• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate and Reliable Semi-Auto (High End)

Godofallu

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2018
I'm looking to get a 30th birthday present for myself and I was hoping to get a very nice semi-auto 22LR rifle. The issue is I don't have a 22LR rifle and I don't know the rimfire market at all.

I have heard the 10/22s are the gun to get and everyone should own one. While I could just drop $200 and walk away having done that I know myself and I know I will be constantly wondering what I could do to improve it. Next thing you know i'll have spent probably a grand extra on random parts when I could have just done it right from the start.

So... what semi-auto rimfire rifle would those in the know recommend? I shoot bullseye and group shooting a lot so I would like something with impressive accuracy if possible. I understand semi's are less accurate but I also find them far more fun so i'm willing to make the tradeoff.

Should I be looking for Kidd, Volquartzen, Clark Custom, Tandemkross, homebuilt 10/22 or some other crazy direction? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

You also might consider an AR platform in .22LR. I have a JP-22 which is in general 1MOA accurate out to 200y. With respect to reliability, it unfortunately does not like match ammo in hot weather - lube gets viscous and causes feeding problems - so I just shoot it in temps <70F. You'd be OK with non-lubed ammo in the heat but you'd loose accuracy.

I also have a VQ Fusion that has been constant trouble for me, so I would avoid it if I were you.

Many shooters have high regard for Kidd. There is an informative thread here:

Good luck.

if you can't find enough info here, head over to rimfirecentral.com for specifics in custom building your .22.

Are you in a hurry to purchase? I'm very interested in seeing what the forthcoming Bergara BXR 10/22 is going to be like. I'll end up ordering one of the BXR002 (carbon fiber barrel) models. From what I understand, The only change, other than optics, is I'll probably put a Kidd 2-stage trigger in it. I have yet to find any other 10/22 trigger that compares. From what I understand, they should hit the retailers later in the summer or maybe fall.

I can empathize with not wanting to get into upgrading 10/22s and just buy what you want from the get-go. The same T/CR22 10/22 clone has morphed into 3 complete rifles... so far. The one I enjoy the most is this:

While it now has a Proof Research barrel on it, the Fedderson barrels are damned close in accuracy and a whole lot less expensive. The main reason I really didn't want to buy the Kidd Supergrade was being locked into a single manufacturers barrels. It didn't make sense to me buying a version of the 10/22 with proprietary parts when one of the beauties of the 10/22 platform is the standardization so you can mix and match to get exactly what you want in a rifle. I do however see the benefit of being able to replace the barrel quickly for swapping or cleaning.

Just a warning, if you go to RFC for help be prepared to get dickheaded. When I participated in that place a while back I asked a question in the 10/22 section and the answer I got was , "Why do you want that, don't get that, get this." Of course "that" was not a RFC paid sponsor while "this" was. No explanation at all other than a clique member telling me what I needed. I have the details if anyone is interested.

As far as helping the OP and knowing what I do now this is what I would buy for a mid to upper end build.

Bolt and Bolt Stop from CTS.

Receiver from CTS.

Charge handle Kidd.

Mag release either a Grand Master extended release or the extended one from Kidd if you get his trigger group.

Barrel by Fedderson or KIDD.

Trigger. either buy the Ruger BX trigger group and send to Brimstone for their tier 1 work. Or buy this Kidd Trigger.

Stock, either the B&C Odyssey or budget wise the Pro Mag Archangel.

Side notes, a Volquartsen barrel is as nice as the others but more expensive. The B&C Odyssey is expensive, I got mine from an estate sale along with the Volquartsen barrel. The stock is very very nice and adjustable.

Here is my current 10/22. I'm waiting on a Fedderson barrel for another build to compete with it.

0609191640.jpg

Volq CPC CenterX 5-2-19.jpg
Volq CPC Pistol King NL 6-4-19.jpg

You got banned?
As I always say........screw Rimfire Feminist Central.
The site is filled with wannabe experts and they look good from far........but far from good.

T.S.

Reactions: crackerbrown
You got banned?
As I always say........screw Rimfire Feminist Central.
The site is filled with wannabe experts and they look good from far........but far from good.

T.S.
I was banned for 7 days. I'm free to post now but will never contribute the evaluations and test I do, over there again.

You saw what happened to me when I proved that toothless, stupid, moron, (Penage Guy) completely wrong.
He cried like a new born baby to the old Douche bag.

T.S.

You saw what happened to me when I proved that toothless, stupid, moron, (Penage Guy) completely wrong.
He cried like a new born baby to the old Douche bag.

T.S.
No, I missed that but would love to read about it, that is unless the mods deleted the post like they did several mine when I got the best of a clique member. They don't like to be proven wrong. Heck, they don't even like it when people have a different opinion than they do.

I have 2 CLE uppers and am very happy with them. Accuracy is well under 1 MOA and while they are not 100% reliable, they are really close to it.

So it looks like my options are to just build a nice 10/22 from the start or start with the Kidd Super grade and just be done with it.

@Kiss I would certainly be happy with that accuracy from a 22LR.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Still trying to decide on the plan. I'm looking at various 10/22 parts and guides. It's probably harder to build a gun you've never owned so that would require some build videos first.

The hardest thing about building a 10/22 the first time is to make sure you buy all the parts needed in the first place. In the actual putting it together, learning how to get the bolt and springs in and out of the receiver was tough with the Kidd setup since it's an uncaptured spring and handle on the charging assembly. This inexpensive tool makes it easier:

Watch the video on the link to see how to use it. Even if you don't build it yourself, you will need to pull the bolt for cleaning. It's worth buying the tool. I also recommend either buying his brush-n-mop tool (or building your own):

Or build your own:

It's very handy for cleaning the chamber while still on the range when the barrel is still warm.

The only real difficulty I've run into so far putting together a 10/22 was getting the Proof barrel into the Kidd receiver. I'd read enough at that point to know that cooling the barrel and heating the receiver would work. I just made sure to add some anti-seize compound for good measure.

While I could have just bought an assembled 10/22, part of the fun to me was picking exactly what parts I wanted on them.

Kidd 20 MOA base in a Titan
Stock Eley force ammo. Midas 4-16 Tac Burris signature rings to add minutes/Mils You will not be disappointed

Over the years I've probably thrown $2K in my 10/22. My number 1 piece of advice is don't buy a 10/22 with the goal of converting it. Buy a quality receiver from any other manufacturer than Ruger and start from there.

After years of struggle and buying and selling, I figured out that Ruger bored the barrel channel crooked. That has lead to various issues.

My preference for barrels is Feddersen without any hesitation. His barrels are visibly more accurate than the 2 Kidd barrels I had with my crooked receiver. Feddersen makes receivers too. I think you should use the same manufacturer for the barrel and receiver to avoid some inconsistency.

I have a Teir 1 Brimstone trigger than has held up for 1,000's of rounds and 10,000's dry fire pulls. It's well worth the money.

A good quality receiver, barrel with a Brimstone trigger is the core of an accurate rifle. The rest of the parts can be ruger since they really don't matter.

I built a bunch of 10/22 rifles and it gets expensive.But after buying a Kidd SG I will be going with another Kidd when I'm ready for another 10/22.

Reactions: garandman
I just ordered the 10/22 performance custom shop model for $650. I'll get to shoot it this to see how it runs. Supposedly a entirely refinished receiver, match barrel and a decent stock with adjustable comb.

Feddersen makes receivers too. I think you should use the same manufacturer for the barrel and receiver to avoid some inconsistency.

Have you tried any of the Feddersen receivers yet? If so, what bolt did you choose to use?

I'd thought about getting the Feddersen bronze nickel alloy receiver for my next 10/22 build.

Save yourself time and money,, you are going to there sooner or later, get a Kidd Supergrade and put it in a Titan stock, with Titan's rear anchor.

Mark

Reactions: RandomWAguy
Save yourself time and money,, you are going to there sooner or later, get a Kidd Supergrade and put it in a Titan stock, with Titan's rear anchor.

Mark

Just to clarify if I buy those three things do I have to bed anything or do any special work to install the anchor?

And do I have to pick rear anchor or w.e when ordering the action from Kidd?

Man I wish Kidd just offered a drop down with a bunch of stock options.

I just ordered the 10/22 performance custom shop model for $650. I'll get to shoot it this to see how it runs. Supposedly a entirely refinished receiver, match barrel and a decent stock with adjustable comb.

Shot my Ruger 10/22 Competition model and it shoots fantastic. Had some .4 and .5 inch Eley Tenex groups @ 100 yards. It definitely has a nice match barrel!

Pros:
Match Barrel
Buttery smooth receiver.
Semi-decent stock
2-action screw bedding
Built in 30moa rail.

Cons:
Trigger is mushy semi-2 stage, 2.5lb total pull. Would send in for the $90 brimestone job. I still managed a few .4" groups with it with Eley Tenex at 100 yards, better than what I've ever done with my other rifles...

Shot my Ruger 10/22 Competition model and it shoots fantastic. Had some .4 and .5 inch Eley Tenex groups @ 100 yards. It definitely has a nice match barrel!

Pros:
Match Barrel
Buttery smooth receiver.
Semi-decent stock
2-action screw bedding
Built in 30moa rail.

Cons:
Trigger is mushy semi-2 stage, 2.5lb total pull. Would send in for the $90 brimestone job. I still managed a few .4" groups with it with Eley Tenex at 100 yards, better than what I've ever done with my other rifles...

What about the reliability of the gun? I've heard decent groups but major headaches with ammo. Especially CCI SV which I of course have 2 boxes of.

I actually called Kidd today about the supergrade. Have yet to make a decision on the purchase.

So far I've shot 200 rounds of CCI SV, 50 rounds of Eley Target, 50 rounds of Eley Tenex, and 50 rounds of SK Long Range Match. I haven't had a single FTE or FTFeed. I had 2 Fail to Fire, due with CCI SV, where there was a definite strike on that round, but it didn't fire. I loaded it back up into the magazine and it fired the next time. Haven't had a fail to fire with any of the other ammo.

CCI SV has some 1" groups @ 100, pretty darn nice. But CCI SV in general (at least my lot) has some high SD variances, so I'll get bullets up & down.

Here's my last shooting with Eley Tenex. The 2.5 lb trigger is the cause of some of my stray shots, as I'm used to my 1lb trigger on my Tikkas -

1565049552878.png

Just to clarify if I buy those three things do I have to bed anything or do any special work to install the anchor?

Nope. The only thing is that the Victor Titan stock is not drilled to where you can remove the barrel easily without first removing the action from the stock like any other 10/22. Being able to swap barrels quickly (or remove the barrel easily for cleaning) is one of the big SuperGrade selling points.

No. Any action new from Kidd should already be setup to accept the rear anchor. If buying just a barreled action to install in a Victor Titan, do not get the optional Kidd rear anchor as you'll need the one from Victor company instead.

Man I wish Kidd just offered a drop down with a bunch of stock options.

I would also pick up the action screw from victor at the same time, some people get a wobble from the factory screw being too long.