE

This is a topic that has been argued ad nauseum. Really.

Fair enough, sorry to hijack your thread; still building my own understanding so figured I would bounce the topic off of you.

Great-looking plinker, by the way!