• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accuracy past 150yards?

Ruslow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
Ok is it me or the ammo?e
I can shoot a 1 hole group at 50 yards, But as i go out past 150 the shots start flying. At 250 it is pull trigger and pray. If i correct for the follow up at that distance it might go over the correction. If it was wind i would say it should be horizontal, but it is in the vertical plane. Not going to say ammo or the weapon. but like i said at fifty I am dead on one hole. Thanks Stan oh and i adjust parallax on the scope for the distance so that is out.

Wind, cartridge defects and muzzle velocity differences are my biggest problems at 50 yards and beyond.
An out of balance projectile with irregularly shaped drive bands or damaged heel will stray quite a bit.
Tailwind turbulence will severely kick my adze.
That's why long range rimfire is fun. :D

Reactions: Starbuck
I shot some groups today with my Vudoo at 200 yards

The first group was marked and shot without the Suppressor for 5 rounds then suppressor was put back on for 7 more. A total of 12 shots of Midas + used. The first shot dropped low outside the group, the rest mixed in as you can see.

Then I made some minor dope corrections to center and align the groups better towards the middle of the plate

The average size was about 2.5" realistically speaking

IMG_1597.JPG

The two smaller groups are 5 shots each, with the 4 above to play with the wind a bit, it was about 8 to 10 today

The head for reference is about 6" square

Oh yes fun.Got my as$ handed to me or i really embarrassed myself. Burned 1 into a steel plate rite next to the target i was suppose to be hitting [already had missed 3 times] got the correction,or so i thought and pulled the trigger on the target and still missed!

I went to 2 courses recently.
I found very good lot of SK LRM but only 200 remained to buy. I used that for the first course and got excellent results out to 165 to 200yds.

The next course I had to use my backup ammo SK Pistol Match Special that have some quality variance, but I have shot well with it to 110yds and at 50m I do ragged holes with it, sometimes accompanied with a flier though.
Before the course I tested them at 110 and noticed they had clearly vertical spread in them.

But at the course 330yds line, I was unable to get pretty much any hits, the stage failed badly. I had 3mil of variance in vertical and because the vertical spread was so huge, to my disadvantage I focused on the vertical and when I needed to make group on paper at 330, I shot all of the shots through a 5" horizontal slit between the papers, as I ignored wind altogether trying to get the vertical corrected.

A week after the course I was shooting 330 for a 10-shot competition with the same ammo, groups were huge, troubles getting on paper again.

I switched to my trusted Eley Tenex and shot 10 rounds. Mean radius was 0.6moa and the whole group 2moa, I got one low-right (wind was from the right).

So there my lesson to difference between 22LR near and long range differences. They are like night and day, you cannot know how a cartridge does at far distances without trying. Price seems like a good indicator though. Differences this big are hard to comprehend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-113637_Telegram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-113637_Telegram.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Yep, in the rimfire game the ammo is part of the fun. You will see across many groups comments just like yours where their CCI sv or Wolf target makes one hole at 50 but out there is all over the place. As said by many before the ES's of even the high end ammo can be more than you would like.
This is a 16" plate at 400yds and I'm using Eley match you can see exactly what we're talking about in regards to the vertical spread.
20210523_122710.jpg

Reactions: Moose
Rite now i am shooting SK plus.
Buy few lots and test them.

I benched few lots with chrono, precision and steady MV correlated clearly. So you can easily rank them if they are even worth shooting at longer distance.

I suggest checking action screw torque while at it, just start until it holds the action put and then slowly tighten and see how groups (10shot each) change.

1 fps difference in mv can cause a surprising amount of vertical at extended range.

Eley Tenex at 50 yard intervals out to 500 yards

200 yards 1 fps is 1/10th inch difference in poi.

300 yards it's 22/100ths

400 yards it's 39/100ths

500 yards 62/100ths.

If you get a 10 fps ES y'er gonna get at least 3.9 inches of vertical at 400 yards

DROP1-FPSTNX.jpg

Reactions: Near miss
Yep, in the rimfire game the ammo is part of the fun. You will see across many groups comments just like yours where their CCI sv or Wolf target makes one hole at 50 but out there is all over the place. As said by many before the ES's of even the high end ammo can be more than you would like.
This is a 16" plate at 400yds and I'm using Eley match you can see exactly what we're talking about in regards to the vertical spread.
View attachment 7633003
Very nice grouping for 400 yds.Love shooting long range 22 rf.

Reactions: accurate obsession
I shot some groups today with my Vudoo at 200 yards

The first group was marked and shot without the Suppressor for 5 rounds then suppressor was put back on for 7 more. A total of 12 shots of Midas + used. The first shot dropped low outside the group, the rest mixed in as you can see.

Then I made some minor dope corrections to center and align the groups better towards the middle of the plate

The average size was about 2.5" realistically speaking

View attachment 7632774
The two smaller groups are 5 shots each, with the 4 above to play with the wind a bit, it was about 8 to 10 today

The head for reference is about 6" square
Ive been shooting some Midas + up as well, and it shoots similar to your groups at 200. Its some good stuff

Not many off the shelf ammo manufacturers are going to get you where you want to be. As described by others, keep shooting different manufacturers but the same lot numbers. Eventually you will find that sweet spot. Then go out and buy as mcu of that ammo with the same lot numbers.

I'm far from an expert in this matter, but lot numbers are your friend.

My first attempt at 200 yards with little to no wind.
192A621F-66BB-4D1D-BEFD-5232F337170A.jpeg

Today I scored some mattress boxes. I’m going to try 300 next.

Ser some people getting awesome groups. Never been happy past 80m.
Sklr average 8-10cm at 167m.
Best I've gotten.

Been reading that cleaning can make a big difference in 22.

What and how are the vudoo and others cleaning their 22 for long range?
And does it matter?